[NTB] Learning the language

  • BIGNetProfits
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 30, 1999
      Hi Jody,

      Are there any documents available that explain the concept behind clips? My
      problem is trying to figure clips out without a programming background.

      I know I can use them based on what I've seen, but some kind of document
      with step by step instructions would be a huge help.

      Thanks.
      Brett Connolly
      Administrator

      BIGNetProfits
      Voice: 847-998-8246
      Fax: 847-657-8469
      Email: webmaster@...
    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 1999
        08/30/1999 6:55 AM BIGNetProfits wrote
        > Are there any documents available that explain the concept
        > behind clips? My problem is trying to figure clips out
        > without a programming background.

        > I know I can use them based on what I've seen, but some
        > kind of document with step by step instructions would be a
        > huge help.

        Try http://notetab.kay.net for a start & sign up for the
        clips list to ask questions about how to do what you want.
        It will all start making sense sooner than you'd think :)

        Since the credit card processor that I was using to sell the
        Introduction to NoteTab Clip Programming dumped me for not
        selling enough, I'm trying to get some stuff put on the web
        that won't require a lot of support time. The current page
        is just a start in that direction & I hope to add more soon.

        --- Grandma Kay ---
      • rainmark@att.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 1999
          Hi Kay,
          > Since the credit card processor that I was using to sell the
          > Introduction to NoteTab Clip Programming dumped me for not
          > selling enough, I'm trying to get some stuff put on the web
          > that won't require a lot of support time. The current page
          > is just a start in that direction & I hope to add more soon.
          >
          > --- Grandma Kay ---
          --------------------------------
          Thanks Kay,
          I too have been waiting for your resurrection.
          Mark
        • Lynda Marshall
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 30, 1999
            Can anybody tell me why the URL below at kay.net doesn't work?

            Thanks.
            Lynda
            > Are there any documents available that explain the concept
            > behind clips? My problem is trying to figure clips out
            > without a programming background.

            > I know I can use them based on what I've seen, but some
            > kind of document with step by step instructions would be a
            > huge help.

            Try http://notetab.kay.net for a start & sign up for the
            clips list to ask questions about how to do what you want.
            It will all start making sense sooner than you'd think :)

            Since the credit card processor that I was using to sell the
            Introduction to NoteTab Clip Programming dumped me for not
            selling enough, I'm trying to get some stuff put on the web
            that won't require a lot of support time. The current page
            is just a start in that direction & I hope to add more soon.

            --- Grandma Kay ---

            ----

          • Kay Roath
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 30, 1999
              08/30/1999 4:56 PM Lynda Marshall wrote

              > Can anybody tell me why the URL below at kay.net doesn't work?

              That host seems to be having problems lately :( There's a
              link to the page at http://able2find.com

              --- Grandma Kay ---
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 30, 1999
                Hi Brett,

                > Are there any documents available that explain the concept
                > behind clips? My problem is trying to figure clips out without
                > a programming background.
                >
                > I know I can use them based on what I've seen, but some kind of
                > document with step by step instructions would be a huge help.

                I suggest you try Granny's. :) There is also Clip Basics in
                Help. Search for that under the Find tab. There are simple
                sample prompts and other things in it. Copy them into a clip and
                make some changes to see the effects.

                Look at the Clips done by Eric as well. He added a lot of
                comments in the Clips on what they do. Right click over a Clip
                and choose "Edit Clip."

                A great way to learn is join the clips List. There are many
                Clips that come through, some with comments in the code and some
                without. The author of the clip (or others) will be glad to
                answer questions about a Clip if you do not understand.

                Once you think you are getting the hang of it think of a Clip you
                need and start building it. When you run into a problem, post it
                to the Clips list (or the section you are working on) and ask for
                help.

                Happy Clip'n!
                Jody

                The NoteTab Clip List...
                mailto:Ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
              • Mijland, P.J.J. (Erno)
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 31, 1999
                  Brett wrote:

                  > Are there any documents available that explain the concept behind clips?
                  > My
                  > problem is trying to figure clips out without a programming background.
                  >
                  > I know I can use them based on what I've seen, but some kind of document
                  > with step by step instructions would be a huge help.

                  I learned a lot by reading the helpfiles. Then I just started writing clips.
                  Trial and error-learning. Sometimes ask question in the clips-list (all very
                  kind people who are willing to help).

                  Have fun,
                  Erno
                • Claes Gauffin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 31, 1999
                    Hi Brett,

                    At 08:55 1999-08-30 -0500, you wrote:

                    >Are there any documents available that explain the concept behind clips?

                    For me, nothing beats Wayne VanWeerthuizen's NoteTab Reference Outline.
                    http://landru.i-link-2.net/wayne/ntr460.zip

                    I wouldn't last a day without it. Basically it is Help material, slightly
                    expanded. But with the outline open it is literally instantaneously
                    available with all the copy&paste and searchability that you need. All
                    items have links to related topics or commands, which usually means that
                    you quickly get what you need even with only a vague start idea.
                    Of course it is more of a reference than a tutorial, but the first sections
                    actually give a nice introduction as well.

                    Regards /Claes
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 31, 1999
                      Hi Claes,

                      > For me, nothing beats Wayne VanWeerthuizen's NoteTab Reference
                      > Outline. http://landru.i-link-2.net/wayne/ntr460.zip
                      >
                      > I wouldn't last a day without it. Basically it is Help
                      > material, slightly expanded.

                      I use it many times daily myself. I moved all the commands and
                      functions above all the longer info topics to make it so I don't
                      have to scroll to them all the time. Thanks once again Wayne.

                      Bye for now,
                      Jody Adair
                      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner