[NTB] Trim white space

  • Dennis Aoki
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 1999
      Larry/Jody,

      The problem was selection of the "use defaults" box just as suggested.

      It would be nice if upon saving a file, the currently loaded version
      reflected the deleted spaces. I don't mind too much but I can
      foresee some people being confused by this.

      While wishing, I wish that the line numbering would number the blank
      lines also. When I use a printed output along with a different
      editor (or speak to someone over the phone that is using a different
      editor) I cannot reference the line number without mentally adding
      the blank lines.

      NoteTab's clip capability seems to be substantial. I have tried the
      web site where someone was selling NoteTab documentation but they
      no longer have credit card service. Is there another source of
      NoteTab info? Especially the clip capability? I have no idea of
      exactly how the clips are working with the text file. It would be
      nice if there was a summary of the relationship between the clips
      and NoteTab and the text file. Also, a summary of the NoteTab
      syntax would be useful. Is it based on an established language?
      The clip site is oriented towards those already using clips and
      doesn't seem to address these things.

      Is there a way to use the clip capability to gather text DIRECTLY
      into NoteTab from a serial port without creating and loading a
      separate file?

      Thanks for the help,
      Dennis
    • David Seidman
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 4, 1999
        At 01:05 PM 8/4/1999 -0700, Dennis Aoki wrote:
        >While wishing, I wish that the line numbering would number the blank
        >lines also. When I use a printed output along with a different
        >editor (or speak to someone over the phone that is using a different
        >editor) I cannot reference the line number without mentally adding
        >the blank lines.

        GAWK will number lines easily. The following one line awk program will
        insert a right justified line number in a 5 column field followed by a
        blank space followed by the original line, including blank lines. It
        ignores the way NoteTab wraps lines -- if you are using the NoteTab line
        numbering feature, this should number your lines as if you turned off the
        wrapping before you ran the routine. You can run it easily using Wayne's
        NoteAwk, or you can make it into a clip using the RunGawk command. (Of
        course, you could also run GAWK command line or run prompt, which is
        faster, but less NoteTab-oriented).

        {printf("%5d %s\n",NR,$0)}