[NTB] Re: Tables

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hi,

      >Also, the thing is that I don't want a database. Like many users, I
      >actually write 50% of my documents in NoteTab. The remaining 50% are
      >drafted in NoteTab first so I don't lose focus and concentrate only on
      >content (I'm weird, I know.)

      I dare to say you seem to be rather on the right side ... ;-)

      >clips rather than being incorporated into the main program. Also, I
      edit
      >these tables a lot, so these clips would require a lot of programming
      >effort to make them really useful. Oh boy! ;)

      Perhaps that could be a workaround in the meanwhile (while you're
      happily working on the clip :-) ):
      Making blank templates of your most used tables and fill the content
      in using the overwrite feature triggered by the keyboard's 'insert' key?

      Just in case you hadn't try this already and found it working too bad
      for you ...

      Otherwise - No Offense Meant ;-)

      Stefan
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
        At 04:04 PM 3/1/00 -0500, Mujtaba Ali wrote:

        >I don't want to reignite any "flame" wars, but I was wondering if anyone
        >else would find a certain word processing-like feature useful- namely
        >tables. I don't mean anything fancy, just "pure" text tables. I make these
        >all the time and it would be very useful if NoteTab supported this. How,
        >exactly, is something that would require a lot of thought since we are
        >dealing with just plain text, but I think it can be done. Is there any
        >demand for this?

        Well, I for one, would really like it. Very frequently I need to make up
        text tables with multiline entries in each box. And then later edit these
        entries. These are not simple, single data items that would come from a
        database but complete thoughts, points, ideas, etc created online. For
        example, creating a comparison table with pros and cons for a number of
        items. Or maintaining a 2 or 3 up adddress list is another example.
        Something as useful as this would have lots of applications. Doing this by
        overlaying text while always having to monitor character position is a
        pain. There are some work arounds, thanks to NTB's block mode, but they are
        still kind of kludgy.

        Short of fancy word processor or DTP programs I haven't seen anything
        capable of column editing since the "Good Old Days" of Quiktran & time
        sharing on a 300 baud hard copy terminal! Back then we had an editor (char
        mode - full screens didn't exist), where we could restrict any editing to a
        user defined, columnar "zone". We defined the beginning and ending columns
        in a zone command and then any editing had no effect outside of the "zone".
        New or changed text wrapped/unwrapped within the "zone". The "zone"
        extended from the beginning to the end of the file. Obviously, we were
        dealing with fixed pitch characters. Tabs were always converted to spaces
        so that was not an issue. There was a toggle to go in or out of zone mode
        to facilitate, for example, adding blank lines, page ejects, etc.

        I don't know how difficult this would be to implement in NoteTab but since
        there is already a block mode cut & paste perhaps the capability is almost
        there as "column" ("zone") mode is simply an interactive "block" mode.
        Combined with the existing block mode cut & paste, a column editing feature
        would be awesome!

        Long Live NoteTab!

        Art Kocsis
        DWIMNWIT

      • Carl Swann
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2000
          Art Kocsis wrote:

          > Art Kocsis
          > DWIMNWIT

          Art -- what is this? "Doing What I Most Nearly Want Is Tricky"... or
          is it a morph of "DIMWIT"... or what?? :-)

          BTW, TIA...

          oOOo-(_)-oOOo
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
            At 10:30 AM 3/3/00 -0500, Carl Swann wrote:

            >> Art Kocsis
            >> DWIMNWIT

            >Art -- what is this? "Doing What I Most Nearly Want Is Tricky"... or
            >is it a morph of "DIMWIT"... or what?? :-)

            Observant eye Carl. Just testing to see if anyone is awake:
            I like yours as well and oh so true.

            Do What I Mean, Not What I Type! (Updated for the computer age)
            Namaste', Art

          • Sleepless in Seattle
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 19, 2000
              I've use NTP to create a little table to help me remember all
              the diffent passwords for varios accounts like this:

              ACCOUNT PASSWORD LOG-IN I.D.
              ------- -------- -----------
              XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX
              XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
              XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXX
              XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
              XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
              XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

              I used the Tab key to line up the beginings of the columns.

              But now I think I'd like to swap the PASSWORD and LOG-IN I.D.
              columns.

              I've tried the block Modify|Block|Cut and Modify|Block|Paste
              commands, but the table always gets scrambled up when I do that.

              How can I switch around the columns so that LOG-IN I.D. is the
              second column and PASSWORD is the third column?