[NTB] Re: Bug or not it Bugs me

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2000
      Hi Michael, hi all,

      Yes. I encountered this problem too. See my reply after the org message.
      I don't cut the org message much, because its needed for understanding
      the prob maybe ...

      >Here it is: You know how when you are updating a live page there are
      >sometime file locks and you can't save the page right away. Up comes a
      >dialogue box saying so, and you can click on "OK" to acknowledge.
      >
      >So I generally click on OK, and then I sometimes go to my browser and
      click
      >on "stop" or "back" to get it to quit interacting with the page in
      question.
      >Then I'll tab back into NoteTab and go about saving the file. It might
      take
      >a half minute but usually less for the server to release the file for
      >updating.
      >
      >Well, as long as I click on the "Error" box prior to going to do my
      business
      >with the browser, no problem. But - if I forget to do so, and tab over
      to IE
      >and then back to NoteTab, the Error box won't close. the "ok button
      >depresses like it's alive and active, but the window doesn't close. It
      just
      >stays and stays. I can three-finger salute it, and close the program
      called
      >Error in the list of running programs (End Task) but NoteTab closes
      with the
      >Error window.

      From Stefan / My Addition:

      It is a rather esoteric issue, but it seems to be a NoteTab 'problem'
      at least, if it is not really to be considered a bug:

      Running Win95 4.00.950.B (german), NoteTab Pro 4.8 v.4.8.0.35

      Sometimes in a DOS Window, I use an old utility named "see.com" to have
      a short look on text files - it's kind of an improved type-command.
      Somehow the files are locked while I viewing them - as far as I remember
      other old 16-bit Apps, even Windows-Apps, use to behave the same way.

      Now, while have a file open with see, and change the same file
      therewhile in NoteTab and try to save it, a message box pops up telling
      the file could not create. OK so far. Clicking it away, closing see,
      saving again works fine.

      But if I do *not* click away the message first, but first close see and
      switch back to NoteTab, I can't click away the message then, and NoteTab
      hangs and must be killed via ctrl+alt+del|Taskmanager. Sometimes after
      restarting NoteTab it hangs again, and I have to restart Windows
      entirely to solve the prob.

      I've cross-checked this using Yutaka Emura's EmEditor 1.27, and there
      the handling was o.k. - I was able to switch to the dos box and close
      see first, then click away the error message and save my file.

      So maybe the matter is in fact of interest.

      Regards,
      Stefan

      ---
      elssner@...
      elssner@...
      Currently the gmx address seems to be unreliable.
      Therefore Reply is set to elssner@...
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2000
        Stefan and all others

        I also have recurring problem about twice a week with error screen that
        will not die. Sometimes after restarting the computer (Power off|Power on)
        the error screen comes up again immediately after reboot. If so, I reboot
        again. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it takes 5-8 minutes to
        get back on track. Restart seems less able to douse the error than a
        complete reboot.

        I run Win98 with MSIE5.0 and NTP 4.8/np on a Pentium II.

        Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2000
          Hi Ray,

          > I also have recurring problem about twice a week with error
          > screen that will not die.

          Try hitting the ESC key next time it happens. I realize that is
          a Band-Aid, but sometimes they make the hurting go away. ;-)

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab