[NTB] Re: Date and Time

  • Raymond Fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 1999
      Hi Dr. Maharaj,

      >Is there a way to similarly produce yesterday's
      >and tomorrow's date and time automagically, or does
      >this question belong in the latest Wish List? :-)

      This shouldn't be difficult to do in a clip, but if Eric can implement it
      using the system date, so much the better! I say go for it. (I've got one
      I'm about to submit myself.) BTW, do you have my Date/time clip? (It's a
      reference; it doesn't do the above.)

      Cheers,
      Ray Fitz
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 1999
        Hi Ray,

        At 03:54 PM 8/4/1999 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hi Dr. Maharaj,
        >
        >>Is there a way to similarly produce yesterday's
        >>and tomorrow's date and time automagically, or does
        >>this question belong in the latest Wish List? :-)
        >
        >This shouldn't be difficult to do in a clip, but if Eric can implement it
        >using the system date, so much the better! I say go for it. (I've got one
        >I'm about to submit myself.) BTW, do you have my Date/time clip? (It's a
        >reference; it doesn't do the above.)

        I would prefer Eric added the feature to NoteTab myself. It should not be
        too difficult but I bet it is very difficult in spite of what it should or
        should not be. Well, it might not be difficult for Ray !-) Lots of things
        are easy for him. I have a Hewlett-Packard HP-12 calculator with the
        function to calculate days between dates and dates +/- dates and I have the
        manual that came with it that has the formulas used. I darn near wore
        myself out creating a Lotus 123 spread sheet file that would use the
        formulas to do this and then I got Excel and it already does all of this.
        That was then end of that for me! I also have a freeware 32 bit calculator
        called Excalibur that performs like a Hewlett-Packard RPN calculator and
        does this for me along with a host of other functions without all of the
        grief of having to set up a clip in NoteTab so I have not been very
        interested in trying to port my Lotus 123 spread sheet fromula to NoteTab.
        And that is pretty much why I would just as soon see Eric add the function
        to NoteTab in some form or other.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...
      • Dr. Jai Maharaj
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 1999
          Larry Thomas <larryt@...> wrote
          on Wednesday, August 04, 1999 11:37 AM:
          > . . . And that is pretty much why I would just as soon
          > see Eric add the function to NoteTab in some form or other.

          He is generous and may add it in the future. I
          neglected to mention how such a feature would be
          helpful, at least in my use of Note Tab Pro: when
          creating or editing newsletters and releases for the
          day, I need to write tomorrow's date because my
          computer is set to the Hawaii time zone -- which is 10
          hours behind UTC. So, by the time I am done preparing
          the documents in the afternoon, it is already tomorrow
          in most of the world. Sometimes I do set the computer
          to tomorrow's date (UTC date usually) but then I need
          yesterday's date for documents which are intended for
          local circulation. :-)

          Aloha,

          Jai Maharaj
          jai@...
          Om Shanti

          Julian Date: 2451.395 at noon
        • Raymond Fitzgerald
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 1999
            Hi Larry,

            You wrote:
            >I would prefer Eric added the feature to NoteTab myself. It should not be
            >too difficult but I bet it is very difficult in spite of what it should or
            >should not be.

            Yes, I'm afraid I understated the difficulty. But Dr. Maharaj did ask about
            just yesterday and tomorow's date--that part should be easy! ;-)

            > Well, it might not be difficult for Ray !-) Lots of things
            >are easy for him.

            Well, I can type fast. :->

            >I have a Hewlett-Packard HP-12 calculator with the
            >function to calculate days between dates and dates +/- dates

            Always glad to hear of another user. I luv my HP financial calculator (not
            as much as NTB of course!) Don't know if they treat dates exactly as Excel
            and 1-2-3 do. With HP you input 8.041999 for today's date (actually the year
            is optional if it's the current year).

            >And that is pretty much why I would just as soon see Eric add the function
            >to NoteTab in some form or other.

            Second that.

            Cheers,
            Ray
          • Raymond Fitzgerald
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 1999
              Hi Dr. Maharaj,

              >when creating or editing newsletters and releases for the
              >day, I need to write tomorrow's date because my
              >computer is set to the Hawaii time zone

              Actually I already have a clip that takes an input date in the form mm/dd/yy
              and converts it to the long date ("August 4, 1999"). It can be easily
              modified to use the F5 date instead. If you're interested please e-mail me
              private.

              Cheers,
              Ray
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 1999
                Hi Ray and Dr. Maharaj,

                > Actually I already have a clip that takes an input date in the
                > form mm/dd/yy and converts it to the long date ("August 4,
                > 1999"). It can be easily modified to use the F5 date instead.
                > If you're interested please e-mail me private.

                You might send him your existing Date & Time filter found in
                Options under Tools as well. A more complicated clip will have
                to be built if you are using a day of the week such as Sunday.
                There will be another slight problem when going back/forward a
                day of the moth when it crosses months such as the 31st to the
                1st when goinging forward or 29th of Febuarary <g>. Perhaps
                Ray has already accounted for those things though.

                c ya,
                jody

                I can only please one person a day.
                Today is obviously not your day.
                Tomorrow doesn't look good either. 8?D

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/
              • Raymond Fitzgerald
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 6, 1999
                  Hi all,

                  And Jody wrote:
                  >There will be another slight problem when going back/forward a
                  >day of the moth when it crosses months such as the 31st to the
                  >1st when goinging forward or 29th of Febuarary <g>.

                  OK, I'm done with this clip if anyone's interested. It lends itself quite
                  well to the Auto-replace mode because there's twelve short month names that
                  each call for the main clip. So to get tomorrow's date just key "aug[space]"
                  (actually any month) and "August 7, 1999" will be inserted.

                  Days in the month and leap years are accounted for (adequately I hope!). And
                  it doesn't use F5 so you can keep your own date filter (in
                  View|Options|Tools).

                  I'll post this to the Clips list or e-mail me if you don't want to mess with
                  long lines.

                  Cheers,
                  Ray