[NTB] New NoteTab input control

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 19, 1999
      Hi all,

      As some of you may remember, I informed you some time ago of a new input
      control that I was considering to use in a future version of NoteTab. It is
      called TSyntaxMemo and has impressive features that were very promising. In
      fact, I have used it in my Mailbag Assistant and Album Express programs.
      Unfortunately, it has some internal features that make it very difficult to
      integrate in NoteTab. So I've been continuing my search and found another
      input control that may be more suitable. It is called the "Dream Memo" and
      its web site is located at:

      http://www.dream-com.com/memo.html

      Some of the features that will be appreciated are:
      * Good syntax highlighting (but not as good as TSyntaxMemo)
      * Fast
      * Unlimited file size and paragraph size
      * Allows background images
      * Columnar selection with the mouse (hold down the Alt key and drag mouse)
      * Better key mapping (Windows, Standard, Brief, Epsilon)
      * Split window (display the same file in two windows

      Less appreciated:
      * Not quite as fast as NoteTab Pro, but faster than TSyntaxMemo
      * Only Monospaced fonts, like NoteTab Pro
      * No option to show non-printable characters (apparently planned for the
      next release)
      * No support for double-byte characters (apparently planned for a future
      release)

      Of course, before I make any commitment to using their input control, I
      would like to know if you like it or not; and whether you see problem areas
      that I have missed.

      You can download their demo program from the following link:

      http://www.dream-com.com/Download/dmdemo.zip

      Unfortunately, there is no example for HTML-syntax highlighting. For that,
      you will have to download the trial version of CSE HTML Validator Pro,
      which displays HTML files in a split view of "Dream Memo":

      http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

      I'll be interested to read what you think of it.