Tiny squares in text?!

  • Sleepless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 2000
      I keep my "Things-to-do" list in an always-open second window in
      NTP. Today when I looked at the list, shortly after booting up I
      was perplexed to find that each line in the list begins with a
      tiny graphic symbol of a square. I've noted at times in the past
      that that symbol often appears to denote an undisplayable
      character.

      Why do you suppose it suddenly made its appearance today at the
      beginning of each line in the file?
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2000
        Hi Sleepless,

        > ...I was perplexed to find that each line in the list begins
        > with a tiny graphic symbol of a square. I've noted at times in
        > the past that that symbol often appears to denote an
        > undisplayable character.
        >
        > Why do you suppose it suddenly made its appearance today at the
        > beginning of each line in the file?

        I don't know why that would happen. You can select one of them
        to see if it is a page break though which will be a ^b in the
        Find dialog.

        You and do a replace on them to get rid of them or try using
        Adjust Line Breaks under Modify | Lines | Adjust Line Breaks.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
      • Stefan Elssner
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2000
          Hi Sleepless,

          >NTP. Today when I looked at the list, shortly after booting up I
          >was perplexed to find that each line in the list begins with a
          >tiny graphic symbol of a square. I've noted at times in the past

          For all I know you *must* had any changes either on the file, or on your
          machine's situation to get that different behaviour ... Any chances that
          you have altered the file in question with another program than NoteTab
          (at least, with another non-plain-text-editor)?

          The character used by NoteTab to show non-printables is variable,
          default is a period (?) -> this '.' AFAIK.

          Stefan
          ---
          elssner@...
        • Gary Luther
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2000
            Hello Stefan,

            Saturday, April 29, 2000, 12:22:22 PM, you wrote:

            SE> Hi Sleepless,

            >>NTP. Today when I looked at the list, shortly after booting up I
            >>was perplexed to find that each line in the list begins with a
            >>tiny graphic symbol of a square.

            Just my 2 cents. But I find that this happens in other programs under
            W98 when you are very low on resources. It always clears up with a
            reboot.

            You gotta love Windows. If I don't reboot 3-4 times a day it has been
            a really bad day!! Linux running windows apps??.....yeah, that's the
            ticket. Hurry up.

            --
            Best regards,
            Gary mailto:gkluther@...