[NTB] Re: Tables

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
      At 04:04 PM 3/1/00 -0500, Mujtaba Ali wrote:

      >I don't want to reignite any "flame" wars, but I was wondering if anyone
      >else would find a certain word processing-like feature useful- namely
      >tables. I don't mean anything fancy, just "pure" text tables. I make these
      >all the time and it would be very useful if NoteTab supported this. How,
      >exactly, is something that would require a lot of thought since we are
      >dealing with just plain text, but I think it can be done. Is there any
      >demand for this?

      Well, I for one, would really like it. Very frequently I need to make up
      text tables with multiline entries in each box. And then later edit these
      entries. These are not simple, single data items that would come from a
      database but complete thoughts, points, ideas, etc created online. For
      example, creating a comparison table with pros and cons for a number of
      items. Or maintaining a 2 or 3 up adddress list is another example.
      Something as useful as this would have lots of applications. Doing this by
      overlaying text while always having to monitor character position is a
      pain. There are some work arounds, thanks to NTB's block mode, but they are
      still kind of kludgy.

      Short of fancy word processor or DTP programs I haven't seen anything
      capable of column editing since the "Good Old Days" of Quiktran & time
      sharing on a 300 baud hard copy terminal! Back then we had an editor (char
      mode - full screens didn't exist), where we could restrict any editing to a
      user defined, columnar "zone". We defined the beginning and ending columns
      in a zone command and then any editing had no effect outside of the "zone".
      New or changed text wrapped/unwrapped within the "zone". The "zone"
      extended from the beginning to the end of the file. Obviously, we were
      dealing with fixed pitch characters. Tabs were always converted to spaces
      so that was not an issue. There was a toggle to go in or out of zone mode
      to facilitate, for example, adding blank lines, page ejects, etc.

      I don't know how difficult this would be to implement in NoteTab but since
      there is already a block mode cut & paste perhaps the capability is almost
      there as "column" ("zone") mode is simply an interactive "block" mode.
      Combined with the existing block mode cut & paste, a column editing feature
      would be awesome!

      Long Live NoteTab!

      Art Kocsis
      DWIMNWIT

    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2000
        Art Kocsis wrote:

        > Art Kocsis
        > DWIMNWIT

        Art -- what is this? "Doing What I Most Nearly Want Is Tricky"... or
        is it a morph of "DIMWIT"... or what?? :-)

        BTW, TIA...

        oOOo-(_)-oOOo
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
          At 10:30 AM 3/3/00 -0500, Carl Swann wrote:

          >> Art Kocsis
          >> DWIMNWIT

          >Art -- what is this? "Doing What I Most Nearly Want Is Tricky"... or
          >is it a morph of "DIMWIT"... or what?? :-)

          Observant eye Carl. Just testing to see if anyone is awake:
          I like yours as well and oh so true.

          Do What I Mean, Not What I Type! (Updated for the computer age)
          Namaste', Art

        • Sleepless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 19, 2000
            I've use NTP to create a little table to help me remember all
            the diffent passwords for varios accounts like this:

            ACCOUNT PASSWORD LOG-IN I.D.
            ------- -------- -----------
            XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX
            XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
            XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXX
            XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
            XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
            XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

            I used the Tab key to line up the beginings of the columns.

            But now I think I'd like to swap the PASSWORD and LOG-IN I.D.
            columns.

            I've tried the block Modify|Block|Cut and Modify|Block|Paste
            commands, but the table always gets scrambled up when I do that.

            How can I switch around the columns so that LOG-IN I.D. is the
            second column and PASSWORD is the third column?