[NTB] Notetab

  • peter griffiths
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2000
      Hello Jody, I have been receiving copies of many many messages about
      Notetab. Unfortunately, and I am not a stupid person, I am unable to
      understand any of the questions nor the replies. I first contacted you
      when I purchased note tab to ask about a book or reference on the use
      of Notetab. I printed all of the stuff on the READme and HELP but I
      cannot find a few simple chapters on how the use of NOTETAB for setting
      up a web page, or how the text editor helps. I am taking a course on
      creating web pages through a distance education programme of a
      university so there is no instructor of whom I can ask questions. One
      of the requirements of the course is to obtain a Text Editor, and ref,
      to NOTETAB sent me on the road to purchase the programme. For all of the
      help that I receive from Notetab I might just as well use the windows
      programme NOTEPAD, and many of the students do that. So, Jody, please
      can you help me to find out how to use the programme in the creation of
      web pages, and how NOTETAB can assist me in such preparation. From the
      questions of which I receive copies the users of NOTETAB must have
      access to information that I have been unable to find. Failing any
      information that would be of use to me in setting up web pages, I shall
      uninstall the programme. Here's hoping Peter Griffiths.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 5, 2000
        Hi Peter,

        > I am unable to understand any of the questions nor the replies.

        I am sorry to hear of your problem.

        > I printed all of the stuff on the READme and HELP but I cannot
        > find a few simple chapters on how the use of NOTETAB for
        > setting up a web page, or how the text editor helps.

        When you wrote back on the 16th of last month I mentioned this
        along with some other things:

        ...I can tell you how to use it to make a simple web page though
        since you mentioned that. Open a text document in NoteTab and on
        the main menu under Modify click on Document to HTML and then No
        Character conversion. Press the icon to view in browser after
        that. It is out towards the right of the Toolbar....You might be
        interested in signing up for a couple of my mailing lists. Read
        the posts by other users and ask questions. I suggest the Basic
        and HTML list...

        Did you try what I said about making the basic page? Did you
        sign up for the HTML list? It is hard to help you if you do not
        ask more specific questions and give us feedback on what you
        have tried and having problems with. As you have probably
        noticed by now there are users more than willing to help.

        If you have not done so, please sign up for the HTML list - click
        on the eMail link in my sigline and hit send. If you would,
        please answer my question above over there about making a basic
        page and let us know what happened. That will give us a starting
        point.

        There are some on-line manuals to get for HTML editing for
        beginners. Joe Barta, a NoteTabber, makes a real good one that
        walks one step by step in making web pages.

        So, you want to make a Web Page!
        http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/tutor/makapage/index.html

        > From the questions of which I receive copies the users of
        > NOTETAB must have access to information that I have been unable
        > to find.

        Perhaps you just need to get over the starting hump and after
        that everything will start falling in place. That is how it is
        with me in doing a lot of things.

        > Failing any information that would be of use to me in setting
        > up web pages, I shall uninstall the programme.

        I and I guess many others would hope that you did not do that.
        You would be missing out on a lot. :-(

        Happy HTML'n!
        Jody

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab and Html List...
        mailto:Ntb-html-Subscribe@...
      • DiggerToo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2000
          Hi Peter,

          Say don't think you are alone. I am trying to learn on my own. I am building
          a website a little at a time using my lunch time to practice what I am
          learning each night. So far so good. I will pass along a couple of sites
          that have really helped me. Here's in hopes that you might find something
          useful there as well.

          http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutors/ie_style.html

          For me this has very good site with a lot of useful information that I return
          to time and again.

          http://www.hooked.net/~tails/htmlib/

          http://www.lissaexplains.com/ Delivered in basic, easy to understand terms.
        • Dido P. Miranda
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 5, 2000

            Failing any information that would be of use to me in setting up web
            pages, I shall
            uninstall the programme. Here's hoping Peter Griffiths
            <<
            PMFJI. :)
            What a coincidence to come across your post just after I have proclaimed
            <g> in another discussion group that NoteTab is one of the best things
            since sliced bread!
            Peter, at least for the time being please try to follow Jody's friendly
            suggestions. Once you get acquainted with the power and
            "user-friendlyness" of NoteTab I think you will fall in love with it.
            After having used NoteTab for some months on my usual text-editing chores
            I began to start using outlines and hyperlinks only recently. I
            immediately realized how much I have been missing all along. IMO,
            NoteTab can greatly help you manage the "tsunami" of information we are
            constantly buffetted with.
            Thanks!

            Dido
          • Kay Roath
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
              01/05/2000 5:18 AM peter griffiths wrote

              > Hello Jody, I have been receiving copies of many many messages about
              > Notetab. Unfortunately, and I am not a stupid person, I am unable to
              > understand any of the questions nor the replies.

              > I cannot find a few simple chapters on how the use of NOTETAB for setting
              > up a web page, or how the text editor helps.

              Actually, what NoteTab does is make coding a web page easier. The buttons
              at the bottom are ClipBooks. There's one called HTML. NoteTab is so
              flexible, we can't be sure exactly how you have things set. The default
              would be that you will see HTML listed in a small box on the left side &
              underneath it, you'll see a list of things like
              Document Element (this is a divider describing what follows)
              Base
              Body
              Body (Light)
              HTML begin
              (lots more)

              These are called clips. There are several ways to execute clips. For
              now, just start a new document (Ctrl+N), then press the Escape key and
              type H. That should highlight an entry that says 'HTML begin'. If not,
              type as much of it as is necessary until you see that text highlighted.
              Press Enter and NoteTab will ask you for some information about your web
              page. Fill in the blanks and NoteTab will start creating your page with
              that info. Next, press Escape again and type 'bo' or as much as is
              needed to get 'Body' highlighted. There will be some more questions that
              will help you create the <BODY> tag. That will give you a brief idea
              of the advantages of NoteTab over NotePad. You'll see a lot more
              HTML tags listed. If you're using the default settings, you can
              execute any of them by double clicking. There's an option on the Tools
              menu that will let you change that to a single click. Type some text
              into your document. Highlight the text and execute the Font Size+Color
              clip. Start a new line and type 'center' and then hit F2. You don't
              actually have to type all those letters - NoteTab will look for the
              first clip that matches what you've typed. I've changed my HTML
              Clipbook but I think on the default 'c' and then F2 would be enough
              to execute the Center clip. Try playing with the clips a bit & feel
              free to ask any questions you might have. There's a lot less traffic
              on the HTML list & you'll probably like it more for now. While NoteTab
              won't teach you anything about HTML programming, it does take a lot of
              the work out of it & it's possible to incorporate the HTML Reference but
              the latest version requires IE5 so it's best if we know your setup before
              we get into how to do that. Hope this helps get you started.

              --- Grandma Kay ---
            • Eric G.V. Fookes
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
                Hello Peter,

                >Hello Jody, I have been receiving copies of many many messages about
                >Notetab. Unfortunately, and I am not a stupid person, I am unable to
                >understand any of the questions nor the replies. I first contacted you
                >when I purchased note tab to ask about a book or reference on the use
                >of Notetab. I printed all of the stuff on the READme and HELP but I
                >cannot find a few simple chapters on how the use of NOTETAB for setting
                >up a web page, or how the text editor helps.

                There's a topic in the Help file under the "How to" section called: Create
                Web Pages. Did you read it? I realize there are lots of improvements that
                could be added to my Help file. But I'm a programmer, not a technical
                writer. Still, I think you'll find the NoteTab Help file more comprehensive
                than most programs of its class (have you seen the MS-Notepad Help file <g>?).

                Regards,
                Eric Fookes
                -----------
                NoteTab v4.6a available from
                NoteTab v4.8 Beta from
                http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm

              • peter griffiths
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
                  Hello everyone using Note tab and who have sent me alot of information on
                  using note tab. I have saved all of the replies and will go through them.
                  With all of the information that I have received it would be churlish of me
                  not to use the information and get on with creating my first web page.
                  Thanks to all of you Peter.

                  eric_richards@... wrote:

                  > > Failing any information that would be of use to me in setting up web
                  > > pages, I shall
                  > > uninstall the programme. Here's hoping Peter Griffiths
                  > > <<
                  >
                  > I'd like to add something here as well. Peter, I've been using notetab
                  > for approximately three months and it's become such a useful tool that
                  > I created my whole commerical website (http://www.upscalemale.com)
                  > using notetab. It makes creating web pages significantly easier. As
                  > Jody mentioned the first thing you want to do is:
                  >
                  > Open a text document in NoteTab and on
                  > the main menu under Modify click on Document to HTML and then No
                  > Character conversion. Press the icon to view in browser after
                  > that. It is out towards the right of the Toolbar...
                  >
                  > Next you want to start adding and experiementing with that document
                  >
                  > 1. Get a html clip library. This is a must!!! Several people have
                  > created them and this is what makes notetab so useful. You can get many
                  > html libraries at the notetab web site. Clips are basically macros
                  > which allow you to add many different html tags to your document. Once
                  > you've done this, add your own text, tables etc to the html document
                  > created above.
                  >
                  > 2. I didn't know anything about creating web pages a few months ago so
                  > I bought a $10.00 book called teach yourself HTML in 10 minutes.
                  > Sounds like your taking a class so that's even better. It's just
                  > taking the knowledge that you learn in your class and applying it to
                  > the text editor. Give it one week and try different things, you will
                  > start to see how really easy it is.
                  >
                  > 3. Lastly, what makes notetab so great is the clip language and the
                  > support your get from others in this forum. Even if you don't want or
                  > need to learn the clip language, there are plenty of others who are
                  > writing clips to do just about everything. I recently completed a
                  > couple of clips for Search Engine Positioning. There available for
                  > free any help you analyze you web page and the pages of others. Very
                  > useful.
                  >
                  > The point is, start slow with a few basic html tags and after a week or
                  > so, it will all come together.
                  >
                  > Please feel free to email at eric_richards@... if you have
                  > any questions or need assistance. I'm sure I or anyone in this forum
                  > can help you with your questions. That's what makes it so great.
                  >
                  > Eric

                  > Looking for educational tools for you kids?
                  >
                  > Find everything you need at SmarterKids.com

                  > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/notetab/?m=1
                • Clint Tredway
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
                    The creation of web pages using Note Tab is quite simple. You have what si
                    called a clip book that has alot of the HTML tags in it. There is a clip to
                    put the standard <HTML>,<HEAD>,<TITLE>, and <BODY> tags in one step. There
                    is also a couple of Table wizards to help build HTML tables. The people on
                    the list can help with creating web pages using note tab, but we need more
                    detailed questions. I am a professional web developer and I use Note Tab
                    everyday. I typically hand code everything or I create a clip to help do
                    repeated tasks. I hope this helps you at least a little. If you have a
                    specific question on how to do something i.e., create a table or insert an
                    image, just ask us and one of us will help you. You will find that Note Tab
                    is much better than NOTEPAD.

                    Clint a.k.a. snapee
                  • Lloyd
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
                      Hi Peter,

                      It doesn't matter how extensive the help file is, the normal information
                      you pick up in a course, or how much help you get off the lists. It wont
                      give you the confidence that finishing your first Web page gives. Just
                      close your eyes and jump in. Follow the information Jody and some of the
                      others gave you. If you have a problem, first look in the help if the
                      answer is not there, then just ask. Remember, there are no stupid questions
                      only people without all the information. When you ask, you are on your way
                      to getting that information. You will find people very helpful here on this
                      -- and all the other NoteTab lists.

                      Lloyd
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      >Hello Peter,
                      >
                      >>Hello Jody, I have been receiving copies of many many messages about
                      >>Notetab. Unfortunately, and I am not a stupid person, I am unable to
                      >>understand any of the questions nor the replies. I first contacted you
                      >>when I purchased note tab to ask about a book or reference on the use
                      >>of Notetab. I printed all of the stuff on the READme and HELP but I
                      >>cannot find a few simple chapters on how the use of NOTETAB for setting
                      >>up a web page, or how the text editor helps.
                      >
                      >There's a topic in the Help file under the "How to" section called: Create
                      >Web Pages. Did you read it? I realize there are lots of improvements that
                      >could be added to my Help file. But I'm a programmer, not a technical
                      >writer. Still, I think you'll find the NoteTab Help file more
                      >comprehensive than most programs of its class (have you seen the
                      >MS-Notepad Help file <g>?).
                      >

                      >Regards,
                      >Eric Fookes
                      >-----------
                      >NoteTab v4.6a available from
                      > http://www.notetab.com and http://www.notetab.ch
                      >NoteTab v4.8 Beta from
                      > http://www.notetab.com/beta.htm

                      >Toys, Books, Software. Save $10 on any order of $25 or more at
                      >SmarterKids.com. Hurry, offer expires 1/15/00.
                      >http://click.egroups.com/1/646/4/_/2478/_/947169245
                      >
                      >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab/

                    • Bill Scott
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
                        You will find people very helpful here on this
                        -- and all the other NoteTab lists.

                        My $0.02: :-)

                        That has certainly been my experience with everyone ...

                        Bill Scott

                        Online Puppy Tutorial

                        http://www.stockdogsaction.com/puppies.htm
                      • Len
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 6, 2000
                          Hi Peter;

                          I don't know your level of knowledge so bear with me please
                          (you coulod easily be more advanced than I).
                          HTML (Hyper Text Mark Up Language) is a high level computer
                          language used to code HTML programs to display information in
                          web browsers.
                          All the instructions are enclosed in <....> brackets (why?) and
                          may be of <inst> or <inst1 inst2 inst3 ...> format.
                          So it is simply a matter of learning the language. :))

                          The following procedures will get you started.
                          Try the following in NoteTab if you haven't already done so.

                          Menu Bar|View|Options|View tab|Show HTML Options checked.
                          Menu Bar|View|Options|Internet|Main Browser|Browse button
                          Browse to and select your web browser .exe file.
                          Menu Bar|View|Options|Internet|Highlght URLs checked
                          Click on OK

                          Click on Menue Bar|File|Template|Edit|HTML.tpl
                          This a tempate for making a basic HTML web page for text display.
                          The ^?[....] ^$....$ ^!Find "... CWS
                          are clip commands unrelated to the web page.
                          Close this document.

                          Click on Menue Bar|File|Template|Open|HTML.tpl
                          Enter your title and click OK.
                          This is a basic HTML web page for displaying text.
                          Type or copy some text in the "... Type content here!" area.
                          Select Menu Bar|Tools|View in Browser.
                          Your web browser should open displaying the web page.

                          I found Joe Barta's WebTutor at http://junior.apk.net/~jbarta/
                          to be very usable (although somewhat flamboyant :).

                          What web browser do you use ?

                          Have fun, Len

                          Leonard O. Hargrove, Jr.
                          Avionics Systems Engineer