[NTB] Why does 4.8/np seek floppy drive?

  • Dr. Jai Maharaj
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
      Greetings, I recently upgraded to 4.8/np (Full version),
      (*.exe file version 4.8.0.33), (Win 98) -- thanks for all
      the great, new features! I saved a *.txt file to a
      floppy disk in drive A: , but now Note Tab "rattles" the
      A: drive (no disk in it, use floppy rarely) whenever
      File|New is selected, or sometimes when ctrl-x (or,
      Edit|Cut) is used. Is this a Note Tab or a Windows bug? TIA

      Jai Maharaj
      jai@...
      Om Shanti
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
        Hi Dr. Jai,

        > I saved a *.txt file to a floppy disk in drive A: , but now
        > Note Tab "rattles" the A: drive (no disk in it, use floppy
        > rarely) whenever File|New is selected, or sometimes when ctrl-x
        > (or, Edit|Cut) is used.

        I believe that is a Windows thing although another user told me
        the same thing. What you described has happened to me from
        within Windows Explorer quite a few times. I don't recall it
        happening from NoteTab and I copy programs to floppies and then
        test the floppies from the same clip all in one run. It happened
        to me more on my old 95 machine, but when I upgraded to 98 and
        new MB, etc. I also got a new floppy drive and I see it happen
        very rarely now. The "fix" for me is to go to Windows Explorer
        and click on another drive somewhere. you might try using a
        ChDir in your clip if you are doing it that way after the copy is
        done.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
      • PatHanneman
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2000
          Clearing windows document history from the task bar helps as does clearing that queue within notetab. - Reopen: clear list - and start again.

          patH

          At 02/26/2000 , Jody wrote:
          >Hi Dr. Jai,
          >
          > > I saved a *.txt file to a floppy disk in drive A: , but now
          > > Note Tab "rattles" the A: drive (no disk in it, use floppy
          > > rarely) whenever File|New is selected, or sometimes when ctrl-x
          > > (or, Edit|Cut) is used.
          >
          >I believe that is a Windows thing although another user told me
          >the same thing. What you described has happened to me from
          >within Windows Explorer quite a few times. I don't recall it
          >happening from NoteTab and I copy programs to floppies and then
          >test the floppies from the same clip all in one run. It happened
          >to me more on my old 95 machine, but when I upgraded to 98 and
          >new MB, etc. I also got a new floppy drive and I see it happen
          >very rarely now. The "fix" for me is to go to Windows Explorer
          >and click on another drive somewhere. you might try using a
          >ChDir in your clip if you are doing it that way after the copy is
          >done.
          >
          >Happy NoteTab'n,
          >Jody Adair

          health-e-cooking!
          Pat Hanneman (http://home.earthlink.net/~kitpath/)
          Revised! McTagit.exe and clipbooks (version 4)
        • JDOLAN
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
            Greetings,

            I had the same "A" drive rattling on a new computer even before NT was
            installed. The mfgr replaced the drive but rattle still exists. They
            advised me to just keep a blank disk in the drive all the time and it
            will go away. Apparently they don't know the cause either. So now with
            a disk always present in the drive I have no shake, rattle and roll.
            Just one of those PC quirks I guess but I fret no longer.

            Jay
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
              Hi JDOLAN,

              > I had the same "A" drive rattling on a new computer even before
              > NT was installed. The mfgr replaced the drive but rattle still
              > exists. They advised me to just keep a blank disk in the drive
              > all the time and it will go away.

              Thanks for the info which seems to clear NoteTab of any wrong
              doing as we suspected. If users have their settings set to seek
              floppy A on boot though they will get a system disk error if they
              forget to take it out. I get the same thing on my zip drive every
              now and then and have never used NoteTab with it.

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
              mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
              http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
            • Len
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                Hi Jay, All;

                I am considering buying a new computer and I have some
                questions which I will post on the Off Topic list.

                Thanks for the info, Len

                At 09:30 AM 02/29/2000 -0800, you wrote:
                >Greetings,
                >
                >I had the same "A" drive rattling on a new computer even before NT was
                >installed. The mfgr replaced the drive but rattle still exists. They
                >advised me to just keep a blank disk in the drive all the time and it
                >will go away. Apparently they don't know the cause either. So now with
                >a disk always present in the drive I have no shake, rattle and roll.
                >Just one of those PC quirks I guess but I fret no longer.
                >
                >Jay

                Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                Avionics Systems Engineer
                E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
              • Harvey R. Savage
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                  Hi Jody,

                  In the MSDOS world there is a cure for the usual disk errors if
                  you don't have a 'system floppy' in drive a:. There is, at the
                  end of this link, a PCMAG utility named 'BOOT2C.COM'. When this
                  program, is used in accordance with the instructions, the floppy
                  can remain in drive a: with no ill effects. The program writes
                  to the boot sector of the floppy initially redirecting the boot
                  process to the c:drive.

                  Works good, I've used it on occasion. Should stop rattling
                  floppy drives and boot errors because of a wrong disk in the
                  floppy drive.

                  http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?fcode=000OJI

                  hrs

                  --
                  ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                  ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                    Hi Harvey,

                    Thanks for the tip. I just don't seek the drive via my CMOS
                    setup when I don't want it to and if need be change its setup
                    later. If we need to discussed this more let's do so on the OT
                    list. Thanks.

                    > In the MSDOS world there is a cure for the usual disk errors if
                    > you don't have a 'system floppy' in drive a:. There is, at the
                    > end of this link, a PCMAG utility named 'BOOT2C.COM'.

                    >http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?fcode=000OJI

                    Happy Off-Topic'n!
                    Jody

                    The NoteTab Off-Topic List
                    mailto:NoteTab-OT-Subscribe@...
                  • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                      Hi All,

                      On Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:47:14 -0600 "Harvey R. Savage"
                      <hsavage@...> writes:
                      > In the MSDOS world there is a cure for the usual disk errors if
                      > you don't have a 'system floppy' in drive a:. There is, at the
                      > end of this link, a PCMAG utility named 'BOOT2C.COM'. When this

                      I believe that this may be a BIOS setting. There may also be an issue
                      with Win98, but my memory is vague on this (I'm still using Win95).

                      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
                      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
                      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

                      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • Len
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 29, 2000
                        Hi Jay, All;

                        I am considering buying a new computer and I have some
                        questions which I will post on the Off Topic list.

                        Thanks for the info, Len

                        At 09:30 AM 02/29/2000 -0800, you wrote:
                        >Greetings,
                        >
                        >I had the same "A" drive rattling on a new computer even before NT was
                        >installed. The mfgr replaced the drive but rattle still exists. They
                        >advised me to just keep a blank disk in the drive all the time and it
                        >will go away. Apparently they don't know the cause either. So now with
                        >a disk always present in the drive I have no shake, rattle and roll.
                        >Just one of those PC quirks I guess but I fret no longer.
                        >
                        >Jay

                        Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                        Avionics Systems Engineer
                        E-Mail: Len <NoteTabA@...>
                      • Bill Scott
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 2, 2000
                          Hi All:
                          can someone give me a clue as to how I would go about replacing the numbers
                          in this file with a comma ? Not a single programing bone in my body .....
                          They will be used as keywords for my meta tags .....
                          bible verse
                          147
                          bible verse search
                          97