[NTB] Re: Ghosted again

  • rainmark@att.net
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 1999
      Hi Jody,
      > > I turned my Norton Virus program off, and got on line tonite,
      > > and got ghosted again and couldn't open NTP. The error message
      > > said: "Access violation at address 00484488 in module
      > > 'NotepadPro.EXE' Read of address 013A831B." So now I'm back to
      > > square one?????
      >
      > That is not the same error you were receiving before though was it?
      >
      > "It hangs at the end of loading all the stuff. The error message
      > said something like "Win32 API function is not operating
      > correctly" or something like that."

      Right, this was a different error message than the Win 32 thing. I'm also having another problem. In an outline, I noticed that I've lost text twice today. Both times I saved (compulsive and constant saving) and later when going back to that outline half the text was gone. Cut off right in the middle of a sentence. This has happened a few times before and I thought it was me. But now I know for sure it wasn't. Twice today. I had copied from another editor (EditPad) both times (plain txt) and now I have the 3rd copy in there and am waiting to see. Real strange. This happened before AND after my ghost tonite. What IS it with this program? Should I do a re-install or what?
      Maybe I'm just getting a bunch of flack because of the nature of the outlines. Ya know? If I was writing fairy tales maybe all would go well.
      Mark
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 1999
        Hi Mark,

        >> That is not the same error you were receiving before though was it?
        >>
        >> "It hangs at the end of loading all the stuff. The error message
        >> said something like "Win32 API function is not operating
        >> correctly" or something like that."
        >
        > Right, this was a different error message than the Win 32
        > thing. I'm also having another problem. In an outline, I
        > noticed that I've lost text twice today. Both times I saved
        > (compulsive and constant saving) and later when going back to
        > that outline half the text was gone. Cut off right in the
        > middle of a sentence.

        Maybe Eric or somebody else has some suggestions on what might be
        going on. It would hurt to do a reinstall just to clear any
        doubts there. If it were me I would defrag and scan disk as well.

        Do you have your binary file warning turned off by any chance?

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      • Kay Roath
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
          09/01/1999 10:13 PM rainmark@... wrote
          > In an outline, I noticed that I've lost text twice today.
          > Both times I saved (compulsive and constant saving) and
          > later when going back to that outline half the text was
          > gone. Cut off right in the middle of a sentence. This has
          > happened a few times before and I thought it was me.

          Jody's suggestion about running ScanDisk is a good one.
          Use the Thorough option to check the disk surface.
          Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full
          backup!!!! I'd be very hesitant to try that when there
          seems to be a hard drive problem.

          --- Grandma Kay ---
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
            Hi Kay,

            > Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
            > I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
            > drive problem.

            Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
            do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
            caution.

            Thanks!
            Jody

            Clean-Funnies: click and send...
            mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe
          • rainmark@att.net
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
              Hi Jody,
              I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after an improper shutdown.

              > Do you have your binary file warning turned off by any chance?

              Should it be turned off, and if so, where do I do that? If I re-install, can I leave all my stuff alone in the folders and just un-install the program and re-install it into the same place or should I put it in a new folder and then move all the stuff over to the new location? And if the Zip file is the culprit, I'll be right back where I am now.
              Thanks, Mark

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
                Hi Mark,

                Let's bring this to private eMail since it is only happenning
                with you and many users probably do not want the extra mail.
                I'll answer your post there. Thanks!

                http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                The NoteTab Basic Discussion List
                mailto:NoteTab-Subscribe@...
              • Kay Roath
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
                  09/02/1999 12:23 PM rainmark@... wrote
                  > I defragged just recently. Also scan disked recently after
                  > an improper shutdown.

                  The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.
                  The Strangled option only checks for file allocation errors.
                  Strangled is the faster of the two & is the default if you
                  have Win98 & it does the automatic ScanDisk after an
                  improper shutdown. It sure sounds like you should run the
                  Thorough option.

                  Do you open NoteTab minimized? I've had some trouble under
                  Win98 with minimized programs.

                  Before you reinstall NoteTab, you might want to try making a
                  backup of your NotePro.ini or NoteTab.ini and erase the
                  original so NoteTab will start as it did when you first got
                  it & without any files open. Then you can start opening
                  files and see if you hit an error on any of them. If you
                  do, try opening them in WordPad. If you get an error in
                  NoteTab & don't in WordPad, it may be that the file is too
                  large for NoteTab Pro & you need NoteTab Std. Std can work
                  with much larger files than Pro but you don't get the
                  highlighting.

                  What operating system are you running? Which version of
                  NoteTab? What other programs are normally open? How much
                  memory do you have? If you're running Win98, is your hard
                  drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
                  your storage space falls below 25% free.

                  I think you've answered some of these things before but I've
                  deleted earlier messages :(

                  --- Grandma Kay ---
                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 1999
                    09/02/1999 8:56 AM Jody wrote
                    >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                    >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                    >> drive problem.

                    > Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                    > do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                    > caution.

                    It's moving files around and making changes to the file
                    allocation table (FAT). If you should happen to have a
                    power outage or one of those mysterious Win98 reboot things
                    or anything that stops it improperly, your hard disk can be
                    seriously messed up.

                    --- Grandma Kay ---
                  • Nicole Simon
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                      LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                      > 9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????

                      Yes. This is a mailinglist with a webfrontend and you have yourself
                      subscribed to it.

                      This mailinglist has several hundred persons on it. And because of this,
                      you should cut down your qoutes.

                      Nicole

                      --
                      »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                      enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                        9-3
                        Jody, This message isn't for me.....I'm Linda Woodend creative56@...
                        >> Doing a defrag is never a good idea without a full backup!!!!
                        >> I'd be very hesitant to try that when there seems to be a hard
                        >> drive problem.
                        >
                        >Thanks for that info. I have never had problems with defrag and
                        >do it fairly regulary, so I did not know it should be used with
                        >caution.
                        >
                        >Thanks!
                        >Jody
                        >
                        >Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                        >mailto:CF@...?subject=Subscribe

                        >FREE 30 DAY TRIAL FOR EGROUPS MEMBERS: Portera Tracker - all you need
                        >for bug & issue tracking. Access over the web & customize in minutes!
                        >TRY IT FREE NOW! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/847
                        >

                        >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

                      • LINDA WOODEND
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                          9-3
                          Jody, I don't know what's happening.....but this isn't me, again.....Linda
                          Woodend creative56@...

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                            9-3 I got it now....the egroups go to everyone?!?! Right????
                            creativer56@...

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                              LINDA WOODEND wrote:
                              > 9-3 Excuse me!!!!!!!!! I don't know what you're talking about.....I do
                              > know I don't need computer arrogance.

                              You write two own lines plus 32 lines of qoutes of my text.
                              This is a waste of time, money and diskspace. When you subscribed this
                              list, you received a welcome message. How about reading it?

                              Nicole

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999

                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                  Excuse me again dear! Please explain to me how to delete your wordy
                                  messages and I'll be glad to. Linda

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                    Hi Linda,

                                    > Please explain to me how to delete your wordy messages and I'll
                                    > be glad to.

                                    After you hit reply to a message select the text that is not
                                    needed to understand your reply by holding the left mouce button
                                    down and dragging it from one point to another. That will
                                    highlight the unwanted text. After that press your backspace or
                                    delete key. Thanks!

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 3, 1999
                                      > The Thorough option checks your hard disk for bad spots.

                                      I ran Scandisk with the thorough option yesterday with no errors found.

                                      > Do you open NoteTab minimized?

                                      No.

                                      > What operating system are you running?

                                      Windows 95.

                                      Which version of
                                      > NoteTab?

                                      Note Tab Pro 4.6a/np

                                      What other programs are normally open?

                                      Several, including FutureLink (satellite commodity feed).
                                      Usually other text editors.

                                      How much
                                      > memory do you have?

                                      128 megs.

                                      If you're running Win98, is your hard
                                      > drive more than 75% full? Fat32 does weird things when
                                      > your storage space falls below 25% free.

                                      Windows 95 and NOT 75% full. Nowhere near that.
                                      > --- Grandma Kay ---

                                      Also I don't think the files in NTP are too large for the program to handle. I had cut down on the number of open outlines when I had the lost text problem.

                                      Thanks, Mark