[NTB] Re: Ghosted again

    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 1999
      Hi Mark,

      >> That is not the same error you were receiving before though was it?
      >>
      >> "It hangs at the end of loading all the stuff. The error message
      >> said something like "Win32 API function is not operating
      >> correctly" or something like that."
      >
      > Right, this was a different error message than the Win 32
      > thing. I'm also having another problem. In an outline, I
      > noticed that I've lost text twice today. Both times I saved
      > (compulsive and constant saving) and later when going back to
      > that outline half the text was gone. Cut off right in the
      > middle of a sentence.

      Maybe Eric or somebody else has some suggestions on what might be
      going on. It would hurt to do a reinstall just to clear any
      doubts there. If it were me I would defrag and scan disk as well.

      Do you have your binary file warning turned off by any chance?

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
        09/01/1999 10:13 PM rainmark@... wrote
        > In an outline, I noticed that I've lost text twice today.
        > Both times I saved (compulsive and constant saving) and
        > later when going back to that outline half the text was
        > gone. Cut off right in the middle of a sentence. This has
        > happened a few times before and I thought it was me.

        Jody's suggestion about running ScanDisk is a good one.
        Use the Thorough option to check the disk surface.
        Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full
        backup!!!! I'd be very hesitant to try that when there
        seems to be a hard drive problem.

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
          Hi Kay,

          > Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
          > I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
          > drive problem.

          Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
          do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
          caution.

          Thanks!
          Jody

          Clean-Funnies: click and send...
          mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
        • rainmark@att.net
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
            Hi Jody,
            I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after an improper shutdown.

            > Do you have your binary file warning turned off by any chance?

            Should it be turned off, and if so, where do I do that? If I re-install, can I leave all my stuff alone in the folders and just un-install the program and re-install it into the same place or should I put it in a new folder and then move all the stuff over to the new location? And if the Zip file is the culprit, I'll be right back where I am now.
            Thanks, Mark

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
              Hi Mark,

              Let's bring this to private eMail since it is only happenning
              with you and many users probably do not want the extra mail.
              I'll answer your post there. Thanks!

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab

              The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
              mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
                09/02/1999 12:23 PM rainmark@... wrote
                > I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after
                > an improper shutdown.

                The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.
                The Strangled option only checks for file allocation errors.
                Strangled is the faster of the two & is the default if you
                have Win98 & it does the automatic ScanDisk after an
                improper shutdown. It sure sounds like you should run the
                Thorough option.

                Do you open NoteTab minimized? I've had some trouble under
                Win98 with minimized programs.

                Before you reinstall NoteTab, you might want to try making a
                backup of your NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini and erase the
                original so NoteTab will start as it did when you first got
                it & without any files open. Then you can start opening
                files and see if you hit an error on any of them. If you
                do, try opening them in WordPad. If you get an error in
                NoteTab & don't in WordPad, it may be that the file is too
                large for NoteTab Pro & you need NoteTab Std. Std can work
                with much larger files than Pro but you don't get the
                highlighting.

                What operating system are you running? Which version of
                NoteTab? What other programs are normally open? How much
                memory do you have? If you're running Win98, is your hard
                drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
                your storage space falls below 25% free.

                I think you've answered some of these things before but I've
                deleted earlier messages :(

                --- Grandma Kay ---
              • Kay Roath
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
                  09/02/1999 8:56 AM Jody wrote
                  >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                  >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                  >> drive problem.

                  > Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                  > do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                  > caution.

                  It's moving files around and making changes to the file
                  allocation table (FAT). If you should happen to have a
                  power outage or one of those mysterious Win98 reboot things
                  or anything that stops it improperly, your hard disk can be
                  seriously messed up.

                  --- Grandma Kay ---
                • Nicole Simon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                    LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                    > 9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????

                    Yes. This is a mailinglist with a webfrontend and you have yourself
                    subscribed to it.

                    This mailinglist has several hundred persons on it. And because of this,
                    you should cut down your qoutes.

                    Nicole

                    --
                    »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                    enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                      9-3
                      Jody, This message isn't for me.....I'm Linda Woodend creative56@...
                      >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                      >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                      >> drive problem.
                      >
                      >Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                      >do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                      >caution.
                      >
                      >Thanks!
                      >Jody
                      >
                      >Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                      >mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe

                      >FREE 30 DAY TRIAL FOR EGROUPS MEMBERS: Portera Tracker - all you need
                      >for bug & issue tracking. Access over the web & customize in minutes!
                      >TRY IT FREE NOW! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/847
                      >

                      >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

                    • LINDA WOODEND
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                        9-3
                        Jody, I don't know what's happening.....but this isn't me, again.....Linda
                        Woodend creative56@...

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                          9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????
                          creativer56@...

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                            LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                            > 9-3 Excuse me!!!!!!!!! I don't know what you're talking about.....I do
                            > know I don't need computer arrogance.

                            You write two own lines plus 32 lines of qoutes of my text.
                            This is a waste of time, money and diskspace. When you subscribed this
                            list, you received a welcome message. How about reading it?

                            Nicole

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                Excuse me again dear! Please explain to me how to delete your wordy
                                messages and I'll be glad to. Linda

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                  Hi Linda,

                                  > Please explain to me how to delete your wordy messages and I'll
                                  > be glad to.

                                  After you hit reply to a message select the text that is not
                                  needed to understand your reply by holding the left mouce button
                                  down and dragging it from one point to another. That will
                                  highlight the unwanted text. After that press your backspace or
                                  delete key. Thanks!

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                    > The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.

                                    I ran Scandisk with the thorough option yesterday with no errors found.

                                    > Do you open NoteTab minimized?

                                    No.

                                    > What operating system are you running?

                                    Windows 95.

                                    Which version of
                                    > NoteTab?

                                    Note Tab Pro 4.6a/np

                                    What other programs are normally open?

                                    Several, including FutureLink (satellite commodity feed).
                                    Usually other text editors.

                                    How much
                                    > memory do you have?

                                    128 megs.

                                    If you're running Win98, is your hard
                                    > drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
                                    > your storage space falls below 25% free.

                                    Windows 95 and NOT 75% full. Nowhere near that.
                                    > --- Grandma Kay ---

                                    Also I don't think the files in NTP are too large for the program to handle. I had cut down on the number of open outlines when I had the lost text problem.

                                    Thanks, Mark