[NTB] Browser not going topmost...

  • Tryggve Stenlund
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      (sent to both notetab@egroups.com and ntb-beta@egroups.com)

      Hello all of you!

      I have a small problem with Note tab Pro, both 4.6a and
      the 4.8 Beta. Well, maybe not a problem but at least a
      nuisance.

      The first time I press F8 or click the tool bar button
      to view an HTML document, NTP starts the browser, loads
      the HTML document and *brings the browser to the top*.
      As it's is supposed to do. But...

      after that, when I want to review changes in the HTML mark-up,
      and press F8 again, the document is loaded as it should but
      the browser's window *does not* come to the top.
      However; the browser's task bar button flashes twice and the
      stays highlighted. I then have to click the browser window
      to get it to the top or use the alt-tab function.

      It's the same whether I use NS or IE.
      I'm using Windows98, Netscape 4.7 and IE 4.01.

      Any ideas how do I solve this problem?

      However. As I now know that it's working at the systems at
      Note tab support, I'll take a look at some of the tweaks and
      "cleaning" I've done to Mr. Gates "beauty beast" to make it act
      as a tool and at least not look like a kid's Nintendo.

      I might have used too heavy medicine with side effects I didn't
      think of. There is also one other thing I could do; I have a
      friend who has an out of the box system, also the swedish version.
      I could temporarily install NTP in his system and see what happens.
      As I know that NTP has to be on many swedish systems, the problem
      would have been known by now.

      If this is according to the code for NTP, I suggest that it is
      changed in the 4.8 final release. It would be labour saving not
      to have to click the browser window or use the alt_tab keys.
      Just press F8 and "there she comes"!

      Have anyone meet this phenomenon before?

      Tryggve

      Tryggve Stenlund mailto:tryggve@...
      Sweden http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/7163/
      -------------
    • Eric G.V. Fookes
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        Hello Tryggve,

        >I have a small problem with Note tab Pro, both 4.6a and
        >the 4.8 Beta. Well, maybe not a problem but at least a
        >nuisance.
        >
        >The first time I press F8 or click the tool bar button
        >to view an HTML document, NTP starts the browser, loads
        >the HTML document and *brings the browser to the top*.
        >As it's is supposed to do. But...

        It's not NoteTab bringing the browser on top, it is Windows.

        >after that, when I want to review changes in the HTML mark-up,
        >and press F8 again, the document is loaded as it should but
        >the browser's window *does not* come to the top.
        >However; the browser's task bar button flashes twice and the
        >stays highlighted. I then have to click the browser window
        >to get it to the top or use the alt-tab function.

        This is a Windows 98 feature. Microsoft felt that too many programs were
        taking initiatives to grab input focus, so that disabled the function that
        most programmers used to bring application windows to the front.

        Once a browser is running, NoteTab attempts to use DDE to communicate with
        it. When it does so, it is the browser's responsibility to come forwards.
        Microsoft seems to have fixed the problem in IE5, as it comes forward when
        invoked this way. However, this is not the case of Netscape, and it is up
        to their programmers to fix their code.

        Regards,
        Eric Fookes
        -----------
        NoteTab v4.6a available from
      • Tryggve Stenlund
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
          "Eric G.V. Fookes" wrote:

          > >the browser's window *does not* come to the top.
          > >However; the browser's task bar button flashes twice and the
          > >stays highlighted. I then have to click the browser window
          > >to get it to the top or use the alt-tab function.

          > This is a Windows 98 feature. Microsoft felt that too many programs were
          > taking initiatives to grab input focus, so that disabled the function that
          > most programmers used to bring application windows to the front.

          > Microsoft seems to have fixed the problem in IE5, as it comes forward when
          > invoked this way. However, this is not the case of Netscape, and it is up
          > to their programmers to fix their code.

          Sounds funny MS refixes new Windows98 "features" with IE5. It think it
          looks more like they have taught IE5 to throw anything off top that
          Windows itself can't lower for some obscure reason.

          >From the postings there are obviously a number of manifestations
          of problems in the "top dance".

          Does anybody know if these problems exist in Windows 2000 as well?

          Regards,

          Tryggve

          --
        • lmhamilton@juno.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 7, 1999
            On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 15:06:10 +0100 Tryggve Stenlund <tryggve@...>
            writes:
            > Sounds funny MS refixes new Windows98 "features" with IE5. It think
            > it
            > looks more like they have taught IE5 to throw anything off top that
            > Windows itself can't lower for some obscure reason.
            >
            > >From the postings there are obviously a number of manifestations
            > of problems in the "top dance".
            >
            > Does anybody know if these problems exist in Windows 2000 as well?

            It's not a problem, it's a "feature"! ; )

            Larry