[NTB] Re: Changing the default directory

  • dan@cstone.net
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
      > This function does not work from the Quick List which is what I think
      > you are using. The Quick List - to be sure we are talking about the
      > same thing - is the clipbook style list that opens on the opposite
      > side of the document from the clipbook library.

      I was hitting Shift+F2, and the file list that comes up is titled
      "Favorites", not "Quick List" (Eric, is this something to be
      fixed/clarified??).

      I just checked Help | Quick List and it says F6 gets you the Quick
      List. F6 gives me the same file/directory list that I got with
      Shift+F2, though formatted differently. Also, Help on Quick List
      says "...The simplest way to change the type of list is by invoking
      the shortcut menu in the Quick List window." That works on the file
      list invoked via F6, but doesn't work on the one invoked by Shift+F2
      or on the list invoked by clicking Favorites on the Menu Bar.

      > To use the feature Eric mentioned, you must click on "Favorites" on
      > the menu bar and then single (not double) click on the folder name
      > while holding down the control key. You will see "Save As" in the
      > blue title bar instead of "Open". One thing you must watch out for.
      > The dialog box will open on the default folder not the folder you
      > clicked on. This looks loke a mistake, I don't know. It still works
      > though because if you look at the bottom of the dialog where the file
      > name goes, you will see your file name with the correct path that you
      > clicked on preceeding it. If you click ok the file will be saved to
      > the correct folder unless you first edit the name and remove the path.

      YES, that works, thank you indeed!! And yes, the screen shows
      my default directory but has the proper path name in the text box.

      Note that this very handy method works off the Favorites tab of the
      menu bar but does *not* work on either the Shift+F2 or the F6 list
      of files which are the same files as the Favorites List.

      Eric/Jody.Larry--- I fear I'm still misunderstanding something
      obvious, but I'll ask a question anyway: why are there 3 different
      ways to get what appears to be the Favorites List, and why do they
      act differently from one another in at least some ways?

      Here again, I think a short NoteTab tutorial, complementary to the
      excellent reference documentation, would be a wonderful thing.

      Any comments are appreciated. In the meantime, I'm now even
      happier with NoteTab, now that I have more flexibility with the Save
      File functions! :->

      Dan Doernberg
      Peer-to-Peer Communications, Inc.
      http://www.peer-to-peer.com
      dan@...
      Phone: +1 804/975-0780 Fax: +1 804/975-0790
    • dan@cstone.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
        I don't think I'm having a problem getting files or directories onto the
        Favorites list... I've been using Shift_F2, then hitting New, then
        typing in my desired file name or directory path name in the text
        box.

        Restating, the source of confusion to me is what lists are pulled up
        when a user does any of the following:

        1) hits Shift+F2
        2) hits F6
        3) clicks on Favorites from the top menu bar

        -- dan
        //////////////////
        > I've been following this string also. It seems to me that Dan is
        > confused about getting the specific dirs on the Favorites list in the
        > first place.
        >
        > There may be another way but, the only way I've found so far to add a
        > dir to Favorites is, have a file from that dir loaded in NTP and
        > "focused" -I think that term applies.
        >
        > Next, select Favorites | Organize | Add Pathname To Favorites. This
        > action adds the Path of the Focused file to the Favorites list, then
        > Eric's Tip will be easy to see.

        Dan Doernberg
        Peer-to-Peer Communications, Inc.
        http://www.peer-to-peer.com
        dan@...
        Phone: +1 804/975-0780 Fax: +1 804/975-0790
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
          Hi Ray,

          At 12:04 PM 2/3/2000 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Larry,
          >
          >> One thing you must watch out for. The dialog box will
          >>open on the default folder not the folder you clicked on. This looks loke
          >>a mistake, I don't know. It still works though because if you look at the
          >>bottom of the dialog where the file name goes, you will see your file name
          >>with the correct path that you clicked on preceeding it. If you click ok
          >>the file will be saved to the correct folder unless you first edit the name
          >>and remove the path.
          >
          >Is that perhaps in the beta? Doesn't do that in 4.6a, i.e., the dialog box
          >looks OK there.

          I get the same results with both 4.60a and the beta. I did make one
          mistake in my post though. Look at the dialog where it says "Save in". It
          always shows the main NoteTab folder, not as I previously posted, the
          default open folder. But I did think that the folder shown should be the
          "Save As" folder.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Raymond Fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            >>Is that perhaps in the beta? Doesn't do that in 4.6a, i.e., the dialog box
            >>looks OK there.
            >
            >I get the same results with both 4.60a and the beta. I did make one
            >mistake in my post though. Look at the dialog where it says "Save in". It
            >always shows the main NoteTab folder, not as I previously posted, the
            >default open folder. But I did think that the folder shown should be the
            >"Save As" folder.

            That's exactly what it does do on my system! That's why I asked if just your
            beta was glitchy (is that a word?). In other words, my 4.6a *does* show the
            correct "Save As" folder. But you're saying yours doesn't. Hmm. Sorry!

            Cheers,
            Ray
          • Harvey R. Savage
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
              Hello Eric and Dan,

              I've been following this string also. It seems to me that Dan is
              confused about getting the specific dirs on the Favorites list in the
              first place.

              There may be another way but, the only way I've found so far to add a
              dir to Favorites is, have a file from that dir loaded in NTP and
              "focused" -I think that term applies.

              Next, select Favorites | Organize | Add Pathname To Favorites. This
              action adds the Path of the Focused file to the Favorites list, then
              Eric's Tip will be easy to see.

              hrs

              --
              ¿? Harvey R. Savage
              ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                Hi Dan,

                I was hitting Shift+F2, and the file list that comes up is titled
                "Favorites", not "Quick List" (Eric, is this something to be
                fixed/clarified??).

                The Favorites dialog box that comes up this way is "standalone," not a part
                of the Quick List. It's only the Quick List (F6) that contains four possible
                views, one of which is Favorites of course.

                Personally, I've always thought of the Favorites dialog box as a way to
                organize Favorites items. And have always just used the Favorites view of
                the Quick List, switching as needed between Favorites view and Disk Files
                view (usu.) with a right-click.

                But I may just try leaving the Disk Files view and start doing Shift+F2 to
                go to Favorites. So I thank you! (I notice though, at least on my system,
                that when I double-click on a path, the file open dialog box is slower in
                appearing than doing the same thing in the Quick List.)

                Hope this helps,
                Ray
              • Raymond Fitzgerald
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                  Hi Dan,

                  >I was hitting Shift+F2, and the file list that comes up is titled
                  >"Favorites", not "Quick List" (Eric, is this something to be
                  >fixed/clarified??).

                  Oops! The above is now properly quoted. Sorry 'bout that.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                    Hi Harvey,

                    At 12:48 PM 2/3/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                    >Hello Eric and Dan,
                    >
                    >I've been following this string also. It seems to me that Dan is
                    >confused about getting the specific dirs on the Favorites list in the
                    >first place.
                    >
                    >There may be another way but, the only way I've found so far to add a
                    >dir to Favorites is, have a file from that dir loaded in NTP and
                    >"focused" -I think that term applies.

                    Another way is to open the .fvr file in the Favorites folder and manually
                    enter/paste it in and save it. And you can write clips to do this as well.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    larryt@...
                  • Raymond Fitzgerald
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                      Hi Dan,

                      >Restating, the source of confusion to me is what lists are pulled up
                      >when a user does any of the following:
                      >
                      > 1) hits Shift+F2
                      This opens the Favorites dialog box for the most recently-selected Favorites
                      category.

                      > 2) hits F6
                      This opens the most recently-selected Disk Files view (one of four).

                      > 3) clicks on Favorites from the top menu bar
                      This displays the list of the most recently-selected Favorites category.

                      Cheers,
                      Ray
                    • Raymond Fitzgerald
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                        Hi Dan,

                        > 2) hits F6
                        This opens the most recently-selected Disk Files view (one of four).

                        should be:

                        > 2) hits F6
                        This opens the most recently-selected Quick List view (one of four).

                        Aargh! Too many typos and such in one day! I'm going to lunch!

                        Ray
                      • Larry Thomas
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                          Hi Ray,

                          At 12:40 PM 2/3/2000 -0600, you wrote:
                          >Hi Larry,
                          >
                          >>I get the same results with both 4.60a and the beta. I did make one
                          >>mistake in my post though. Look at the dialog where it says "Save in". It
                          >>always shows the main NoteTab folder, not as I previously posted, the
                          >>default open folder. But I did think that the folder shown should be the
                          >>"Save As" folder.
                          >
                          >That's exactly what it does do on my system! That's why I asked if just your
                          >beta was glitchy (is that a word?). In other words, my 4.6a *does* show the
                          >correct "Save As" folder. But you're saying yours doesn't. Hmm. Sorry!

                          No need to be sorry. It is not broke. If I go to View|Options and select
                          the "Files" tab and then place a check in the "Match Directory" box, it
                          works the same for me as for you. I prefer having "Use Default
                          Directories" checked instead. I don't like the directories to move around
                          with the file in focus so I will accept the limitation of this for that
                          reason. But it is good to know about this and now Mike and you and others
                          know as well.

                          Regards,

                          Larry
                          larryt@...
                        • Raymond Fitzgerald
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                            Hi Larry,

                            >>In other words, my 4.6a *does* show the correct "Save As" folder.
                            >
                            >If I go to View|Options and select
                            >the "Files" tab and then place a check in the "Match Directory" box, it
                            >works the same for me as for you. I prefer having "Use Default
                            >Directories" checked instead. I don't like the directories to move around
                            >with the file in focus so I will accept the limitation of this for that
                            >reason.

                            You're right, my current Directories option is "Match Directory." And I see
                            what you were talking about when that's changed to the other. Yes, it's good
                            to know!

                            Cheers,
                            Ray
                          • Don Daugherty
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                              I just tried this today for the first time. (I've been doing things the
                              hard way for two years.)

                              I'm didn't use Shift F2 at all. I press and hold Ctrl, click Favorites on
                              the menu bar, and click (while still holding Ctrl) on the directory of my
                              choice. This brings up the desired directory and the filename area is
                              "No-name-1.txt" highlighted in blue, ready for me to type in my choice of
                              filename.

                              (I have 'Match Directory" checked under View/Options/Files.)
                            • Harvey R. Savage
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                                Hi Larry,

                                I completely overlooked the input line at the bottom of the box when
                                you key Shift-F2 because it's the same color as the rest of the
                                frame. After reading a few of these posts I now know 3 different ways
                                to add files and, or, directories to the Favorites drop down list.

                                My wife is making me an appointment with the Optometrist so maybe
                                things will get better.

                                hrs

                                --
                                ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                                ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 3, 2000
                                  Hi Harvey,

                                  > After reading a few of these posts I now know 3 different ways
                                  > to add files and, or, directories to the Favorites drop down
                                  > list.

                                  Don't forget about Favorites | Organize and the ways to add from
                                  there. Toolbar Tools and Shortcut menus can be added as well. I
                                  keep Go to Favorites on my Shortcut menu. ;) And... of course
                                  there a Clips (Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...) that can be made. :)

                                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                                  The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                                  mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...