[NTB] Re: Keyboard Command to Select a Line of Text?

  • lmhamilton@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
      What Larry T. mentions are Windows 3.X; 95; 98, NT; 2000 commands and
      should work in most Windows programs.

      Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

      On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 22:55:46 -0600 Larry Thomas <larryt@...>
      writes:

      > Hi Sleepless,
      >
      > At 08:28 PM 2/1/2000 -0800, you wrote:
      > >
      > > Does NoteTab Pro have a built in keyboard command that will
      > select
      > >(highlight) a line of text?
      >
      > I am no longer familiar with the WordStar cursor movement keys but
      > in
      > NoteTab, you select text by holding down the shift key while you
      > move the
      > cursor around. Cursor left or right selects text one character at a
      > time.
      > Up or down selects one line at a time. Page Up or Page Down selects
      > one
      > screen/page at a time. End or Home will select text to the end or
      > beginning of the line.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Larry
      > larryt@...

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Sleepless in Seattle
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
        Larry Thomas wrote:

        > I am no longer familiar with the WordStar cursor movement keys but in
        > NoteTab, you select text by holding down the shift key while you move the
        > cursor around. Cursor left or right selects text one character at a time.
        > Up or down selects one line at a time.

        Now we're getting warmer!

        So, then, if I learn how to write macros/clips for NT, could I
        create a macro that would do this?

        1. Move the cursor to the first character of the cureent line

        2. Execute <Shift-Arrow Down>

        That would do the job wouldn't it?
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
          Hi Sleepless,

          At 12:05 PM 2/2/2000 -0800, you wrote:

          >Larry Thomas wrote:
          >
          >> I am no longer familiar with the WordStar cursor movement keys but in
          >> NoteTab, you select text by holding down the shift key while you move the
          >> cursor around. Cursor left or right selects text one character at a time.
          >> Up or down selects one line at a time.
          >
          >Now we're getting warmer!
          >
          >So, then, if I learn how to write macros/clips for NT, could I
          >create a macro that would do this?
          >
          > 1. Move the cursor to the first character of the cureent line
          >
          > 2. Execute <Shift-Arrow Down>
          >
          >That would do the job wouldn't it?

          The short answer is yes, but....

          There are many very useful and specific commands for this without using
          keyboard macros which makes your code much easier to understand and
          probably easier to write and debug as well. You should check out ^!Jump
          and ^!Select Line(s) in the help file, and Wayne's reference. And you
          should post to the clips list with requests for help on specific clips you
          have in mind.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
        • Sleepless in Seattle
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2000
            Larry Thomas wrote:

            > There are many very useful and specific commands for this without using
            > keyboard macros which makes your code much easier to understand and
            > probably easier to write and debug as well. You should check out ^!Jump
            > and ^!Select Line(s) in the help file, and Wayne's reference.

            That ^!Select Line(s) sounds like just what I'm looking for!

            > And you
            > should post to the clips list with requests for help on specific clips you
            > have in mind.

            Yes, this sounds like a job for the Clips List! Off I go!
          • Sleepless in Seattle
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2000
              Nandyala S Nagesh wrote:

              > I don't know about NT Pro,(I am using Light) but pertaining to any
              > text editor one thing must be true. The following sequence of
              > operations must give the
              > required result.
              > 1. Go to the first charecter of the line ( By pressing HOME from
              > Keyboard)
              > 2. Hold SHIFT down and press END ( Keyboard)
              > By this time the entire line should be selected.

              I guess I should have included the important caveat that I don't
              regard any keys to the right of the "Enter" key as part of a
              human friendly keyboard. I don't know what the span of your hand
              is, but there is no way in (you know where) that I can keep my
              right index finger on the home row key and reach the "Home" or
              "End" keys with my right little finger.

              I regard those keys as useful only to space aliens and mutants.

              But, wait! I have yet to mention NoteTab, and I'm sure Jody has
              a text scanner program activated to search for off topic
              subversives....

              So, I...er...uh...as I was saying...ahem!...."I'll sure be
              tickled pink when Eric gets version five of NOTETAB out in beta
              so I can try out the new and much awaited user configurable
              keyboard" ....there!..... whew!
            • rellieb-jean
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2000
                Hello Sleepless,

                > I guess I should have included the important caveat that I don't
                > regard any keys to the right of the "Enter" key as part of a
                > human friendly keyboard. I don't know what the span of your hand
                > is, but there is no way in (you know where) that I can keep my
                > right index finger on the home row key and reach the "Home" or
                > "End" keys with my right little finger.

                I haven't been following this thread but when i wish to select a line
                in NTP, I just move the mouse to the beginnning of the line at which
                point the cursor becomes an arrow and points back into the document.
                Then click. Or double-click to select a paragraph, (that is, section
                sans any carriage returns.

                But you wanted keyboard? Humm. I don't even know how to select a
                word by keyboard. If you really want some keyboard facility, I think
                a trackball in the middle of the keyboard would be a good way to go.

                --
                Best regards,
                rellieb-jean