[NTB] Converting .txt files into outline files

  • Paul M. King
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2000
      Hi Jody:

      I have a slug of .txt files in C:/Program Files/NoteTab Pro/Documents.
      I want to move these to the new outline section and I'm confused. (The
      story of my life. :-)

      I understand the process of creating the .otl file, naming it, and naming
      the first heading. I have created several of these.

      I bog down trying to move .txt files (from their folder noted above) into
      the outline section. That's really what my last two posts were all about.

      What works best for me is Document | Insert File. This appears to be a
      cut and paste in a single command and deletes the original file name. I
      do not understand how I can save or alter the old file name which will
      be reflected somehow in the new outline heading.

      Can you explain?

      PK
    • Paul M. King
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2000
        At 03:02 AM 4/2/00 -0600, you wrote:
        >Hi Paul,
        >
        > > I bog down trying to move .txt files (from their folder noted
        > > above) into the outline section. That's really what my last two
        > > posts were all about.
        > >
        > > What works best for me is Document | Insert File. This appears
        > > to be a cut and paste in a single command and deletes the
        > > original file name. I do not understand how I can save or alter
        > > the old file name which will be reflected somehow in the new
        > > outline heading.
        >
        >What you are trying to do manually would be best to do with a
        >Clip. It could do it all in a matter of seconds or minutes
        >depending on how many a "slug" is. <G> I can build one for you
        >if you wish and actually I think I already have a nice one made.
        >It is a very easy Clip to write if one knows Clip writing.
        >
        >If a "slug" is only a dozen or so files, then there are a few
        >ways you could do it manually. I think this might be easiest for you.

        Hi Jody:

        I have moved the files manually, but I would not want to move
        multiple files that way again. Apparently my questions about
        saving a .txt file name were meaningless as I have had to create
        a new outline name before moving them.

        Tomorrow, I'll try the method you describe for a new set of files.

        This exercise has motivated me to get cracking on building
        clips. So far, my skill extends only to a few lines and simple
        commands.

        Build me a clip that will do the job only if you have the time as
        now I will be pestering you over on the Clip list. |8--)>

        Without your counsel, I would have up a creek on this one, Jody.

        PK
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2000
          Hi Paul,

          > I bog down trying to move .txt files (from their folder noted
          > above) into the outline section. That's really what my last two
          > posts were all about.
          >
          > What works best for me is Document | Insert File. This appears
          > to be a cut and paste in a single command and deletes the
          > original file name. I do not understand how I can save or alter
          > the old file name which will be reflected somehow in the new
          > outline heading.

          What you are trying to do manually would be best to do with a
          Clip. It could do it all in a matter of seconds or minutes
          depending on how many a "slug" is. <G> I can build one for you
          if you wish and actually I think I already have a nice one made.
          It is a very easy Clip to write if one knows Clip writing.

          If a "slug" is only a dozen or so files, then there are a few
          ways you could do it manually. I think this might be easiest for you.

          Make a new Outline or open one.
          Make sure Show Headings *is* checked.
          Open 10 text files at a time so it is easier to manage.
          Focus the first one you want to add.
          - Make sure you have Auto Save turned off! -
          Make a blank line for line one by hitting return.
          Place your cursor on that line.
          Press Shift and F5.
          Copy All via the Toolbar, Shortcut, or Ctrl+A and then Ctrl+C.
          Focus the Outline and choose "Add from Clipboard."
          Leave the name as is with the path and choose OK (Enter).
          You will see the path and filename twice.
          Select every thing above the start of the file name on line 2.
          Leave only the file name unselected and all text below it.
          Press Ctrl+X, Backspace, Cut or whatever to delete the selection.
          Go to the doc you copied from and close it without saving.
          Repeat the above steps till all ten are done.
          You might want to periodically save the Outline, perhaps for each new Topic.
          Open the next group and repeat until completed.

          You may find some of the steps easier to do a different way.
          There are other ways to do what you want, but it is kind of like
          6 of one and a half dozen of another.

          Like I said though, a Clip would know it out in no time. ;)

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab