[NTB] Re: Suggestions for next NoteTab upgrade.

  • Larry Thomas
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 5, 1999
      Hi David,

      At 01:49 PM 10/5/1999 +0200, you wrote:
      >1. A "Recycle" option for the tab|right click, or the ability to set
      >the present "Delete" from a real delete to "Recycle", from "Options".

      My delete when used from the tab|right click already sends the file to the
      recycle bin. I just tested it and the file I deleted is there.

      Regards,

      Larry
      larryt@...
    • Raymond Fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 11, 1999
        Hi David and Jody,

        >> 2. On "Modify|Text Case", a "Title" option, which would
        >> capitalize the first letter of major words, but would lower-
        >> case words like "and", "the", "of". There should be a
        >> possibility of having the list of "unimportant" words set by
        >> the user, maybe by editing a list in.ini .
        >
        >I would even go with a forced lowercase on those type of words if
        >that is all we could get. It would be easier to change one or
        >two back if need be than always having to manually put them in
        >lowercase. A clip could be built to that, but trying to find the
        >Clip is a different story. :)

        Here's a preliminary clip that works. I'm going to add a few enhancements.
        Words are from The Gregg Reference Manual.

        Cheers,
        Ray

        H="Title"
        ; 101199/rayfitz/prelimary
        ^!SetIniFile _Title
        ^!SetListDelimiter |
        ^!IfFalse ^$IsEmpty(^$GetValue("ShortList")$)$ Skip
        ; long line follows
        ^!SaveValue
        ShortList=The|A|An|And|As|But|If|Or|Nor|At|By|For|In|Of|Off|On|Out|To|Up
        ; end of long line
        ^!SetArray %Short%=^$GetValue("ShortList")$
        ^!Toolbar Capitalize
        ^!Set %nr%=1
        :LOOP
        ; long line follows
        ^!Replace "^%Short^%nr%%" >> "^$StrLower("^%Short^%nr%%")$" CSHA
        ; end of long line
        ^!If ^%nr%=^%Short0% End
        ^!Inc %nr%
        ^!Goto Loop
        ; End of this clip
      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 11, 1999
          Without noticing, Ray posted this CLIP to the basic list instead of the
          clips list:
          >H="Title"

          Sorry Jody!! You know I'm not usually this careless! ;-(
          (I'll have to be extra careful driving home tonite.)

          Ray
        • Scott Glasgow
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
            I would like to chime in with a suggestion of my own. I'm currently using
            TreePad for multi-level outlining (primarily tracking phone traffic/follow
            ups over time). It would be nice if the new version of NoteTab provided a
            means to automatically convert TreePad outlines to the new NoteTab
            multi-level outline format. It wouldn't even necessarily have to be fully
            automatic--if I could use TreePad's ability to export as HTML to produce an
            HTML version of the files which was then read in by NoteTab into its own
            multi-level format, that would be just fine.

            Scott Glasgow
          • Mark Pulver
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
              I have two that would make me just SOOOO happy...

              - Columnar block marking. The only editor that I've used that does this
              is Multi-Edit from American Cybernetics. It is indispensable for me
              when doing markups and edits on columnar text like reports or
              even directory listings.

              - Virtual cursor (or another way to say this is "being able to cursor
              into virtual space). Not having this is a good sized annoyance for me,
              but I love so much else about NoteTab that I deal with it.

              Mark

              Stuff: http://www.midiwall.com
            • Dan Huston
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                Is there a running list of suggestions for the next version on the Notetab web
                site? Is there any info about 'Gold' at the web site?

                --Dan

                Dan Huston Phone (602) 727-6652
                Measurement, Statistics and Methodological Studies Fax (602) 965-0300
                Psychology in Education dan.huston@...
                325 Payne Hall http://seamonkey.ed.asu.edu/~huston
                Arizona State University
                Tempe, AZ 85287-0611
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                  Hi Dan,

                  > Is there a running list of suggestions for the next version on
                  > the Notetab web site?

                  Eric has a wishlish for the suggestions.

                  > Is there any info about 'Gold' at the web site?

                  Nope.

                  Eric wrote this in the past. Like most things, there is always a
                  possibility of some change and especially what he wrote about
                  Light mixing it with the others below in items 2 and 3.

                  "1. Maintenance release for NoteTab v4.62: now that I have Windows
                  NT, I hope to be able to identify many of the issues reported
                  for that platform (particularly the poor performance of the
                  Perl and Gawk commands, and the frequent error messages some
                  of you are receiving). I will also fix all the reproducible
                  minor bugs that have been reported to me so far. If time
                  permits, I will be adding the Clip Toolbar.

                  2. NoteTab Gold: fully customizable syntax highlighting, more
                  sophisticated RegExp, multilevel outlines (tree-view list),
                  print preview, etc.

                  3. NoteTab Pro/Std/Light v5.0: more sophisticated RegExp,
                  multilevel outlines (tree-view list, but backward
                  compatibility), print preview, etc."

                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                  mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                    Hi Scott,

                    > I would like to chime in with a suggestion of my own. I'm
                    > currently using TreePad for multi-level outlining (primarily
                    > tracking phone traffic/follow ups over time). It would be nice
                    > if the new version of NoteTab provided a means to automatically
                    > convert TreePad outlines to the new NoteTab multi-level outline
                    > format.

                    My guess is when we get treeview for NoteTab a clip can be made
                    to convert Treepad to NoteTab.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                      Hi Mark,

                      >- Columnar block marking. The only editor that I've used that does this
                      > is Multi-Edit from American Cybernetics.

                      Another you have used that has it is NoteTab. :-) See Modify |
                      Block and Help. Block like you normally would and choose
                      Copy|Cut|Paste. The visable selection itself will not block
                      where you left your your "right mouse down" at, but NoteTab knows
                      where you blocked to.

                      http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                      The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                      mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
                    • Michiel van Minnen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                        Send reply to: notetab@egroups.com
                        Date sent: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:14:01 -0500
                        To: notetab@egroups.com
                        From: Mark Pulver <mpulver@...>
                        Subject: [NTB] Suggestions for next NoteTab upgrade.

                        > I have two that would make me just SOOOO happy...
                        >

                        > - Columnar block marking. The only editor that I've used that does this
                        > is Multi-Edit from American Cybernetics. It is indispensable for me
                        > when doing markups and edits on columnar text like reports or even
                        > directory listings.

                        Have you tried the Block submenu on the Modify menu ? It doesn't handle tabs
                        like I'd like it to, but I can cut and paste blocks just as well as in Multi-
                        Edit (I've only seen an old version of that).

                        > - Virtual cursor (or another way to say this is "being able to cursor
                        > into virtual space). Not having this is a good sized annoyance for me,
                        > but I love so much else about NoteTab that I deal with it.

                        Menu 'view', item 'Options', tabblad 'Document' item 'scroll past end of line'

                        When I've checked that, I can move my cursor beyond the end of lines.
                        I don't know if you mean that, although I've noticed this doesn't work right
                        with Windows NT.

                        Met vriendelijke groet,

                        Michiel van Minnen
                        --
                        Bit-IC - driven by Interaction
                        Rivium 1e Straat 35

                        For more interaction: http://www.bit-ic.nl
                      • Mark Pulver
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                          Jody (01:09 PM 10/18/1999) wrote:

                          Hi Jody,

                          >>- Columnar block marking. The only editor that I've used that does this
                          >> is Multi-Edit from American Cybernetics.
                          >
                          >Another you have used that has it is NoteTab. :-) See Modify |
                          >Block and Help. Block like you normally would and choose
                          >Copy|Cut|Paste. The visable selection itself will not block
                          >where you left your your "right mouse down" at, but NoteTab knows
                          >where you blocked to.

                          Ummm.... Nothing personal, but... "Yuk"... :)

                          Although NoteTab is not capable of drawing rectangular selections, it
                          determines the block coordinates based on the selection's start and end
                          coordinates.

                          [snip]

                          this feature may be improved in a future version of the program.

                          PLEASE!!!! :)

                          The ideal here (for me) is to not have to head for the mouse at all.

                          - set "Block Marking Mode"
                          - The cursor location is a corner of the block
                          - Move cursor to what will be the opposite corner, block is
                          drawn appropriately.
                          - Cut/Paste/Copy should "know" that I have a columnar block marked.
                          I shouldn't have to use separate commands to define how I want to
                          deal with the block.

                          (love ya' Eric!)

                          And, just to be accurate, I've since been told that Brief and CodeWright do
                          this as well...

                          Thanks for the consideration...

                          Mark

                          Stuff: http://www.midiwall.com
                        • Mark Pulver
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                            Michiel van Minnen (08:21 PM 10/18/1999) wrote:

                            Hi Michiel,

                            >> - Columnar block marking. The only editor that I've used that does this
                            >> is Multi-Edit from American Cybernetics. It is indispensable for me
                            >> when doing markups and edits on columnar text like reports or even
                            >> directory listings.
                            >
                            >Have you tried the Block submenu on the Modify menu ? It doesn't handle tabs
                            >like I'd like it to, but I can cut and paste blocks just as well as in Multi-
                            >Edit (I've only seen an old version of that).

                            I just responded to Jody about this, but in short, I knew this was there...
                            It's just not intuitive (for me) because it takes special keystrokes and
                            the highlighting drives me nuts. :(

                            I's SOOOO close to being dead-on to what I personally would like to see...

                            The Multi-Edit method is what I prefer... You can see the rectangular
                            highlighting, and don't have to distinguish between cut/paste/delete for
                            columnar or stream or line blocking.

                            >> - Virtual cursor (or another way to say this is "being able to cursor
                            >> into virtual space). Not having this is a good sized annoyance for me,
                            >> but I love so much else about NoteTab that I deal with it.
                            >
                            >Menu 'view', item 'Options', tabblad 'Document' item 'scroll past end of
                            >line'
                            >
                            >When I've checked that, I can move my cursor beyond the end of lines.
                            >I don't know if you mean that, although I've noticed this doesn't work right
                            >with Windows NT.

                            Wow... Where has THAT been all my life!

                            That was it... Thanks Michiel!

                            Mark

                            Stuff: http://www.midiwall.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                              Hi Mark,

                              > Ummm.... Nothing personal, but... "Yuk"... :)
                              >
                              > Although NoteTab is not capable of drawing rectangular
                              > selections... this feature may be improved in a future version
                              > of the program.
                              >
                              > PLEASE!!!! :)

                              It sure would save a lot of "Yuk" mail. ;-)

                              c ya,
                              jody

                              I can only please one person a day.
                              Today is obviously not your day.
                              Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                                Hi Mark,

                                > The Multi-Edit method is what I prefer... You can see the
                                > rectangular highlighting, and don't have to distinguish between
                                > cut/paste/delete for columnar or stream or line blocking.

                                Perhaps I am missing something here, but how would NoteTab now if
                                I wanted a block or the whole selection without me telling it I
                                was in block mode? That would still be nice though to go into
                                block mode then use there regular Copy/Cut/Paste. And... of
                                course we would need compliment scripting code too. Well, as
                                long as I'm dreaming... <bg>

                                I believe though since it is "functional yukie" that there are
                                other much more wished for items on the wish list to deal with.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                                  Hey Dere Again!

                                  >> The Multi-Edit method is what I prefer... You can see the
                                  >> rectangular highlighting, and don't have to distinguish between
                                  >> cut/paste/delete for columnar or stream or line blocking.
                                  >
                                  >Perhaps I am missing something here, but how would NoteTab now if
                                  >I wanted a block or the whole selection without me telling it I
                                  >was in block mode? That would still be nice though to go into
                                  >block mode then use there regular Copy/Cut/Paste. And... of
                                  >course we would need compliment scripting code too. Well, as
                                  >long as I'm dreaming... <bg>

                                  Because of setting a specific block mode before marking the block.

                                  I had said this before:

                                  - set "Block Marking Mode"
                                  - The cursor location is a corner of the block
                                  - Move cursor to what will be the opposite corner, block is
                                  drawn appropriately.
                                  - Cut/Paste/Copy should "know" that I have a columnar block marked.
                                  I shouldn't have to use separate commands to define how I want to
                                  deal with the block.

                                  But should of said this:

                                  - set "Columnar Block Marking Mode"
                                  - ...

                                  My apologies.

                                  In Multi-Edit, you declare up front how you want the editor to work with
                                  the block by how you mark the block. So, in my ME profile, I:

                                  ALT-C to start a column block
                                  ALT-L to start a line block (marks full lines at a time)
                                  SHIFT_CURSOR to mark a stream block (this is the normal "CUA" style
                                  marking)

                                  Multi-Edit is implemented within it's own compiled macro language, so it's
                                  easy to do stuff like this. For example, when the above is done, a global
                                  variable gets set defining the type of block that's marked. This is then
                                  later read by the cut/paste/delete macros so that they know up front how
                                  the block was marked, thus implying how to deal with the block.

                                  This extends past dealing with a single block. You can do things like
                                  cut/copy various types of blocks to numbered buffers, and then when you
                                  paste back from the buffers, the block type is preserved.

                                  Now, within the core of Multi-Edit, there *are* separate routines for
                                  handling the various block types, but all of that is abstracted by a common
                                  cut/paste/delete routine. For example, there's also the macro'd ability to
                                  "move" a block, which is just an abstracted cut/paste.

                                  You may ask why I don't just stay with ME... Well.. :) The ME UI is
                                  incredibly cluttered these days, and that's annoying for me. You can turn
                                  most everything off, but there is just SOOO much stuff buried in the menus
                                  and in places that you wouldn't think to look for it, and no way of
                                  globally setting some common things, that it's a nightmare trying to deal
                                  with it all.

                                  I moved to NoteTab a year ago or more, because it doesn't clutter, can deal
                                  with insane file sizes, understands HTML, and is pretty fast.

                                  I grew up with Wordstar 1.26 in non-document mode on CP/M. I'm not one for
                                  a lot of flash. :)

                                  >I believe though since it is "functional yukie" that there are
                                  >other much more wished for items on the wish list to deal with.

                                  Yeah, I know... :(

                                  Thanks for the chatter!

                                  Mark

                                  Stuff: http://www.midiwall.com
                                • Kay Roath
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                                    10/18/1999 11:33 AM Mark Pulver wrote
                                    > >>- Columnar block marking. The only editor that I've used that does this
                                    > >> is Multi-Edit from American Cybernetics.
                                    > >
                                    > >Another you have used that has it is NoteTab. :-) See Modify |
                                    > >Block and Help. Block like you normally would and choose
                                    > >Copy|Cut|Paste. The visable selection itself will not block
                                    > >where you left your your "right mouse down" at, but NoteTab knows
                                    > >where you blocked to.

                                    Also, if you do a block option without anything marked, you'll get a
                                    dialog that asks for row (already filled in with current), # of chrs
                                    across & # of columns down.

                                    --- Grandma Kay ---
                                  • Kay Roath
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                                      10/18/1999 8:01 AM Scott Glasgow wrote

                                      > I would like to chime in with a suggestion of my own. I'm currently using
                                      > TreePad for multi-level outlining (primarily tracking phone traffic/follow
                                      > ups over time). It would be nice if the new version of NoteTab provided a
                                      > means to automatically convert TreePad outlines to the new NoteTab
                                      > multi-level outline format.

                                      I'm sure we'll be able to do that fairly easily & I'm anxiously awaiting
                                      the opportunity! I find that most of what I need in tree form doesn't
                                      easily transfer to TreePad so I currently convert to NoteTab outline & then
                                      use a clip (posted to the clips list recently) to convert to TreePad. I'll
                                      be SO happy when I can do it all in NoteTab!

                                      --- Grandma Kay ---
                                    • Kay Roath
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 18, 1999
                                        10/18/1999 3:36 PM Mark Pulver wrote
                                        > In Multi-Edit, you declare up front how you want the editor to work with
                                        > the block by how you mark the block. So, in my ME profile, I:

                                        > ALT-C to start a column block
                                        > ALT-L to start a line block (marks full lines at a time)
                                        > SHIFT_CURSOR to mark a stream block (this is the normal "CUA" style
                                        > marking)

                                        I don't know if this is implemented but NoteTab does have an option to
                                        use WordStar key mapping Options|Advanced|Key Mapping. Should be close to
                                        a lot of Multi-Edit since they all copied WS :) I went from WS to Qedit &
                                        could map all my keys too so don't remember just what WS keys did what but
                                        wasn't much of a hassle to switch.

                                        --- Grandma Kay ---
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 19, 1999
                                          Hi Mark,

                                          >I had said this before:
                                          >
                                          > - set "Block Marking Mode"

                                          > >I believe though since it is "functional yukie" that there are
                                          > >other much more wished for items on the wish list to deal with.
                                          >
                                          > Yeah, I know... :(

                                          It's not as bad as it sounds. :) *My guess* is we have a slight
                                          chance for the next maintenance release, but a very good chance
                                          for the Gold and perhaps version 5.

                                          Eric sent out on his announcement list: (my emphasis)

                                          "Finally, we would like to thank you for your strong support.
                                          NoteTab has become very popular over the years, especially as a
                                          result of word-of-mouth recommendations from so many satisfied
                                          users. Also, it is thanks to NoteTab users that NoteTab Pro has
                                          won the "People's Choice" award two years in a row. *This really
                                          encourages us to continue improving NoteTab so that it fulfills
                                          the needs of our users*."

                                          There's hope!-)
                                        • Mark Pulver
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 19, 1999
                                            Jody (02:19 PM 10/19/1999) wrote:

                                            >Hi Mark,
                                            >
                                            >>I had said this before:
                                            >>
                                            >> - set "Block Marking Mode"
                                            >
                                            >> >I believe though since it is "functional yukie" that there are
                                            >> >other much more wished for items on the wish list to deal with.
                                            >>
                                            >> Yeah, I know... :(
                                            >
                                            >It's not as bad as it sounds. :) *My guess* is we have a slight
                                            >chance for the next maintenance release, but a very good chance
                                            >for the Gold and perhaps version 5.

                                            Oh, I KNEW someone liked me!

                                            >Eric sent out on his announcement list: (my emphasis)
                                            >
                                            >"Finally, we would like to thank you for your strong support.
                                            >NoteTab has become very popular over the years, especially as a
                                            >result of word-of-mouth recommendations from so many satisfied
                                            >users. Also, it is thanks to NoteTab users that NoteTab Pro has
                                            >won the "People's Choice" award two years in a row. *This really
                                            >encourages us to continue improving NoteTab so that it fulfills
                                            >the needs of our users*."
                                            >
                                            >There's hope!-)

                                            Thanks Jody!

                                            Mark
                                          • Michael Richards
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 15, 2000
                                              mark pulver <mpulve-@...> wrote

                                              > The ideal here (for me) is to not have to head for the mouse at all.
                                              >
                                              > - set "Block Marking Mode"
                                              > - The cursor location is a corner of the block
                                              > - Move cursor to what will be the opposite corner, block is
                                              > drawn appropriately.
                                              > - Cut/Paste/Copy should "know" that I have a columnar block marked.
                                              > I shouldn't have to use separate commands to define how I want to
                                              > deal with the block.

                                              This suggestion would mean you would need to do three steps to cut/copy
                                              etc
                                              a block rather than two with the current method (which BTW does not
                                              require the mouse). IMHO this seems like it would be slower to use.