[NTB] Re: Ghosted again

  • Kay Roath
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
      09/01/1999 10:13 PM rainmark@... wrote
      > In an outline, I noticed that I've lost text twice today.
      > Both times I saved (compulsive and constant saving) and
      > later when going back to that outline half the text was
      > gone. Cut off right in the middle of a sentence. This has
      > happened a few times before and I thought it was me.

      Jody's suggestion about running ScanDisk is a good one.
      Use the Thorough option to check the disk surface.
      Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full
      backup!!!! I'd be very hesitant to try that when there
      seems to be a hard drive problem.

      --- Grandma Kay ---
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
        Hi Kay,

        > Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
        > I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
        > drive problem.

        Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
        do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
        caution.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
      • rainmark@att.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
          Hi Jody,
          I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after an improper shutdown.

          > Do you have your binary file warning turned off by any chance?

          Should it be turned off, and if so, where do I do that? If I re-install, can I leave all my stuff alone in the folders and just un-install the program and re-install it into the same place or should I put it in a new folder and then move all the stuff over to the new location? And if the Zip file is the culprit, I'll be right back where I am now.
          Thanks, Mark

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
            Hi Mark,

            Let's bring this to private eMail since it is only happenning
            with you and many users probably do not want the extra mail.
            I'll answer your post there. Thanks!

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab

            The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
            mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
          • Kay Roath
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
              09/02/1999 12:23 PM rainmark@... wrote
              > I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after
              > an improper shutdown.

              The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.
              The Strangled option only checks for file allocation errors.
              Strangled is the faster of the two & is the default if you
              have Win98 & it does the automatic ScanDisk after an
              improper shutdown. It sure sounds like you should run the
              Thorough option.

              Do you open NoteTab minimized? I've had some trouble under
              Win98 with minimized programs.

              Before you reinstall NoteTab, you might want to try making a
              backup of your NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini and erase the
              original so NoteTab will start as it did when you first got
              it & without any files open. Then you can start opening
              files and see if you hit an error on any of them. If you
              do, try opening them in WordPad. If you get an error in
              NoteTab & don't in WordPad, it may be that the file is too
              large for NoteTab Pro & you need NoteTab Std. Std can work
              with much larger files than Pro but you don't get the
              highlighting.

              What operating system are you running? Which version of
              NoteTab? What other programs are normally open? How much
              memory do you have? If you're running Win98, is your hard
              drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
              your storage space falls below 25% free.

              I think you've answered some of these things before but I've
              deleted earlier messages :(

              --- Grandma Kay ---
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
                09/02/1999 8:56 AM Jody wrote
                >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                >> drive problem.

                > Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                > do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                > caution.

                It's moving files around and making changes to the file
                allocation table (FAT). If you should happen to have a
                power outage or one of those mysterious Win98 reboot things
                or anything that stops it improperly, your hard disk can be
                seriously messed up.

                --- Grandma Kay ---
              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                  LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                  > 9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????

                  Yes. This is a mailinglist with a webfrontend and you have yourself
                  subscribed to it.

                  This mailinglist has several hundred persons on it. And because of this,
                  you should cut down your qoutes.

                  Nicole

                  --
                  »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                  enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                    9-3
                    Jody, This message isn't for me.....I'm Linda Woodend creative56@...
                    >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                    >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                    >> drive problem.
                    >
                    >Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                    >do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                    >caution.
                    >
                    >Thanks!
                    >Jody
                    >
                    >Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                    >mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe

                    >FREE 30 DAY TRIAL FOR EGROUPS MEMBERS: Portera Tracker - all you need
                    >for bug & issue tracking. Access over the web & customize in minutes!
                    >TRY IT FREE NOW! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/847
                    >

                    >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

                  • LINDA WOODEND
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                      9-3
                      Jody, I don't know what's happening.....but this isn't me, again.....Linda
                      Woodend creative56@...

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                        9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????
                        creativer56@...

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                          LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                          > 9-3 Excuse me!!!!!!!!! I don't know what you're talking about.....I do
                          > know I don't need computer arrogance.

                          You write two own lines plus 32 lines of qoutes of my text.
                          This is a waste of time, money and diskspace. When you subscribed this
                          list, you received a welcome message. How about reading it?

                          Nicole

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                              Excuse me again dear! Please explain to me how to delete your wordy
                              messages and I'll be glad to. Linda

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                Hi Linda,

                                > Please explain to me how to delete your wordy messages and I'll
                                > be glad to.

                                After you hit reply to a message select the text that is not
                                needed to understand your reply by holding the left mouce button
                                down and dragging it from one point to another. That will
                                highlight the unwanted text. After that press your backspace or
                                delete key. Thanks!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                  > The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.

                                  I ran Scandisk with the thorough option yesterday with no errors found.

                                  > Do you open NoteTab minimized?

                                  No.

                                  > What operating system are you running?

                                  Windows 95.

                                  Which version of
                                  > NoteTab?

                                  Note Tab Pro 4.6a/np

                                  What other programs are normally open?

                                  Several, including FutureLink (satellite commodity feed).
                                  Usually other text editors.

                                  How much
                                  > memory do you have?

                                  128 megs.

                                  If you're running Win98, is your hard
                                  > drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
                                  > your storage space falls below 25% free.

                                  Windows 95 and NOT 75% full. Nowhere near that.
                                  > --- Grandma Kay ---

                                  Also I don't think the files in NTP are too large for the program to handle. I had cut down on the number of open outlines when I had the lost text problem.

                                  Thanks, Mark