[NTB] Re: Tables

  • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
      Mujtaba Ali <mali@...> wrote:
      >Hi,
      >
      >I don't want to reignite any "flame" wars, but I was wondering if anyone
      >else would find a certain word processing-like feature useful- namely
      >tables. I don't mean anything fancy, just "pure" text tables. I make these
      >all the time and it would be very useful if NoteTab supported this. How,
      >exactly, is something that would require a lot of thought since we are
      >dealing with just plain text, but I think it can be done. Is there any
      >demand for this? I have a sample below. Note that your mail reader must be
      >set to a fixed width font to see this sample properly (copy and paste it
      >into NoteTab if the sample appears distorted.) Have a nice day everyone.
      >
      >------------------
      >| 5 | A St | MD |
      >| 3 | B Ave | VA |
      >| | G Dr | DC |
      >------------------
      >
      >-- Mujtaba Ali

      For anything complicated, you'll want to just use a real database program.

      For just a simple fill in the blanks table, that can be aided with just
      a few clips, if anyone wants to write them.

      --
      Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
    • Mujtaba Ali
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2000
        Yes, you are right. A clip library could be written to accomplish this.
        Dare I venture on that path... ? :)

        Also, the thing is that I don't want a database. Like many users, I
        actually write 50% of my documents in NoteTab. The remaining 50% are
        drafted in NoteTab first so I don't lose focus and concentrate only on
        content (I'm weird, I know.) Many times I make tables, like you would in a
        regular word processor; to give an example or demonstrate a point or
        something.

        Just wanted to clear that up so you know what I mean. But you are correct,
        this kind of "vertical", "specialized" functionality is best left to custom
        clips rather than being incorporated into the main program. Also, I edit
        these tables a lot, so these clips would require a lot of programming
        effort to make them really useful. Oh boy! ;)

        Looks like I'll be on the clips mailing list soon.

        -- Mujtaba Ali

        >I don't want to reignite any "flame" wars, but I was wondering if anyone
        >else would find a certain word processing-like feature useful- namely
        >tables. I don't mean anything fancy, just "pure" text tables. I make
        these
        >all the time and it would be very useful if NoteTab supported this. How,
        >exactly, is something that would require a lot of thought since we are
        >dealing with just plain text, but I think it can be done. Is there any
        >demand for this? I have a sample below. Note that your mail reader must be
        >set to a fixed width font to see this sample properly (copy and paste it
        >into NoteTab if the sample appears distorted.) Have a nice day everyone.
        >
        >------------------
        >| 5 | A St | MD |
        >| 3 | B Ave | VA |
        >| | G Dr | DC |
        >------------------
        >
        >-- Mujtaba Ali

        For anything complicated, you'll want to just use a real database program.

        For just a simple fill in the blanks table, that can be aided with just
        a few clips, if anyone wants to write them.

        --
        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen

        DON'T HATE YOUR RATE!
        Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
        Apply NOW!
        http://click.egroups.com/1/2065/4/_/2478/_/951945101/

        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab/
      • Stefan Elssner
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
          Hi,

          >Also, the thing is that I don't want a database. Like many users, I
          >actually write 50% of my documents in NoteTab. The remaining 50% are
          >drafted in NoteTab first so I don't lose focus and concentrate only on
          >content (I'm weird, I know.)

          I dare to say you seem to be rather on the right side ... ;-)

          >clips rather than being incorporated into the main program. Also, I
          edit
          >these tables a lot, so these clips would require a lot of programming
          >effort to make them really useful. Oh boy! ;)

          Perhaps that could be a workaround in the meanwhile (while you're
          happily working on the clip :-) ):
          Making blank templates of your most used tables and fill the content
          in using the overwrite feature triggered by the keyboard's 'insert' key?

          Just in case you hadn't try this already and found it working too bad
          for you ...

          Otherwise - No Offense Meant ;-)

          Stefan
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2000
            At 04:04 PM 3/1/00 -0500, Mujtaba Ali wrote:

            >I don't want to reignite any "flame" wars, but I was wondering if anyone
            >else would find a certain word processing-like feature useful- namely
            >tables. I don't mean anything fancy, just "pure" text tables. I make these
            >all the time and it would be very useful if NoteTab supported this. How,
            >exactly, is something that would require a lot of thought since we are
            >dealing with just plain text, but I think it can be done. Is there any
            >demand for this?

            Well, I for one, would really like it. Very frequently I need to make up
            text tables with multiline entries in each box. And then later edit these
            entries. These are not simple, single data items that would come from a
            database but complete thoughts, points, ideas, etc created online. For
            example, creating a comparison table with pros and cons for a number of
            items. Or maintaining a 2 or 3 up adddress list is another example.
            Something as useful as this would have lots of applications. Doing this by
            overlaying text while always having to monitor character position is a
            pain. There are some work arounds, thanks to NTB's block mode, but they are
            still kind of kludgy.

            Short of fancy word processor or DTP programs I haven't seen anything
            capable of column editing since the "Good Old Days" of Quiktran & time
            sharing on a 300 baud hard copy terminal! Back then we had an editor (char
            mode - full screens didn't exist), where we could restrict any editing to a
            user defined, columnar "zone". We defined the beginning and ending columns
            in a zone command and then any editing had no effect outside of the "zone".
            New or changed text wrapped/unwrapped within the "zone". The "zone"
            extended from the beginning to the end of the file. Obviously, we were
            dealing with fixed pitch characters. Tabs were always converted to spaces
            so that was not an issue. There was a toggle to go in or out of zone mode
            to facilitate, for example, adding blank lines, page ejects, etc.

            I don't know how difficult this would be to implement in NoteTab but since
            there is already a block mode cut & paste perhaps the capability is almost
            there as "column" ("zone") mode is simply an interactive "block" mode.
            Combined with the existing block mode cut & paste, a column editing feature
            would be awesome!

            Long Live NoteTab!

            Art Kocsis
            DWIMNWIT

          • Carl Swann
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2000
              Art Kocsis wrote:

              > Art Kocsis
              > DWIMNWIT

              Art -- what is this? "Doing What I Most Nearly Want Is Tricky"... or
              is it a morph of "DIMWIT"... or what?? :-)

              BTW, TIA...

              oOOo-(_)-oOOo
            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2000
                At 10:30 AM 3/3/00 -0500, Carl Swann wrote:

                >> Art Kocsis
                >> DWIMNWIT

                >Art -- what is this? "Doing What I Most Nearly Want Is Tricky"... or
                >is it a morph of "DIMWIT"... or what?? :-)

                Observant eye Carl. Just testing to see if anyone is awake:
                I like yours as well and oh so true.

                Do What I Mean, Not What I Type! (Updated for the computer age)
                Namaste', Art

              • Sleepless in Seattle
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 19, 2000
                  I've use NTP to create a little table to help me remember all
                  the diffent passwords for varios accounts like this:

                  ACCOUNT PASSWORD LOG-IN I.D.
                  ------- -------- -----------
                  XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXX
                  XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
                  XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXX
                  XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX
                  XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX
                  XXXXXX XXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXX

                  I used the Tab key to line up the beginings of the columns.

                  But now I think I'd like to swap the PASSWORD and LOG-IN I.D.
                  columns.

                  I've tried the block Modify|Block|Cut and Modify|Block|Paste
                  commands, but the table always gets scrambled up when I do that.

                  How can I switch around the columns so that LOG-IN I.D. is the
                  second column and PASSWORD is the third column?