[NTB] startup

  • Michael Gerholdt
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
      Hi,

      Win98
      Shortcut to NoteTab Pro in my Startup directory with orders to "Run
      Minimized"

      NoteTab Pro Options
      Stay on Top is NOT checked
      Icon in System Tray is checked

      What I want to happen is that upon bootup, NoteTab loads and obediently
      takes its place in the systray awaiting my bidding, but does not inhabit the
      desktop.

      This actually happens about, oh, 20% of the time or a bit less.

      Most of the time, NoteTab just loads to the desktop full window and stays
      right there like it's the center of my world (not too far from the truth but
      I can't let on or it'll be sending me for coffee before long).

      Any thoughts/insights/tricks that I didn't pick up in obedience school?
      (Down, NoteTab! Sit!)

      Thanks,
      --Michael Gerholdt
    • Charles Cairns
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
        Michael Gerholdt wrote in part:

        > What I want to happen is that upon bootup, NoteTab loads and obediently
        > takes its place in the systray awaiting my bidding, but does not inhabit the
        > desktop...
        > Most of the time, NoteTab just loads to the desktop full window and stays
        > right there like it's the center of my world...

        Same thing happens infrequently to me, Michael, but in reverse and on NT and
        Win95. (So far no problem on Win98.) I prefer NoteTab to launch on my desktop
        and be ready to use, but occasionally it hides in my task bar. Looking forward
        to other's observations.

        --csc
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
          Hi Charles & Michael,

          > Any thoughts/insights/tricks that I didn't pick up in obedience
          > school? (Down, NoteTab! Sit!)

          hahaha

          There appears to be some kind of timimg problem when starting
          NoteTab from the shortcut menu. If you happen to use one of
          those programs like NetLaunch to load apps on start up that has
          an option to delay the startup of each app that will prevent you
          getting the double (tray icon/taskbar icon) and loading maximized
          if you have it delay a few seconds - it did for me when I use to
          run in the tray.

          If not or if you prefer this should work for you:

          Open C:\Windows\win.ini
          At the top add your NoteTab path to "load=" like below.
          Take NoteTab out of your Startup menu.

          [windows]
          load=E:\NTP\NotePro.exe
          run=

          > I prefer NoteTab to launch on my desktop and be ready to use,
          > but occasionally it hides in my task bar.

          Charles, you need to put your path in the "run=" line:

          [windows]
          load=
          run=E:\NTP\NotePro.exe

          Load starts minimized.
          Run starts maximized.
        • Charles Cairns
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
            > Charles, you need to put your path in the "run=" line:

            Thanks, Jody!

            --csc
          • Michael Gerholdt
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
              Hi, Jody et al

              thanks, but -

              Here's what I have in my win.ini now
              load=C:\PROGRA~1\NOTETA~1\NOTEPRO.EXE

              and I took it out of my startup dir

              It still loads to desktop and stays there, although
              1) focus is not on NoteTab
              2) the icon is already in the systray (whereas before it wasn't until I
              first minimized NTP

              strangeness!

              Thanks,
              --Michael Gerholdt

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
                Hi Michael,

                >It still loads to desktop and stays there, although

                I believe I was a bit off on what I said. Load has it open, but
                has no effect on the size state. It does not focus though. I
                believe that is what you are saying happens with you. Another
                work around is to leave that the way it is (you aren't going to
                like this:) and put an OnClose in the bottom of all your
                Libraries with Minimize app in it. Please write me private eMail
                or to the Clips list if you need help, but I think you know how.

                > 1) focus is not on NoteTab
                > 2) the icon is already in the systray (whereas before it wasn't
                > until I first minimized NTP

                So, that is some improvement...
              • Planetwax@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 6, 1999
                  I have three questions:

                  1. How do I unsubscibe from this list? I need to resubscribe under a
                  different email address.

                  2. Can I get clips that use only HTML 4.0? Should I be doing this?

                  3. What is a good resource for learning the current specifications of HTML
                  4.0?

                  Thank you!

                  Janet
                  Lawrence, KS