[NTB] Re: one of many instances?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 1999
      Hi tf,

      > I have multiple instances running. I like multiple instances.
      > But can I send new documents to just one of them?

      I can't answer that question, but you can drag the file to the
      Taskbar till NoteTab focuses then drop it in the edit window.

      Bye for now,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

      http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
      http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1 1:11 AM
        Hi tf,

        At 10:10 PM 7/31/1999 -0500, you wrote:
        >Hey all,
        >
        >Can I force one instance of notetab to be a single instance? The file
        manager I use has an "edit new"
        >feature (probably explorer does too) that sends whatever.file to notetab.
        But it keeps on loading new
        >instances.
        >
        >I have multiple instances running. I like multiple instances. But can I
        send new documents to just one of
        >them?
        >
        >-t

        You can create a shortcut that opens a single instance copy of NoteTab. It
        is possible to have one and only one single instance copy of NoteTab
        running at one time but you can have many, many copies of the multi
        instance version running with it. If you create the single instance
        shortcut, you can send your files to it and they will all be opened only in
        the one copy. The only problem is that your "edit new" feature must be set
        to the special shortcut you create. Explorer uses the "SendTo" feature
        from the mouse right=click button menu.

        Copy your shortcut to NTP. Now rename the new shortcut to a special name
        to indicate it is a single instance version of NTP. Now right-click on the
        shortcut and select properties. On the properties dialog, you will see
        "Target" and in that box you will see the pathname to NoteTab. Do not
        delete this item but edit it to add /INI=filename to the end of it and
        replace filename with the name of a new version of the NoteTab ini file
        that you create. Create the new ini file by copying NoteTab's old file and
        renaming the copy to the same name you used in /INI=filename.

        Now you are ready to make the shortcut into a single instance version.
        Simply open a copy of NoteTab using the new shortcut. Select View from the
        menu and uncheck Multiple Instances then shutdown that copy of NoteTab.
        That will make that copy come up as a single instance copy everytime you
        start it. Your other shortcut will come up as a multi instance copy when
        you start it. Every file you want to send to a single instance of NoteTab,
        you just send to the single instance shortcut.

        Again. this works with Explorer's "SendTo" function. You have to get your
        "Edit New" function to use the single instance shortcut for it to work for
        you.

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...