[NTB] Re: Ghosted again

  • rainmark@att.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
      Hi Jody,
      I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after an improper shutdown.

      > Do you have your binary file warning turned off by any chance?

      Should it be turned off, and if so, where do I do that? If I re-install, can I leave all my stuff alone in the folders and just un-install the program and re-install it into the same place or should I put it in a new folder and then move all the stuff over to the new location? And if the Zip file is the culprit, I'll be right back where I am now.
      Thanks, Mark

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
        Hi Mark,

        Let's bring this to private eMail since it is only happenning
        with you and many users probably do not want the extra mail.
        I'll answer your post there. Thanks!

        http://www.sureword.com/notetab

        The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
        mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
      • Kay Roath
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
          09/02/1999 12:23 PM rainmark@... wrote
          > I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after
          > an improper shutdown.

          The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.
          The Strangled option only checks for file allocation errors.
          Strangled is the faster of the two & is the default if you
          have Win98 & it does the automatic ScanDisk after an
          improper shutdown. It sure sounds like you should run the
          Thorough option.

          Do you open NoteTab minimized? I've had some trouble under
          Win98 with minimized programs.

          Before you reinstall NoteTab, you might want to try making a
          backup of your NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini and erase the
          original so NoteTab will start as it did when you first got
          it & without any files open. Then you can start opening
          files and see if you hit an error on any of them. If you
          do, try opening them in WordPad. If you get an error in
          NoteTab & don't in WordPad, it may be that the file is too
          large for NoteTab Pro & you need NoteTab Std. Std can work
          with much larger files than Pro but you don't get the
          highlighting.

          What operating system are you running? Which version of
          NoteTab? What other programs are normally open? How much
          memory do you have? If you're running Win98, is your hard
          drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
          your storage space falls below 25% free.

          I think you've answered some of these things before but I've
          deleted earlier messages :(

          --- Grandma Kay ---
        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
            09/02/1999 8:56 AM Jody wrote
            >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
            >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
            >> drive problem.

            > Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
            > do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
            > caution.

            It's moving files around and making changes to the file
            allocation table (FAT). If you should happen to have a
            power outage or one of those mysterious Win98 reboot things
            or anything that stops it improperly, your hard disk can be
            seriously messed up.

            --- Grandma Kay ---
          • Nicole Simon
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
              LINDA WOODEND wrote:
              > 9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????

              Yes. This is a mailinglist with a webfrontend and you have yourself
              subscribed to it.

              This mailinglist has several hundred persons on it. And because of this,
              you should cut down your qoutes.

              Nicole

              --
              »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
              enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                9-3
                Jody, This message isn't for me.....I'm Linda Woodend creative56@...
                >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                >> drive problem.
                >
                >Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                >do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                >caution.
                >
                >Thanks!
                >Jody
                >
                >Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                >mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe

                >FREE 30 DAY TRIAL FOR EGROUPS MEMBERS: Portera Tracker - all you need
                >for bug & issue tracking. Access over the web & customize in minutes!
                >TRY IT FREE NOW! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/847
                >

                >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

              • LINDA WOODEND
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                  9-3
                  Jody, I don't know what's happening.....but this isn't me, again.....Linda
                  Woodend creative56@...

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                    9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????
                    creativer56@...

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                      LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                      > 9-3 Excuse me!!!!!!!!! I don't know what you're talking about.....I do
                      > know I don't need computer arrogance.

                      You write two own lines plus 32 lines of qoutes of my text.
                      This is a waste of time, money and diskspace. When you subscribed this
                      list, you received a welcome message. How about reading it?

                      Nicole

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                          Excuse me again dear! Please explain to me how to delete your wordy
                          messages and I'll be glad to. Linda

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                            Hi Linda,

                            > Please explain to me how to delete your wordy messages and I'll
                            > be glad to.

                            After you hit reply to a message select the text that is not
                            needed to understand your reply by holding the left mouce button
                            down and dragging it from one point to another. That will
                            highlight the unwanted text. After that press your backspace or
                            delete key. Thanks!

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                              > The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.

                              I ran Scandisk with the thorough option yesterday with no errors found.

                              > Do you open NoteTab minimized?

                              No.

                              > What operating system are you running?

                              Windows 95.

                              Which version of
                              > NoteTab?

                              Note Tab Pro 4.6a/np

                              What other programs are normally open?

                              Several, including FutureLink (satellite commodity feed).
                              Usually other text editors.

                              How much
                              > memory do you have?

                              128 megs.

                              If you're running Win98, is your hard
                              > drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
                              > your storage space falls below 25% free.

                              Windows 95 and NOT 75% full. Nowhere near that.
                              > --- Grandma Kay ---

                              Also I don't think the files in NTP are too large for the program to handle. I had cut down on the number of open outlines when I had the lost text problem.

                              Thanks, Mark