[NTB] Re: Trim white space

  • jbrodeur@us.ibm.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
      I have a problem with the blank lines/numbering system as well. I am using the
      editor to write design rule checks and the checker compiler gets confused with
      line numbers because (I assume) it does not count the blank lines. If there is
      a way to prevent this I would sure like to know because with a long file I have
      to do a lot of searching to find a particular error.

      Jim Brodeur
      Layout Designer
      Commquest/IBM in Auburn, Ca.

      Dennis Aoki <ardensystems@...> on 08/04/99 01:05:08 PM

      Please respond to notetab@egroups.com

      To: NoteTab <notetab@egroups.com>
      cc:
      Subject: [NTB] Trim white space

      Larry/Jody,

      The problem was selection of the "use defaults" box just as suggested.

      It would be nice if upon saving a file, the currently loaded version
      reflected the deleted spaces. I don't mind too much but I can
      foresee some people being confused by this.

      While wishing, I wish that the line numbering would number the blank
      lines also. When I use a printed output along with a different
      editor (or speak to someone over the phone that is using a different
      editor) I cannot reference the line number without mentally adding
      the blank lines.

      NoteTab's clip capability seems to be substantial. I have tried the
      web site where someone was selling NoteTab documentation but they
      no longer have credit card service. Is there another source of
      NoteTab info? Especially the clip capability? I have no idea of
      exactly how the clips are working with the text file. It would be
      nice if there was a summary of the relationship between the clips
      and NoteTab and the text file. Also, a summary of the NoteTab
      syntax would be useful. Is it based on an established language?
      The clip site is oriented towards those already using clips and
      doesn't seem to address these things.

      Is there a way to use the clip capability to gather text DIRECTLY
      into NoteTab from a serial port without creating and loading a
      separate file?

      Thanks for the help,
      Dennis

      Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
      http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/630

    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
        Hi Jim and Dennis,

        At 02:39 PM 8/4/1999 -0600, you wrote:

        >I have a problem with the blank lines/numbering system as well. I am
        using the
        >editor to write design rule checks and the checker compiler gets confused
        with
        >line numbers because (I assume) it does not count the blank lines. If
        there is
        >a way to prevent this I would sure like to know because with a long file I
        have
        >to do a lot of searching to find a particular error.
        >

        >Jim Brodeur
        >Layout Designer
        >Commquest/IBM in Auburn, Ca.

        You can at least view the actual lines by selecting View | Line Numbers.
        This will produce a gutter on the left side of the document with line
        number in it. The line numbers are not in the document itself though. And
        you need to know that word wrap affects what you are looking at so you need
        to turn word wrap off to see the actual line where something is located.
        It is of some help to be able to do this though.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
          Hi Jim and Dennis,

          >While wishing, I wish that the line numbering would number the blank
          >lines also. When I use a printed output along with a different
          >editor (or speak to someone over the phone that is using a different
          >editor) I cannot reference the line number without mentally adding
          >the blank lines.

          This doesn't help much with printed output, but NTP gives you a vertical
          ruler that numbers each line, including blank ones. The numbers change
          according to whether word wrap is on or off.

          When you talk about line numbering, I assume you mean Modify | Lines |
          Number Lines? Perhaps someone has already written a clip that duplicates
          this *and* includes blank lines. You'll need to inquire on the Clips list,
          of course. I have one (named "Data Fill" because it's patterned after the
          Lotus menu command) but it works in a blank document.

          Cheers,
          Ray Fitz
        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
            08/04/1999 2:24 PM Larry Thomas wrote

            > You can at least view the actual lines by selecting View |
            > Line Numbers.

            You can also access those lines by clicking the area that
            shows line/row (far left status bar). If you enter the line
            # & the doc is wrapped, you get screen line. If you put the
            letter p and then the line #, you get the paragraph (real
            line) regardless of wrapping. Shift+Ctrl+L if you prefer
            keystrokes.

            --- Grandma Kay ---
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4, 1999
              Hi Dennis, Jim, and All,

              > The problem was selection of the "use defaults" box just as
              > suggested.

              I had thought about that after posting and saw Ray covered it
              so... :)

              > While wishing, I wish that the line numbering would number the
              > blank lines also.

              I'll send some Clips to the Clip list under "Line Numbers" and
              you private eMail.

              Happy NoteTabbin',

              http://www.sureword.com/notetab
              NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
              http://www.notetab.com
            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 1999
                Raymond Fitzgerald <raymond.fitzgerald@...> wrote:

                >When you talk about line numbering, I assume you mean Modify | Lines |
                >Number Lines? Perhaps someone has already written a clip that duplicates
                >this *and* includes blank lines. You'll need to inquire on the Clips list,
                >of course. I have one (named "Data Fill" because it's patterned after the
                >Lotus menu command) but it works in a blank document.

                NoteAwk has a search and replace clip that can be used to number lines
                (or words, or paragraphs, etc) matching any pattern. It is easy to
                number just non-blank lines with it.

                See: http://landru.myhome.net/wayne/notetab.html

                Choose the clip: "Search and Replace by Scope"

                Select the text you want to number (which does not have to be the whole
                document) and give it these settings, leaving other settings at the
                defaults:

                Scope: Each Line
                Search For: Everything (or Non-Blank Lines)
                Include Original Text: After the Replacement Text
                Step Value For Numbering: 1

                Furthermore, if you do it all the time, you can rename and save the gawk
                script that NoteAwk creates, so that you can run it again without having
                to reenter the specifications into the wizard each time.

                --
                Wayne M. VanWeerthuizen
                ICQ: 15117288