[NTB] Finding files with particular extensions ? "Default directory ?

  • John Fitzsimons
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 1999
      I have some questions I would appreciate someone answering :

      (1) When I "File - Open" the filebox only appears to allow me to
      open one file extension, or all of them. How do I list multiple
      extensions ?

      In most file boxes I can simply put in *.doc,*.wpd and only files of
      BOTH types will be displayed.

      (2) When I open the file box it keeps "defaulting" to a directory that
      I do NOT want. How do I change this "default" setting to a different
      directory ?

      Along the same lines, can one also change the "Save as" default
      directory ?

      TIA.

      Regards, John.

      ,-._|\ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
      / Oz \ johnf@..., Fidonet 3:633/309
      \_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
      v http://www.alphalink.com.au/~johnf/
    • Mark Pulver
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 1999
        John Fitzsimons (09:07 AM 11/13/1999) wrote:

        >(1) When I "File - Open" the filebox only appears to allow me to
        >open one file extension, or all of them. How do I list multiple
        >extensions ?
        >
        >In most file boxes I can simply put in *.doc,*.wpd and only files of
        >BOTH types will be displayed.

        The real separator for a Windows dialog (from a coder's point of view) is a
        semi-colon... *.doc;*.wpd

        >(2) When I open the file box it keeps "defaulting" to a directory that
        >I do NOT want. How do I change this "default" setting to a different
        >directory ?

        In View | Options | Files there is a set of options that interact in
        interesting ways. In the bottom half of that dialog you have:

        Match Directory / Use Default Directories

        Open Directory
        Save Directory

        (from the help file)

        Match Directory: The working directory matches the directory of the
        active document when you use the main Open dialog box.

        Use Default Directories: Set this option to always use fixed directories
        for opening and saving documents.

        Open Directory: Default directory for opening files when the "Use Default
        Directories" option is set.

        Save Directory: Default directory for saving files when the "Use Default
        Directories" option is set.

        >Along the same lines, can one also change the "Save as" default
        >directory ?

        "Save Directory" from above will take care of this, if you have "Use
        Default" checked.

        Mark

        Stuff: http://www.midiwall.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 1999
          Hi John,

          > (1) When I "File - Open" the filebox only appears to allow me
          > to open one file extension, or all of them. How do I list
          > multiple extensions ?
          >
          > In most file boxes I can simply put in *.doc,*.wpd and only
          > files of BOTH types will be displayed.

          Look in Options under the File Filters tab and you can add your
          own there. There are a number of examples already unless you
          removed them.

          These are the defaults that came with the program:

          [FileFilters]
          FilterCount=9
          FileBoxFilter_1=Text files (*.txt)|*.txt
          FileBoxFilter_2=DOS Ascii (*.txt;*.asc)|*.txt;*.asc
          FileBoxFilter_3=Text Outlines (*.otl)|*.otl
          FileBoxFilter_4=Text Templates (*.tpl)|*.tpl
          FileBoxFilter_5=HTML files (*.htm;*.html;*.?html;*asp;*.css)|*.htm;*.html;*.?html;*asp;*.css
          FileBoxFilter_6=EBCDIC files (*.cbl;*.cob;*.cpy;*.ddl;*.bms)|*.cbl;*.cob;*.cpy;*.ddl;*.bms
          FileBoxFilter_7=Ini files (*.ini)|*.ini
          FileBoxFilter_8=Batch files (*.bat)|*.bat
          FileBoxFilter_9=All files (*.*)|*.*
          FileBoxFilterId=1
          FileBoxExt=txt

          The last two lines above are:

          FileBoxFilterId=1
          - Default filter type that shows up in your Open dialog.
          - Move file type(s) to the bottom of list in Options
          File Filters to make default.

          FileBoxExt=txt
          - Default extension new files open as.

          Glad to see you did not fall off the bottom of the earth way down
          there. ;-)

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab

          The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
          mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...