[NTB] Re: Find and Replace (was: two little questions)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 1999
      Hi Bong,

      > 1. Let's say I don't want to see the "Continue from start of
      > document?" message again. How do I make NTB search
      >
      > a) from start of document by default OR

      You can double click on the console in a blank area somewhere which
      will move the cursor to the top of the document.

      > b) down and, if failed, from start of document by default? I
      > couldn't configure the Find dialog box so that it always starts
      > with the option I need.

      Unfortunately we cannot select a default else I surely would
      make it All since 99 out of 100 times that is what I want to do
      and I say that very conservatively. It is probably closer 999
      out of 1000. If I only want one done then I do not use the
      Replace All, but just the single Replace. I also use the Replace
      Dialog as my Find so I can free up one space on my Toolbar for
      another Icon.

      I find the Find $ Replace (including Search Disk) my most used
      tools just about and really like them a lot, but they really
      aggravate me as well for three reasons.

      1. I have to always click on All just about every time I open it.
      2. I despise nag screens asking me if I am sure I want to do it.

      It is faster for me to fix the few mistakes I make in the
      long run than all the time I spend killing nag screens that
      I do not pay any attention to anyway.

      I still end up messing things up because in a lot of my S&R
      work I am reformatting stuff and doing many, many replaces
      like fixing MS's mess of an html converted .doc file. I just
      click without looking because I have memorized the order of
      things. I Save All frequently so when I do mess up I just
      hit Reload All to get me back to the point I was at. My idea
      would be to click it once and be done with it.

      I suppose the best work around is to make a clip and put it at
      the top of your/my most used Libraries so that I will have my one
      clickers on demand. :) See Find for the Options and also Replace.

      3. Eric said he will see what he can do about leaving the cursor
      at the starting point when doing a Replace All. As it is now if
      a hard line break (the token ^p) is in the search criteria all
      the documents searched end up at the end. It is a real pain when
      working with 100s of open documents to get them back to the top
      if need be. I normally can leave all of them alone though, but
      still have to get back to the point I was at. Most the time I
      remember to get the line number if I am not near the top though.
      The document stays in place if there is no hard break in the
      search criteria. I use a clip to get all the documents to and
      fro the start and end of docs, but that takes time when working
      with many documents.

      Happy NoteTabbin',

      http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
      http://www.notetab.com

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5, 1999
        Hi Bong and All,

        Now in fear of Eric adding a nag screen I think a more use
        strategic place to put it would be when the Clip Editor is open
        to nag me about Replace All. One for when the Editor itself is
        being edited because it is not all occurrences in the one Clip,
        but the whole Library. The other I would place to nag *you* :)
        when multiple documents are being searched to replace data. It
        is an easy thing to correct though if you mess up a clipbook by
        just switching Libraries and do not save.

        Yeppers, that is what I would do If I was Eric, but I am not. I
        *know* for sure the only reason he has that nag in there for
        Replace All is because he and Nicole have a conspiracy going on
        that thing just to bug me. Yep, they probably have a bet to see
        when I'll crack up over it and throw a brick at my monitor. <vbg>

        c ya,
        jody

        I can only please one person a day.
        Today is obviously not your day.