[NTB] Re: Browser not going topmost...

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      Hello Tryggve,

      >I have a small problem with Note tab Pro, both 4.6a and
      >the 4.8 Beta. Well, maybe not a problem but at least a
      >nuisance.
      >
      >The first time I press F8 or click the tool bar button
      >to view an HTML document, NTP starts the browser, loads
      >the HTML document and *brings the browser to the top*.
      >As it's is supposed to do. But...

      It's not NoteTab bringing the browser on top, it is Windows.

      >after that, when I want to review changes in the HTML mark-up,
      >and press F8 again, the document is loaded as it should but
      >the browser's window *does not* come to the top.
      >However; the browser's task bar button flashes twice and the
      >stays highlighted. I then have to click the browser window
      >to get it to the top or use the alt-tab function.

      This is a Windows 98 feature. Microsoft felt that too many programs were
      taking initiatives to grab input focus, so that disabled the function that
      most programmers used to bring application windows to the front.

      Once a browser is running, NoteTab attempts to use DDE to communicate with
      it. When it does so, it is the browser's responsibility to come forwards.
      Microsoft seems to have fixed the problem in IE5, as it comes forward when
      invoked this way. However, this is not the case of Netscape, and it is up
      to their programmers to fix their code.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.6a available from
    • Tryggve Stenlund
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
        "Eric G.V. Fookes" wrote:

        > >the browser's window *does not* come to the top.
        > >However; the browser's task bar button flashes twice and the
        > >stays highlighted. I then have to click the browser window
        > >to get it to the top or use the alt-tab function.

        > This is a Windows 98 feature. Microsoft felt that too many programs were
        > taking initiatives to grab input focus, so that disabled the function that
        > most programmers used to bring application windows to the front.

        > Microsoft seems to have fixed the problem in IE5, as it comes forward when
        > invoked this way. However, this is not the case of Netscape, and it is up
        > to their programmers to fix their code.

        Sounds funny MS refixes new Windows98 "features" with IE5. It think it
        looks more like they have taught IE5 to throw anything off top that
        Windows itself can't lower for some obscure reason.

        >From the postings there are obviously a number of manifestations
        of problems in the "top dance".

        Does anybody know if these problems exist in Windows 2000 as well?

        Regards,

        Tryggve

        --
      • lmhamilton@juno.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
          On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 15:06:10 +0100 Tryggve Stenlund <tryggve@...>
          writes:
          > Sounds funny MS refixes new Windows98 "features" with IE5. It think
          > it
          > looks more like they have taught IE5 to throw anything off top that
          > Windows itself can't lower for some obscure reason.
          >
          > >From the postings there are obviously a number of manifestations
          > of problems in the "top dance".
          >
          > Does anybody know if these problems exist in Windows 2000 as well?

          It's not a problem, it's a "feature"! ; )

          Larry