[NTB] Re: Freeware Home - review NoteTab Light.htm

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 29, 1999
      Hi Sean

      > My apologies. This seemed like such a positive review of my
      > favourite text editor that I simply had to share it. I'm sorry
      > I went about it the wrong way.

      No big deal. Actually, there is no problem with posting a short
      review like that, but just put it in your "favourite text editor"
      first so we don't get the attachments and html formatting.
      Thanks!

      Happy Camper,
      Jody Adair
      Prov. 15:15

      Clean-Funnies
      mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 29, 1999
        Hi Kai,

        > Seems to me all you have to do is press delete if you don't
        > like the content. Don't know what the big deal is, Jody.

        There are nearing 450 or so members on the list. It is not easy
        to keep everybody happy, but I try to do so. I personally do not
        like making posts like I do, but if I do not the list will be a
        real mess in no time at all. When I send a post out to say not
        to do something it is not intended to flame or pick on the list
        member that sent it, but just for everybody to see. When people
        start seeing others do something like send attachments of any
        size, they think it is ok to do. The next thing you know we
        would have .5MB files to download all the time. I get up to 10MB
        files via eMail periodically and send/receive 1MB files all the
        time. It does not bother me to get a few extra at all.

        What does bother me is when people have to pay for their
        connection and get files that are necessary. It does bother me
        that I have to take the time out to go to my attachment folder
        and guess at what files need to be deleted or switch back and
        forth from my mail app to make sure, or any other method I choose
        to do it. When you multiply that by as many members we have on
        the list it is a lot of wasted time and money for everybody.

        While I am on my hobby horse:)

        For the most part all of you are great as far as doing what needs
        to be done for the consideration of others on the list - thank
        you much! There are always those few though that continually
        leave a lot of extra text in the posts that is not needed to
        understand it. It is far better for one person to delete all
        that text than for 400 to scroll all the way down it just to see,
        "Thanks," and every kb adds up for those that have to pay for it.

        So, please, instead of the sarcasm, just say ok, he must be a
        jerk about these things for a reason and let well enough be well
        enough. I am always be happy to explain why I make these posts
        and prefer it to be in private eMail so we do not have to clutter
        up the list with extra mail so I do not have to make these posts
        to the list once a week.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 29, 1999
          Hi Sean,

          > Again I apologize. I didn't know it would be a problem. Time:
          > 30 seconds? Money? 30 seconds of electricity won't kill many.

          Nobody is jumping on you Sean, don't take it personally. What
          you don't understand though is the people on the list that live
          outside the US for the most part have to pay an exspensive rate
          for their connection time. Every little bit adds up.

          > Disk space. Can be deleted.

          Yes, it can, but it takes time. Please try to look at it from a
          list view. If I alone get an attachment, I alone delete it.
          However, when sent to this list, well you saw the figures, over
          4000 images to delete and also cluttering up cyberspace for
          something that is forbidden on the majority of mailing lists.
          4000 times nnn minutes is a lot of wasted time not to mention
          accidental deletion of an image we wanted. I am sure we all have
          better things to do than to waste time and money... and
          continuing this discussion. <g>

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 29, 1999
            Hi Sean,

            >.../FreewareHome/HomePageNewItemsSearchReviews/123

            Thanks for the review Sean, but please, next time just send the
            link for us so we can have the choice of looking at it and not
            all the images downloaded to everybody on the list. Combined we
            had over 4,000 images to delete. ;-)
          • Sean & Mona Sudol
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 29, 1999
              > >.../FreewareHome/HomePageNewItemsSearchReviews/123
              >
              > Thanks for the review Sean, but please, next time just send the
              > link for us so we can have the choice of looking at it and not
              > all the images downloaded to everybody on the list. Combined we
              > had over 4,000 images to delete. ;-)

              My apologies. This seemed like such a positive review of my favourite text
              editor that I simply had to share it. I'm sorry I went about it the wrong
              way.
            • Kai
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 29, 1999
                Seems to me all you have to do is press delete if you don't like the
                content. Don't know what the big deal is, Jody.

                -Kai

                At 05:55 AM 7/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hi Sean
                >
                >> My apologies. This seemed like such a positive review of my
                >> favourite text editor that I simply had to share it. I'm sorry
                >> I went about it the wrong way.
                >
                >No big deal. Actually, there is no problem with posting a short
                >review like that, but just put it in your "favourite text editor"
                >first so we don't get the attachments and html formatting.
                >Thanks!
                >
                >Happy Camper,
                >Jody Adair
                >Prov. 15:15
                >
                >Clean-Funnies
                >mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

                >GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
                >Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
                >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/615
                >

                >eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/notetab

              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                  Kai wrote:
                  > Seems to me all you have to do is press delete if you don't like the
                  > content. Don't know what the big deal is, Jody.

                  It is _very_ unpolite to post such huge mail instead of the more apropriate
                  'hey take a look at this great rewiew on http://www....'

                  Compare the size of 40 KB with the size of that statement.
                  It wastes time, money and diskspace.

                  Nicole

                  --
                  »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
                  enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                    Hi All:
                    My two cents .. I monitor a list with just 275 members and people start
                    quitting the list when large attachments come .. or double posting which
                    egroups had problem with for awhile ...
                    some people have to pay for the time they are online ... couple that with a
                    slow connect ... and a large attachment ... and email can become very expensive

                    and .... Jody in my opinion is one of the most helpful people I have met on the
                    net
                    ... he can get alittle frustrated at times ... and still get my vote ... *||:^)

                    Happy Stockdoggin ......

                    Bill *||:>)
                  • Scott Glasgow
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                      I would like to echo this, Kai. Even though I have a cheap 768 kbps
                      connection now, it wasn't always so, and it still irritates the hell out
                      of me for someone to presume to attach files to my email that I didn't
                      specifically request. Bad 'Netiquette, dude. Try to avoid it in the
                      future, please.

                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                        > Seems to me all you have to do is press delete if you don't like the
                        > content. Don't know what the big deal is, Jody.

                        >>It is _very_ unpolite to post such huge mail instead of the more
                        apropriate
                        >>'hey take a look at this great rewiew on http://www....'
                        >>
                        >>Compare the size of 40 KB with the size of that statement.
                        >>It wastes time, money and diskspace.

                        Again I apologize. I didn't know it would be a problem. Time: 30 seconds?
                        Money? 30 seconds of electricity won't kill many. Even me. Disk space. Can
                        be deleted. That's my twisted logic. Sorry. I didn't mean to be a problem. I
                        thought it would be easiest to keep the review in its original format. I
                        thought wrong.
                      • Bill Scott
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                          Hi Sean:

                          I for one did not mean to jump on you *||:^) ... this without exception is
                          the friendliest and most helpful list on the planet ... If you want terse
                          join one of the perl lists or big windows list ... ha ha .... anyway alll
                          in fun .... a wee donny brrrook tae brake up tae monotomy ... aaa lads ...

                          Jody can be a wee bit terse but we luv her anyway .. Heh Heh ...

                          Cheers

                          Bill
                        • Larry Thomas
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                            Hi Bill,

                            At 07:17 AM 7/30/1999 -0700, you wrote:

                            >Jody can be a wee bit terse but we luv her anyway .. Heh Heh ...
                            >
                            >Cheers
                            >
                            >Bill

                            Jody is short for Joseph W. Adair :-)

                            Regards,

                            Larry
                            larryt@...
                          • Cindy
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                              At 11:33 AM 7/30/99 -0500, you wrote:

                              >Jody is short for Joseph W. Adair :-)

                              It DOES??? And here I thought you was a FEMALE!!!  LOL   Just kidding Jody :)

                              Jody totes himself as a hillbilly, be glad he isn't Jody Billy Bob :)   I'm assuming the W. stands for William, hence Billy :)

                              hehehe

                              Cindy is going to go hide in a corner now, so Jody can't find her :)

                              Cindy (cas@...)

                              Mt 5:8 .. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

                            • Sean & Mona Sudol
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                                  At 09:16 PM 7/30/99 , Sean & Mona Sudol wrote:

> [...]

                                  Or the kid from "Family Affair" ;-).

                                  Now to be on topic...

                                  Is there an easier way to save a file to different paths than typing the
                                  path in the Save As dialog (or clicking on the folder icon 'til you get to
                                  the correct path)? Or is this something for the Clip list?

                                  Thanks!
                                  Julie
                                • Larry Thomas
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                                    Hi Julie (or is it July - So darn hot here!)

                                    At 09:32 PM 7/30/1999 -0400, you wrote:
                                    >Now to be on topic...
                                    >
                                    >Is there an easier way to save a file to different paths than typing the
                                    >path in the Save As dialog (or clicking on the folder icon 'til you get to
                                    >the correct path)? Or is this something for the Clip list?
                                    >
                                    >Thanks!
                                    >Julie

                                    Yes there is. Set several of your favorite folders/directories to a
                                    favorites category. You already know that you can open files by clicking
                                    on the file path that way and selecting files from the dialog box. You can
                                    also do a save as if you hold down the control key when clicking on one of
                                    those folder names. Then you will get a save as dialog with your file name
                                    selected as C:\pathname\filename.txt. Just press the right cursor key or
                                    the end key to put NoteTab into edit mode and then backspace over the
                                    filename part and type in the filename you want and click ok to save it.

                                    Regards,

                                    Larry
                                    larryt@...
                                  • Julie G
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 30, 1999
                                      At 09:59 PM 7/30/99 , you wrote:

                                      >Hi Julie (or is it July - So darn hot here!)

                                      Almost August ;-). And a tornado supposedly set down this evening about 40
                                      miles north of us in York, PA!

                                      >At 09:32 PM 7/30/1999 -0400, you wrote:
                                      >>Is there an easier way to save a file to different paths than typing the
                                      >>path in the Save As dialog
                                      >
                                      >Yes there is. Set several of your favorite folders/directories to a
                                      >favorites category. You already know that you can open files by clicking
                                      >on the file path that way and selecting files from the dialog box. You can
                                      >also do a save as if you hold down the control key when clicking on one of
                                      >those folder names. Then you will get a save as dialog with your file name
                                      >selected as C:\pathname\filename.txt. Just press the right cursor key or
                                      >the end key to put NoteTab into edit mode and then backspace over the
                                      >filename part and type in the filename you want and click ok to save it.

                                      Bless ya, Larry! And thank you, Eric! I keep trying to do things I do in
                                      NoteTab in other programs, and for some reason none of them are as
                                      configurable <G>!

                                      Julie
                                    • R.R.
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 31, 1999
                                        Hello,

                                        I tried out NoteTab Lite and liked it so much that I went ahead and purchased
                                        the full version. What I'd like to know is some more details on what these
                                        "Clipbooks" are good for and how they are used.

                                        Thanks in advance,

                                        Ray
                                        malchiv@...
                                        "Sometimes I forget to feed the hamster and the wheel stops spinning" --
                                        The Milkman
                                      • Kay Roath
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 31, 1999
                                          07/31/1999 10:42 AM R.R. wrote

                                          > I tried out NoteTab Lite and liked it so much that I went
                                          > ahead and purchased the full version. What I'd like to
                                          > know is some more details on what these "Clipbooks" are
                                          > good for and how they are used.

                                          Welcome aboard! You're in for a great ride :) There are so
                                          many ways to use clipbooks, it can get confusing but it's
                                          really easy and powerful once you get used to it :)

                                          You don't even need to use the clip programming language
                                          (there's another list for that) to do some neat things.

                                          Open a new document (Ctrl+N or File|New) and type 'test'
                                          then move to the next line and type any text that you
                                          might use frequently. Press Ctrl+A to select everything
                                          you've typed and press Shift+Ctrl+F2. Underneath the clip
                                          that's highlighted, you'll get a new clip called 'test' that
                                          contains your text. If you're busy typing along and want to
                                          add the text from your 'test' clip, you could:

                                          1. Type a space and then test and press F2 - test will be
                                          erased and the text from the clip will be inserted.

                                          2. Press Escape and then type test and Enter - the text
                                          will be inserted at the current cursor position.

                                          3. If the 'test' clip is highlighted, pressing
                                          Ctrl+SpaceBar will insert the text.

                                          4. Clicking on a clip will also execute it but how many
                                          times you click depends on whether you have checked 'Single
                                          Click to Paste' under the Clipbooks tab in Options.

                                          5. On the Tools Menu, there's an option that says
                                          'Auto-replace Mode'. It's a toggle that will put a
                                          checkmark there if it's activated. There are a bunch of
                                          keys that work with auto-replace so it's best if you read
                                          about it in the Help file. Just highlight the Menu option
                                          and press F1.

                                          On anything mentioned above that involves typing the name of
                                          a clip, you don't need to type the whole name. NoteTab
                                          starts at the first clip and searches until it finds one
                                          that matches what you've typed. If you don't have any other
                                          clip that starts with 't', that's all you need to use to get
                                          to the 'test' clip. If you've got a clip named 'temp'
                                          followed by one named 'test', you'd need to type 'tes' to
                                          get to 'test'.

                                          For right now, it's going to be less confusing to use names
                                          that only contain letters and numbers.

                                          If you do web pages, the HTML library that comes with
                                          NoteTab contains these kinds of text insertion clips with a
                                          few enhancements :) The 'Font Size' clip will let you
                                          pick a font size from a list (or just type the size you
                                          want) and then surround any highlighted text with the tags
                                          for font size.

                                          That's really basic and takes lots of explanation because
                                          it's is so flexible. We could write several books on
                                          what you can do with NoteTab & never cover it all :)

                                          Did you have any special needs in mind when you got it?

                                          --- Grandma Kay ---
                                        • Praising Jesus
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 9, 1999
                                            The only problem with that type of reference is the number of times the
                                            link is dead. Frequently references change or the host machine is down and
                                            the whole exercise is a waste of time. The best mechanism is to include the
                                            ASCII text - you can always add a URL for those who want to see both, but
                                            this assure everyone gets the message.

                                            ---Mike