[NTB] Re: Upgrading to NT Pro

  • Sleepless in Seattle
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
      Jody wrote:

      > By default, the are the names of your executable program now
      > provided you do not have Standard beta installed:
      >
      > NotePro.exe NoteTab Pro
      > NoteTab.exe NoteTab Light
      > ntp48.exe NoteTab Pro (Beta:*)
      >
      > As mentioned, all three of them can be in the same folder. You
      > can make a shortcut to them if you wish. NoteTab Pro should be
      > on your Start menu now.

      I think I failed to mention that I prefer using the beta version
      because it has more of the WS keymapping. So in that case,
      shouldn't I have ntp48.exe on my start menu?
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Sleepless,

        > I think I failed to mention that I prefer using the beta
        > version because it has more of the WS keymapping. So in that
        > case, shouldn't I have ntp48.exe on my start menu?

        You can configure your start menu any way you like. If you want
        all three on there you can have them. If you only want one, the
        beta, you can edit what is on there now to point to it.

        There are a number of ways to do it, but here is one:

        Click on your Start button and then Programs. Scroll to your
        existing NoteTab listing click on it. Right click on the startup
        item (NoteTab Pro probably) and choose Properties. In the
        Target: field edit NotePro.exe to ntp48.exe.

        I don't remember if Windows 95 has the properties listed like
        that off the Start menu. If it does not then you can do it
        through Windows Explorer. Go to:

        C:\Windows\Start menu\Programs\Startup

        Right click over your NoteTab shortcut choosing Properties.

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        http://www.egroups.com/list/notetab
      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
          Hi Jody and Sleepless,

          At 08:27 PM 2/1/2000 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Sleepless,
          >
          > > I think I failed to mention that I prefer using the beta
          > > version because it has more of the WS keymapping. So in that
          > > case, shouldn't I have ntp48.exe on my start menu?
          >
          >You can configure your start menu any way you like. If you want
          >all three on there you can have them. If you only want one, the
          >beta, you can edit what is on there now to point to it.

          You cannot have all three on your start menu. At least not if you want
          them to run properly. The problem is that the current version of NoteTab
          Pro (4.60a) will not run with the beta so you have to choose between the
          beta or the registered (4.60a) version. So you can have all three on your
          system but you can only run one or the other of the two versions. This was
          not the case with previous upgrades but Eric has made improvements in the
          newest beta code that cause a load conflict between the old and the new.

          You probably will not use the 4.60a version much up through the release of
          4.80 but you want to keep that version handy or available for when 4.80 is
          released. In the past, Eric placed a patch program on the NoteTab site to
          upgrade the registered version.

          When that patch becomes available, you will need to have the registered
          version of 4.60a with the file name of Notepro.exe. When you run the
          patch, it will check that file to determine if you have a registered
          version and then it will upgrade that file to version 4.80. Before you run
          the patch, I would suggest that you make a copy of the 4.60a version on a
          floppy or in another folder (rename the copy to Notepro460a.exe to let
          yourself know what it is) if you want to keep the old version for any
          reason. If you do not, the patch will replace Notepro.exe with the upgrade
          and you will lose the old version.

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 1, 2000
            Hi Larry,

            >> You can configure your start menu any way you like. If you
            >> want all three on there you can have them. If you only want
            >> one, the beta, you can edit what is on there now to point to
            >> it.

            > You cannot have all three on your start menu.

            Thanks for the info. I'll try to make myself clearer. We can
            have all three in the same folder and on the start menu (Main or
            Programs, etc.) but not in the Startup Folder trying to launch
            both Pro Registered and Pro beta at the same time and expect them
            to work correctly.

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
              I guess I should try to ask simple yes" or "no" questions and then
              I would get simpler answers :>)

              My NoteTab folder is named "NoteTab Light" because that's the
              version I started with.

              But now I'm running ntb48.exe from the same folder and have since
              bought a license for NoteTab Pro which I've also placed in the
              NoteTab Light folder.(BTW, I mailed cash to Switzerland from Seattle
              and it got there the next day (!) or darn near the next day). So
              I've got three different NT EXE files in the NoteTab Light Folder.

              So, my questions are:

              1. For the sake of accuracy and consistency, shouldn't I rename my
              NoteTab folder to NoteTab Pro or maybe to just NoteTab?

              2. If I do that, then I'm going to have to make changes in my
              shortcuts and any references to NoteTab from other programs aren't
              I?

              3. Could I create a folder called "Shortcuts" that would have
              generic shorcut files for my often used programs? Then all
              references from other programs and other shortcuts would go first to
              the "Shortcuts" folder and then to NoteTab. That way I would only
              have to change the one single shortcut in the Shortcuts folder each
              time I make a change in a path or EXE file.

              4. Even if this would work, would it be a good idea?
            • Clint Tredway
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                This is what I would do:

                I would unistall NT Light and then install NT Pro. Before I did this, I
                would make a copy of the librairies folder so you don't lose any special
                clip books.

                That's my 2 cents.

[...]

                GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 2.9%
                Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!
                http://click.egroups.com/1/915/4/_/2478/_/949520381/

                eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab/
              • Sleepless in Seattle
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                  Clint Tredway wrote:

                  > This is what I would do:
                  >
                  > I would unistall NT Light and then install NT Pro. Before I did this, I
                  > would make a copy of the librairies folder so you don't lose any special
                  > clip books.

                  Sounds like a wiener to me!

                  So, first off, to uninstall NT Light: should I use the control
                  panel's uninstall or does NT Light have it's own uninstaller? Or
                  can I just plain delete the file and be done with it?
                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                    Hi Sleepless,

                    At 11:37 AM 2/2/2000 -0800, you wrote:

                    >3. Could I create a folder called "Shortcuts" that would have
                    >generic shorcut files for my often used programs? Then all
                    >references from other programs and other shortcuts would go first to
                    >the "Shortcuts" folder and then to NoteTab. That way I would only
                    >have to change the one single shortcut in the Shortcuts folder each
                    >time I make a change in a path or EXE file.

                    I keep my beta files in a folder called "NoteTab Beta" under the programs
                    folder. I have the executable file named "Ntp48B.exe". My shortcuts all
                    list this file as their target for the beta testing. Now when I download a
                    new beta and unzip and move it to my beta folder, I just shut down NoteTab,
                    delete "Ntp48B.exe", rename the new unzipped exe file to "Ntp48B.exe" and
                    all of my three beta shortcuts work with it. I only have to rename one
                    file to change all of the shortcuts no matter where they are located and
                    that is what I want. No need to go to every shortcut and open a properties
                    window on it and edit it to point to a new file.

                    Regards,

                    Larry
                    larryt@...
                  • Clint Tredway
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                      I would use the control panel's uninstall feature. You don't want to delete
                      the folder because the registry settings will still be present.

                      > I would unistall NT Light and then install NT Pro. Before I did this, I
                      > would make a copy of the librairies folder so you don't lose any special
                      > clip books.

                      Sounds like a wiener to me!

                      So, first off, to uninstall NT Light: should I use the control
                      panel's uninstall or does NT Light have it's own uninstaller? Or
                      can I just plain delete the file and be done with it?

                      GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates
                      as low as 0.0% Intro APR and no hidden fees.
                      Apply NOW!
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/967/4/_/2478/_/949523139/

                      -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=notetab&m=1
                    • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                        Sleepless in Seattle <desvelado@...> wrote:

                        >1. For the sake of accuracy and consistency, shouldn't I rename my
                        >NoteTab folder to NoteTab Pro or maybe to just NoteTab?

                        If it bothers you. ;-) Some people prefer the, "If it is not
                        broke, don't fix it" philosophy.

                        >2. If I do that, then I'm going to have to make changes in my
                        >shortcuts and any references to NoteTab from other programs aren't
                        >I?

                        Actually, under some circumstances Windows itself will update
                        the shortcuts for you when it detects that an executable has
                        been renamed. I _think_ that renaming NoteTab's folder should
                        trigger this. (I wish I were more sure, but I don't feel like
                        testing it right now.)

                        But the best approach may be to use the Freeware utility
                        "COA32" It stands for "Change of Address."

                        Information of it can be found at:
                        http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/16/01/ut1601.001.html

                        >3. Could I create a folder called "Shortcuts" that would have
                        >generic shorcut files for my often used programs? Then all
                        >references from other programs and other shortcuts would go first to
                        >the "Shortcuts" folder and then to NoteTab. That way I would only
                        >have to change the one single shortcut in the Shortcuts folder each
                        >time I make a change in a path or EXE file.

                        I am not sure if Windows allows shortcuts to be "chained", or
                        if it would cause Windows to get confused. It is not anything
                        I've tried before.

                        >4. Even if this would work, would it be a good idea?

                        In my opinion, the chances of causing unforseen problems
                        is too great. On, the other hand, I do see a chance that
                        it may work without any problems.

                        Still, it is better to download and use the COA32 utility.

                        --
                        Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                      • Harvey R. Savage
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 2, 2000
                          Hi Sleepless,

                          Lacking any other software to do this change with, you can got to
                          ZDNET -PCMAG - free utilities and download a free utility named, COA,
                          thetas CHANGE OF ADDRESS. There was an earlier version for Win31,
                          make sure you get the Win95 version.

                          To use this utility, first, copy the entire 'Light' directory,
                          including files and subdirectories to a dir of your choosing, hope you
                          have enough disk space to do this.

                          OR, you can make an empty dir, name of your choice, and use the
                          feature in COA whereby you only select the present, and then the new
                          dirs. Afterward you can move the files and subdirs to the new
                          location.

                          This works by searching thru all shortcuts, ini files and the registry
                          to change the first reference to the second.

                          hrs

                          Sleepless in Seattle wrote:

                          > 1. For the sake of accuracy and consistency, shouldn't I rename my
                          > NoteTab folder to NoteTab Pro or maybe to just NoteTab?
                          >
                          > 2. If I do that, then I'm going to have to make changes in my
                          > shortcuts and any references to NoteTab from other programs aren't
                          > I?
                          >
                          > 3. Could I create a folder called "Shortcuts" that would have
                          > generic shorcut files for my often used programs? Then all
                          > references from other programs and other shortcuts would go first to
                          > the "Shortcuts" folder and then to NoteTab. That way I would only
                          > have to change the one single shortcut in the Shortcuts folder each
                          > time I make a change in a path or EXE file.
                          >
                          > 4. Even if this would work, would it be a good idea?

                          ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                          ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                          ¿? Eldorado, IL 62930
                          ¿? 618-273-5003