[NTB] [NTB-S] New user questions

  • Will Sappington
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
      Couple of questions regarding NTB Std, latest version:

      1) Would someone please explain how to select a _column_ of text and
      copy/paste it into another document? I looked in the help index under
      "columnar copy/cut/past" which took me to the Modify | Block help page
      which was of absolutely no help because it makes no reference to
      column selections at all. I also tried to follow what someone else
      said a week or two ago about selecting a block that looks like a
      normal selection, but NTB can somehow figure out that it's really a
      column selection, and was completely baffled by that description.
      Lastly, I tried selecting (with the mouse) a column from a paragraph
      with hard line breaks at the end of each line (Help says no
      word-wrapped lines), starting at the upper left (position 1,1 of the
      paragraph) and dragging the cursor to about 5,25. Every character
      from 1,1 to 5,25 was included in the selection and when I did Modify |
      Block | Copy, then Modify | Block | Paste in another document, I got
      *nothing*. No text was copied over at all. I give up, please help.

      2) Tabs. The kind you indent with, that is. For reasons I don't
      need to get into, spaces are the indention character of choice among
      the developers where I work. I have been all over the menus and help
      files and I can't find a way to get NTB to indent with spaces instead
      of tabs when you press the Tab key. If auto-indent is on it will
      auto-indent with spaces or tabs as you wish, but 'Tab' is a hard key,
      no choice? C'mon, really, does that make sense? I hope I've just
      overlooked something because I have a hard time believing that an
      editor as advanced as NTB would have that kind of limitation,
      something I would expect out of a Micro$lop product like Notepad.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

      -will
    • Will Sappington
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
        On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:41:26 -0600, Jody didst scribe thus:

        <snip column discussion>

        Thanks Jody, I'll it again.

        >Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
        Any chance of getting "fixed" tabs in Std so the product is consistent
        across the board? This seems like a real inconsistency to me, not
        only that auto-indent would allow you to indent with spaces but the
        Tab key won't, but that a feature so simple and basic would be offered
        in one version of the product but not another.

        eul8r,
        -will
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
          Hi Will,

          > 1) Would someone please explain how to select a _column_ of
          > text and copy/paste it into another document?

          When you read it replace "block" with "row & column" and perhaps it
          will make more sense to you.

          It determines the row and column coordinates based on the
          selection's start and end coordinates.

          > ...but NTB can somehow figure out that it's really a column
          > selection, and was completely baffled by that description.

          Some programs actually show the selected text in a rectangular
          block so you see what you have blocked. At the time Eric
          programmed it he decided to just get the coordinates of when the
          user first clicked to select and when he released the click
          indicated the start and stop ot the block. Other programs do the
          same thing I suppose to know where the block is, but they added
          the feature to make the selected text rectangular for the user.
          We hope to see it improved in the future.

          > Lastly, I tried selecting (with the mouse) a column from a
          > paragraph with hard line breaks at the end of each line (Help
          > says no word-wrapped lines),...

          That is fine.

          > ...starting at the upper left (position 1,1 of the paragraph) and
          > dragging the cursor to about 5,25. Every character from 1,1 to
          > 5,25 was included in the selection...

          Correct.

          > ...and when I did Modify | Block | Copy, then Modify | Block |
          > Paste in another document, I got *nothing*. No text was copied
          > over at all.

          I split lines at 50 to get hard breaks.
          I selected from 1:1 to 6:27.
          Did a Modify | Block | Copy
          Opened a New Document
          Did a Modify | Block | Paste

          2) Tabs. The kind you in
          reasons I don't need to ge
          indention character of cho
          where I work. I have been
          help files and I can't fin
          indent with spaces instead

          > 2) Tabs. The kind you indent with, that is. For reasons I
          > don't need to get into, spaces are the indention character of
          > choice among the developers where I work.

          From Help, pay attention to Pro vs. Std:

          Tab Size: Text Tab size. You can set multiple tab sizes in
          NoteTab Std by separating each value with a semi-colon (;).
          Values must be ordered in increasing sizes and represent the
          distance from the left margin.

          Tab Units (only available in NoteTab Light/Std): Defines units
          used for tab size.

          Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
          behavior of the editor by changing this option. If the tab type
          is set to Real, pressing <Tab> inserts a "real" tab character
          into the document. If the tab type is set to Fixed, pressing
          <Tab> inserts enough spaces to move the cursor to the next tab
          stop. (This is called "fixed tabs" because the position of
          existing text will not change if the tab size is later changed,
          as it does if real tabs are used.) If the tab type is set to
          Smart, spaces are also inserted into the document, but the
          positions of the tab stops are a function of the positions of the
          words in the previous line.

          c ya,
          jody

          I can only please one person a day.
          Today is obviously not your day.
          Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

          http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/
        • Will Sappington
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
            Back to the column selection thing, a thought just occurred to me.

            On Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:41:26 -0600, Jody didst scribe thus:

            >It determines the row and column coordinates based on the
            >selection's start and end coordinates.
            >
            >Some programs actually show the selected text in a rectangular
            >block so you see what you have blocked.
            Actually, every other advanced editor I've used (Brief, MultiEdit,
            CodeWright, et. al.)

            >At the time Eric
            >programmed it he decided to just get the coordinates of when the
            >user first clicked to select and when he released the click
            >indicated the start and stop ot the block.
            Now here's the question: What if I actually want to c&p the entire
            selection instead of the column indicated by the row:col coordinates?
            For example, suppose I wanted to select (in this paragraph) from "Now
            here's..." to "For example," and I wanted the entire text instead of a
            column that ends at t,n, and "," on the respective lines. How would
            NTB know the difference? Would I have to select the entire paragraph,
            Join Lines to strip the line breaks, select the unbroken text string
            for the c&p, then split the lines again?

            eul8r,
            -will
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
              Hi Will,

              > <snip column discussion>

              Thanks for that!

              >> Type Tab (only available in NoteTab Pro): You can change the
              >> Any chance of getting "fixed" tabs in Std so the product is
              >> consistent across the board?

              That's up to Eric. ;) It might be an input control issue which
              means there might be some difficult/time consuming programming
              involved.

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
              mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
                Hi Will,

                > Now here's the question: What if I actually want to c&p the
                > entire selection instead of the column indicated by the row:col
                > coordinates? For example, suppose I wanted to select (in this
                > paragraph) from "Now here's..." to "For example," and I wanted
                > the entire text instead of a column that ends at t,n, and ","
                > on the respective lines. How would NTB know the difference?

                Eric must get the coordinates of a selection every time something
                is selected then acts on it according to what kind of copy
                (c,p,d) you do.

                > Would I have to select the entire paragraph, Join Lines to
                > strip the line breaks, select the unbroken text string for the
                > c&p, then split the lines again?

                Correct, if you do it manually. A Clip can do it with one click
                if you have "Single click to Paste" on in Options under the
                Clipbook tab. Please sign up for the Clips list if you need help
                with a Clip. (See below.)

                t,n, and "," If seen that, but where?

                Happy Clip'n!
                Jody

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab Clip List...
                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              • Manuel
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 14, 1999
                  One idea.

                  I have serveral files, example

                  Jody Adair -001.txt
                  Erick Fookes -002.txt

                  and I have a file in the same directory with the name

                  friends.txt

                  and the the next link work ok.

                  [*-001] Jody Adair
                  [*-002] Erick Fookes

                  When I double clic of hyperlink it's open the file thant contains:
                  -001, or -002

                  It's fantastic because I can rename the file Jody Adair-001 to
                  Jode Adair, moderator notetab-001

                  And the link work's ok well.

                  This is perfect if I have a
                  context.txt
                  Open notetab [*01]
                  Close notetab [*55]

                  and I in the same folder the files

                  Open notetab -01.txt
                  Close program notetab -02.txt

                  Then I have two thinks:
                  1. One file by contents
                  2. List of file in alfabetical order

                  It's perfect to made a manual

                  and Good night I go to sleep zzzzzz¡¡¡
                  It's 1.54 a.m. in Spain
                  --
                  Manuel, from Spain
                  manumail@...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 15, 1999
                    Hi Manuel,

                    At 02:00 AM 11/15/99 +0100, you wrote:

                    >I have serveral files, example
                    >
                    >Jody Adair -001.txt
                    >Erick Fookes -002.txt
                    >
                    >and the the next link work ok.
                    >
                    >[*-001] Jody Adair
                    >[*-002] Erick Fookes
                    >
                    >When I double clic of hyperlink it's open the file thant contains:
                    >-001, or -002

                    Good tip!

                    Those links will act on the Default directory, since they have no Path.

                    If you have defined, under Options, the Default directory as being
                    "C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\" , and that directory contains among
                    other files the following:

                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName01.txt
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName02.txt
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName03.txt
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName04.txt
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName05.txt

                    [NoName*.*] will open 1 file starting the name with "NoName", e.g:
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName01.txt
                    (I would like it to open all of them.)

                    On the other hand, [*Name*.*] will open 1 file containing "NoName" inside
                    the filename, e.g:
                    C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\Old_NoName01.txt

                    Unfortunately, those links don't work in OTLs. There, you need to specify
                    the whole Path:
                    [C:\Program Files\NoteTab\General\NoName*.*]

                    >It's fantastic because I can rename the file Jody Adair-001 to
                    >Jode Adair, moderator notetab-001

                    I wouldn't recommend changing Jody to Jode... you might run into problems. <g>

                    Regards,

                    RS
                  • Manuel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 15, 1999
                      MANUEL
                      It's fantastic because I can rename the file Jody Adair-001 to
                      Jode Adair, moderator notetab-001

                      RS
                      I wouldn't recommend changing Jody to Jode... you might run into
                      problems. <g>

                      MANUEL
                      Excuse me Jody! I make a mistake :-) and thanks Rs for your coments.
                      I use notetab from one years ago and I, today, I learn one thing more.

                      The live have suprises :)

                      --
                      Manuel, from Spain
                      manumail@...
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 15, 1999
                        Hi Manuel,

                        > Excuse me Jody! I make a mistake :-) and thanks Rs for your
                        > coments. I use notetab from one years ago and I, today, I learn
                        > one thing more.

                        No big deal at all - I got a chuckle out of it. I have not had
                        time to try out your tricks, but read through it when it came and
                        was impressed! Thanks!!!

                        Proverbs 15:15
                        See ya in the funnies!

                        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe