[NTB] Re: NT Light opens instead of NTP when I click on afileicon

  • Sleepless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2000
      Larry Thomas wrote:
      Great work, Larry! I think you have put your finger on the
      problem!

      But I can't quite get it fixed. I might have to personally email
      you some screen shots of the dialogue boxes so you'll be able to
      see the problem I'm having. But first I'll try to explain it as
      best I can.

      I followed your instructions:

      > First, I start Explorer and then select View|Folder Options. I think that
      > Windows 95 does not have a Folder Options selection under the View menu but
      > you can select Options there. On the dialog that comes up there is a tab
      > labelled "File Types". Click this and scroll down the list of associations
      > until you come to the .txt file association which should say to start with
      > NoteTab Lite.

      I found "Text Document" on the scrol-down list and clicked on it.

      In the "File type details" box that appeared below it says:

      Extension; TXT DIC EXC

      Content type (MIME0: text/plain

      Opens with: NOTETAB

      As you can see it says "NOTETAB" not "NoteTab Lite." But I went
      ahead following your instructions anyway to see where it would
      take me.

      > Select this item and then click the "Edit" button on the
      > dialog.

      >You will now see a dialog box with a selection of one or more
      > actions listed near the bottom. You must edit each action by selecting it
      > and clicking the "Edit" button and using the "Browse" button that appears
      > in the dialog that comes up.

      When I highlighted "Open" in the "Actions" window and then
      clicked the "Edit" button here's what appears in the "Application
      used to perform action:" window:

      "C:\PROGRAM FILES\NOTETAB LIGHT\NOTETAB.EXE:" "%"

      > Browse to Notepad (not NoteTab Pro) and click
      > ok.

      This is where I run off the tracks. There is no "OK" button in
      the dialogue box labeled "Open With." It has just two buttons:
      "Open" or "Cancel." So I clicked "Open" and got a dialogue box
      called "Editing action for type: Text Document" which DOES have
      an "OK" button. So I clicked OK there instead. But I got an
      error message:

      "File Types

      "The specified program could not be found. Make sure the
      filename and path are correct."

      So I looked in the little window labeled "Application used to
      perform action:" and this it what it says:

      C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Notepad.lnk

      So, what now? Isn't there some way to get NoteTab to clean up
      this mess?
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2000
        Hi Sleepless,

        At 09:11 AM 2/25/2000 -0800, you wrote:
        >So I looked in the little window labeled "Application used to
        >perform action:" and this it what it says:
        >
        > C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Notepad.lnk
        >
        >So, what now? Isn't there some way to get NoteTab to clean up
        >this mess?

        I think that you can do it now. The .lnk extension means that you selected
        the shortcut instead of the program. Do it all again but this time browse
        to the C:\Windows directory. This is where Notepad is located. Select
        Notepad.exe and I think that it should work for you.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...