Insert-blank-line command?

  • Sleepless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2000
      I know I'm a day late and a dollar short with this, but now that
      version 4.8 seems to be in the can, is there any chance at all of
      getting just one more WordStar command added to its repertoire?

      It's the one I forgot to put on my list of most wanted WS
      commands back when Eric was wrapping up 4.8. And by the time I
      remembered to add it to the list Eric said it was too late.

      I was hoping that there still might be some way to squeeze it in
      because it is such a useful and often used command.

      The WS command is ^N, and what it does is similar to an ordinary
      Carriage Return, like when you hit the "Enter" key to insert a
      blank line of text. For example if you have the cursor on the
      first character of a line of text, then all the text on that line
      and all the text below it is moved down one line.

      But the difference between ^N and the normal "Enter" command, is
      that the cursor doesn't jump down one line with the moved text,
      but stays right where it was when you typed the command, so it's
      now at the begiining of the new blank line.

      This command so useful it's hard to work without out it. Think
      of all the times you want to insert a new line of text in a list,
      or a new paragraph. Instead of having to hit the "Enter" key,
      and then the "Up Arrow" key, to move the cursor back up to the
      blank line to enter text, the ^N command opens up the blank line
      with your cursor in the leftmost column, ready for you to start
      typing.

      I know it's probably a pipe dream to expect a new command at
      this late stage of the game. But they say it never hurts to ask
      :)