[NTB] Re: Removing Hard CRs

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2000
      Hi Tim,

      > What should I do if I want to remove hard Carriage Returns from
      > a file using NoteTab Pro?

      NoteTab uses the ^p token to do that. In your Replace tool type
      in the Find side "^p" w/o the quotes. If you do not put anything
      in the Replace side it will replace the hard line break with
      nothing. To strip a blank line you would put two ^p^p in Find and
      one ^p in Replace with. (^t = tab.)

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

      The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
      mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
      http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
    • Tim Rowe
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2000
        jody <kjb161-@...> wrote:

        > NoteTab uses the ^p token to do that.

        Many thanks Jody!

        Best,
        Tim
      • Sleepless in Seattle
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
          Tim Rowe wrote:

          > > NoteTab uses the ^p token to do that.

          Is there a glossary I could refer to, so I could find out what
          some of the terms that you guys use mean?

          For example, Jody mentioned a "token." And in another message
          Larry Thomas use the term, what was it now, something like
          "refocus."

          I think I get the general drift of what you guys are saying from
          the context, but it would certainly be helpful if I had a
          dictionary of computer lingo to refer to.

          Is there a web page where something like that is available?
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
            Hi Sleepless,

            >> NoteTab uses the ^p token to do that.
            >>
            > Is there a glossary I could refer to, so I could find out what
            > some of the terms that you guys use mean?

            Open Help and click on the Find tab. Type in "token." Click on
            Find and Replace. Look about 3/4ths down the page.

            When you pull up to the toll booth in your car sometimes you hand
            the person a token to cross the bridge. It is an object of some
            type that represents the fare for getting across. The real fare
            cannot be seem at that time though. Likewise, line breaks, tabs
            etc. are hidden to us. Programmers make it possible for us to
            "see" them with the use of characters called tokens. We can then
            search for those hidden characters.

            > Is there a web page where something like that is available?

            I sometimes go away scratching my head even more after reading
            some of the definitions, but here is one:

            http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
              Jody wrote:

              > Open Help and click on the Find tab. Type in "token." Click on
              > Find and Replace. Look about 3/4ths down the page.

              OK, I opened help [clicked on "Help Topics" since you didn't
              specify which one; but it seemed to work OK], clicked the "Find"
              tab and then typed in "token."

              But now I'm stumped.

              I don't see any "Find and Replace" button.

              Here's what I do see:

              Clear
              Find similar (grayed out)
              Find now (greed out)
              Rebuild
              Display
              Print (greed out)
              Cancel
            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
                Hi Jody,

                A bad link, Netscape says it can't find the server.

                hrs

                --
                ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
                  Hi Harvey,

                  > A bad link, Netscape says it can't find the server.

                  >> http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/

                  IE5 found it just fine when I tried before posting.

                • rainmark@att.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
                    Hi,
                    I'm using Netscape tonight and I got there OK from that
                    link. Try again. Just a temp glitch.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
                      Hi Sleepless,

                      >> Open Help and click on the Find tab. Type in "token." Click
                      >> on Find and Replace. Look about 3/4ths down the page.
                      >
                      > OK, I opened help [clicked on "Help Topics" since you didn't
                      > specify which one; but it seemed to work OK], clicked the
                      > "Find" tab and then typed in "token."

                      When we tell folk to go to Help we simply mean to open Help.
                      Both Help items on the Help menu get you to the same Help file -
                      there is only one (less Mini-NoteTab). I normally use the Index
                      or Find tab depending on what I am looking for. Anyway, by the
                      numbers:

                      1. Open Help.
                      2. Click on the Find tab.
                      3. Type in tokens.
                      4. Look in the large screen at the bottom of the Help dialog.
                      5. There is a menu to choose from.
                      6. At the bottom of what is visible, click on Find and Replace
                      Dialog Boxes.
                      7. You will see some discussion on Tokens towards the bottom
                      of the window as soon as it opens.

                      You would do well to read the whole section while you are there.

                      Some users find it real helpful to print out the whole Help file
                      and read it that way. You might consider that.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 5, 2000
                        Hi Mark,

                        >I'm using Netscape tonight and I got there OK from that
                        >link. Try again. Just a temp glitch.

                        Hope you did not take the wet noodle post too hard - nothing
                        directed at you personal.

                        In Jesus' Love,
                        Bro. Jody Adair
                        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                        Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
                        be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
                        Matthew 10:16

                        (o o)
                        oOOo-(_)-oOOo

                        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                      • Lloyd
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6, 2000
                          >Jody wrote:
                          >
                          > > Open Help and click on the Find tab. Type in "token." Click on
                          > > Find and Replace. Look about 3/4ths down the page.
                          >
                          >OK, I opened help [clicked on "Help Topics" since you didn't
                          >specify which one; but it seemed to work OK], clicked the "Find"
                          >tab and then typed in "token."

                          Try "Help Topics"/Index, type in 'find' and select 'find in file' then
                          display.

                          Lloyd
                        • Lloyd
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 6, 2000
                            Hi Harvey,

                            I am with you. My Netscape can't find it either.

                            Lloyd
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            >Hi Harvey,
                            >
                            > > A bad link, Netscape says it can't find the server.
                            >
                            > >> http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/
                            >
                            >IE5 found it just fine when I tried before posting.
                            >
                            >Happy NoteTab'n,
                            >Jody Adair
                          • Sleepless in Seattle
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 8, 2000
                              Jody wrote:

                              > Some users find it real helpful to print out the whole Help file
                              > and read it that way. You might consider that.

                              That would be great for me since I have difficulty sitting at my
                              computer screen for more than a few minutes at a time before the
                              pain becomes so distracting that I have to lie down. If I had
                              the help file on paper, I could read it while I'm lying down.

                              How may pages are we talking about here?

                              I've got a klunky old dot-matrix printer, and I don't know how
                              many more pages she's got left in her.