[NTB] Re: [NTB-S] New user questions

  • Will Sappington
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
      On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:41:26 -0600, Jody didst scribe thus:

      <snip column discussion>

      Thanks Jody, I'll it again.

      >Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
      Any chance of getting "fixed" tabs in Std so the product is consistent
      across the board? This seems like a real inconsistency to me, not
      only that auto-indent would allow you to indent with spaces but the
      Tab key won't, but that a feature so simple and basic would be offered
      in one version of the product but not another.

      eul8r,
      -will
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
        Hi Will,

        > 1) Would someone please explain how to select a _column_ of
        > text and copy/paste it into another document?

        When you read it replace "block" with "row & column" and perhaps it
        will make more sense to you.

        It determines the row and column coordinates based on the
        selection's start and end coordinates.

        > ...but NTB can somehow figure out that it's really a column
        > selection, and was completely baffled by that description.

        Some programs actually show the selected text in a rectangular
        block so you see what you have blocked. At the time Eric
        programmed it he decided to just get the coordinates of when the
        user first clicked to select and when he released the click
        indicated the start and stop ot the block. Other programs do the
        same thing I suppose to know where the block is, but they added
        the feature to make the selected text rectangular for the user.
        We hope to see it improved in the future.

        > Lastly, I tried selecting (with the mouse) a column from a
        > paragraph with hard line breaks at the end of each line (Help
        > says no word-wrapped lines),...

        That is fine.

        > ...starting at the upper left (position 1,1 of the paragraph) and
        > dragging the cursor to about 5,25. Every character from 1,1 to
        > 5,25 was included in the selection...

        Correct.

        > ...and when I did Modify | Block | Copy, then Modify | Block |
        > Paste in another document, I got *nothing*. No text was copied
        > over at all.

        I split lines at 50 to get hard breaks.
        I selected from 1:1 to 6:27.
        Did a Modify | Block | Copy
        Opened a New Document
        Did a Modify | Block | Paste

        2) Tabs. The kind you in
        reasons I don't need to ge
        indention character of cho
        where I work. I have been
        help files and I can't fin
        indent with spaces instead

        > 2) Tabs. The kind you indent with, that is. For reasons I
        > don't need to get into, spaces are the indention character of
        > choice among the developers where I work.

        From Help, pay attention to Pro vs. Std:

        Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in
        NoteTab Std by separating each value with a semi-colon (;).
        Values must be ordered in increasing sizes and represent the
        distance from the left margin.

        Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std): Defines units
        used for tab size.

        Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
        behavior of the editor by changing this option. If the tab type
        is set to Real, pressing <Tab> inserts a "real" tab character
        into the document. If the tab type is set to Fixed, pressing
        <Tab> inserts enough spaces to move the cursor to the next tab
        stop. (This is called "fixed tabs" because the position of
        existing text will not change if the tab size is later changed,
        as it does if real tabs are used.) If the tab type is set to
        Smart, spaces are also inserted into the document, but the
        positions of the tab stops are a function of the positions of the
        words in the previous line.

        c ya,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.
        Today is obviously not your day.
        Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/
      • Will Sappington
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
          Back to the column selection thing, a thought just occurred to me.

          On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:41:26 -0600, Jody didst scribe thus:

          >It determines the row and column coordinates based on the
          >selection's start and end coordinates.
          >
          >Some programs actually show the selected text in a rectangular
          >block so you see what you have blocked.
          Actually, every other advanced editor I've used (Brief, MultiEdit,
          CodeWright, et. al.)

          >At the time Eric
          >programmed it he decided to just get the coordinates of when the
          >user first clicked to select and when he released the click
          >indicated the start and stop ot the block.
          Now here's the question: What if I actually want to c&p the entire
          selection instead of the column indicated by the row:col coordinates?
          For example, suppose I wanted to select (in this paragraph) from "Now
          here's..." to "For example," and I wanted the entire text instead of a
          column that ends at t,n, and "," on the respective lines. How would
          NTB know the difference? Would I have to select the entire paragraph,
          Join Lines to strip the line breaks, select the unbroken text string
          for the c&p, then split the lines again?

          eul8r,
          -will
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
            Hi Will,

            > <snip column discussion>

            Thanks for that!

            >> Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
            >> Any chance of getting "fixed" tabs in Std so the product is
            >> consistent across the board?

            That's up to Eric. ;) It might be an input control issue which
            means there might be some difficult/time consuming programming
            involved.

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
              Hi Will,

              > Now here's the question: What if I actually want to c&p the
              > entire selection instead of the column indicated by the row:col
              > coordinates? For example, suppose I wanted to select (in this
              > paragraph) from "Now here's..." to "For example," and I wanted
              > the entire text instead of a column that ends at t,n, and ","
              > on the respective lines. How would NTB know the difference?

              Eric must get the coordinates of a selection every time something
              is selected then acts on it according to what kind of copy
              (c,p,d) you do.

              > Would I have to select the entire paragraph, Join Lines to
              > strip the line breaks, select the unbroken text string for the
              > c&p, then split the lines again?

              Correct, if you do it manually. A Clip can do it with one click
              if you have "Single click to Paste" on in Options under the
              Clipbook tab. Please sign up for the Clips list if you need help
              with a Clip. (See below.)

              t,n, and "," If seen that, but where?

              Happy Clip'n!
              Jody

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab Clip List...
              mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
            • Manuel
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 14, 1999
                One idea.

                I have serveral files, example

                Jody Adair -001.txt
                Erick Fookes -002.txt

                and I have a file in the same directory with the name

                friends.txt

                and the the next link work ok.

                [*-001] Jody Adair
                [*-002] Erick Fookes

                When I double clic of hyperlink it's open the file thant contains:
                -001, or -002

                It's fantastic because I can rename the file Jody Adair-001 to
                Jode Adair, moderator notetab-001

                And the link work's ok well.

                This is perfect if I have a
                context.txt
                Open notetab [*01]
                Close notetab [*55]

                and I in the same folder the files

                Open notetab -01.txt
                Close program notetab -02.txt

                Then I have two thinks:
                1. One file by contents
                2. List of file in alfabetical order

                It's perfect to made a manual

                and Good night I go to sleep zzzzzz¡¡¡
                It's 1.54 a.m. in Spain
                --
                Manuel, from Spain
                manumail@...
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 15, 1999
                  Hi Manuel,

                  At 02:00 AM 11/15/99 +0100, you wrote:

                  >I have serveral files, example
                  >
                  >Jody Adair -001.txt
                  >Erick Fookes -002.txt
                  >
                  >and the the next link work ok.
                  >
                  >[*-001] Jody Adair
                  >[*-002] Erick Fookes
                  >
                  >When I double clic of hyperlink it's open the file thant contains:
                  >-001, or -002

                  Good tip!

                  Those links will act on the Default directory, since they have no Path.

                  If you have defined, under Options, the Default directory as being
                  "C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\" , and that directory contains among
                  other files the following:

                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName01.txt
                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName02.txt
                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName03.txt
                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName04.txt
                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName05.txt

                  [NoName*.*] will open 1 file starting the name with "NoName", e.g:
                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName01.txt
                  (I would like it to open all of them.)

                  On the other hand, [*Name*.*] will open 1 file containing "NoName" inside
                  the filename, e.g:
                  C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\Old_NoName01.txt

                  Unfortunately, those links don't work in OTLs. There, you need to specify
                  the whole Path:
                  [C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName*.*]

                  >It's fantastic because I can rename the file Jody Adair-001 to
                  >Jode Adair, moderator notetab-001

                  I wouldn't recommend changing Jody to Jode... you might run into problems. <g>

                  Regards,

                  RS
                • Manuel
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 1999
                    MANUEL
                    It's fantastic because I can rename the file Jody Adair-001 to
                    Jode Adair, moderator notetab-001

                    RS
                    I wouldn't recommend changing Jody to Jode... you might run into
                    problems. <g>

                    MANUEL
                    Excuse me Jody! I make a mistake :-) and thanks Rs for your coments.
                    I use notetab from one years ago and I, today, I learn one thing more.

                    The live have suprises :)

                    --
                    Manuel, from Spain
                    manumail@...
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 15, 1999
                      Hi Manuel,

                      > Excuse me Jody! I make a mistake :-) and thanks Rs for your
                      > coments. I use notetab from one years ago and I, today, I learn
                      > one thing more.

                      No big deal at all - I got a chuckle out of it. I have not had
                      time to try out your tricks, but read through it when it came and
                      was impressed! Thanks!!!

                      Proverbs 15:15
                      See ya in the funnies!

                      mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe