[NTB] Moving text files to new outline headings

  • Paul M. King
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      Hi Jody:

      When one moves a text file from a folder to an outline
      heading, the old title disappears. Ordinarily this presents
      no problem because the text itself would reveal the content.

      However, I have just moved a file which contained ciphertext
      and recovering its original file name is complicated. I must
      match it with hard copy (which I have) to identify it properly.
      But I will have to compare it with multiple pieces of hard copy
      to make a positive identification.

      Now, I realize I should have used the copy command here instead
      of the cut command, but I didn't. And you can bet I won't do THAT again
      with ciphertext.

      My question: In this situation, is there any way for me to recover
      the original title of an NTP.txt file once it has been cut and pasted
      into the Outline section?

      I like the outline format very much. It will greatly simplify many filing
      problems once I become adept with it.

      Paul King
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
        Hi Paul,

        > When one moves a text file from a folder to an outline heading,
        > the old title disappears. Ordinarily this presents no problem
        > because the text itself would reveal the content.
        >
        > However, I have just moved a file which contained ciphertext
        > and recovering its original file name is complicated. I must
        > match it with hard copy (which I have) to identify it properly.
        > But I will have to compare it with multiple pieces of hard copy
        > to make a positive identification.

        If you right click over the Topic names and uncheck Show
        Headings, you will not run into that "problem." If you like to
        Show Headings, then do not delete, cut, or paste over the first
        line in the Topic contents for it is the Heading. ;)

        > My question: In this situation, is there any way for me to
        > recover the original title of an NTP.txt file once it has been
        > cut and pasted into the Outline section?

        I don't quite understand your question but if you mean to recover
        the Outline Topic Heading:

        Only if:
        You do not save the file and then Reload Document.
        You do not save the file and close without saving.
        You may use Undo in the unsaved state.
        You saved the file but have not closed it and you use the Undo
        tool *if* you have Undo after save checked.

        If you are talking about the text file had a title in it and you
        saved/closed the file after it was removed, no, it has gone out
        to never never land somewhere.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...