[NTB] Re: How do I get files to open with Pro instead ofStandard?

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2000
      Hi Brenda,

      >duh! YES!!! :)))) It works. Mark, thank you so much. I was just
      >going nuts with this issue. Am I the only one who has days like
      this???

      Certainly not!!! ;-))

      >So, now..... all I'm left with is: old Standard's icons on are each
      .txt
      >file. I would rather see my Pro icons....

      In case the problem with the icons is not to be solved by a simple
      restart of the computer:

      1) Try to associate txt files again from within NoteTab
      (View|Options|Associations) or
      2) Have you the MS PowerToys installed? Then use Tweak UI (normally in
      Windows' System Settings (or what it is in English) after installing of
      the PowerToys) and there Repair|Rebuild Icons. Most times that proved to
      be of help with such issues. or
      NoteTab Pro or the like, look for Change Icon, and search for the
      notepro.exe (you should have a good idea now, where it resists ;-) ) to
      choose the icon you wish to see...

      Stefan
      ---
      elssner@...
    • Brenda Adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2000
        Thanks Jody and Stefan -- problem is now solved.

        Remember? I'd loaded Pro and couldn't get the icons to change, even
        after changing icon using NoteTab's 'association' -- change setting --
        and after also making Open With point to Pro's exe? (IT had wanted to keep
        my old Notetab Standard icons...and, instead, I wanted them to match 'the
        look' of my other Pro icons on toolbar, etc.)

        Well.... I re-read both your notes and began stumbling about -- getting
        ready to try the various steps you suggested. I went back to Open With
        and set it AGAIN (because Stefan suggested I go back there, so I started my
        experiments there) and BAM! For some reason, THE SECOND time I set it to
        OPEN WITH all the icons changed to the desired ones! ! !! (Two times
        works! I've no clue why! ha!)

        So, Open With/set it to point to NoteTab Pro, then if icons don't
        change (even tho' Associations within Notetab have been changed and icon
        re-set)...GO BACK and set OPEN WITH again! Desired icons will pop into
        place. Worked for me.

        Thanks for you help!!! :)))))) Nice to have you holding my hands when I
        get shakey!

        Brenda Adams

        >I wrote:
        >
        > >So, now..... all I'm left with is: old Standard's icons on are each
        >.txt file. I would rather see my Pro icons....

        Stefan Elssner wrote: <snip>

        >In case the problem with the icons is not to be solved by a simple
        >restart of the computer:
        >
        >1) Try to associate txt files again from within NoteTab
        >(View|Options|Associations) or
        >2) Have you the MS PowerToys installed? Then use Tweak UI (normally in
        >Windows' System Settings (or what it is in English) after installing of
        >the PowerToys) and there Repair|Rebuild Icons. Most times that proved to
        >be of help with such issues. or
        >NoteTab Pro or the like, look for Change Icon, and search for the
        >notepro.exe (you should have a good idea now, where it resists ;-) ) to
        >choose the icon you wish to see...

        Jody Adair wrote: <snip>

        Anyway, try, at your own risk of doing yourself bodily harm
        should things get worse, <grin>, going to NoteTab's Associations
        tab in Pro and associate the files with Pro. If they are already
        associated, Remove them, and Add again. You might also try the
        program icon under the View tab, but I do not think that will
        make any difference.
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 30, 2000
          Hi Brenda,

          > So, Open With/set it to point to NoteTab Pro, then if icons
          > don't change (even tho' Associations within Notetab have been
          > changed and icon re-set)...GO BACK and set OPEN WITH again!
          > Desired icons will pop into place. Worked for me.

          I'm glad you got it fixed.

          I use a Clip to change the icons of the files I have associated
          with NoteTab via the registry. It sure beats messing around in
          Windows Explorer's Options. The only drawback is I don't get to
          see the new icon till I restart Windows. If I don't feel like
          restarting and want to see the right away I can go to Windows
          Explorer | Folder Options | File Types and double click on
          NoteTab Pro [type] File then just press OK to everything to close
          the windows. The icon is then updated in Windows Explorer.

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab