[NTB] Re: Speed of notetab light

  • Nicole Simon
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
      [...]

      Please, if you (all, not only Allessandro) answer on posts, cut down your
      qoutes. It is very unpolite to have _one_ line of your text and 114 lines
      qoute.

      Many of us
      a) pay for the time online in telephonecost + ispcost
      b) archive the mails from the list -> much more harddisk needed.

      Nicole

      --
      »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
      enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

    • Tobias Weber
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
        > I´m a student from germany and i recently installed the note tab light

        Yup, me too ;-)

        > and i really like the program. Unfortunately there is one thing that makes

        You're important: I is always capital in English.

        > send it to Note Tab light (with the "send-to-function" in the

        With that feature you start a new instance of ntb which then has to contact the
        one already running to open the file. Just drag'n'drop to ntb in the Taskbar,

        > context-menu) it takes several minutes until the text appears in NTL.

        Uh? Here that only happens with those 2MB log files..need tail for Win32..

        > During this time the system seems to be nearly overloaded, other programs

        Tried to disable Word Wrap?

        > Pentium 200 Mhz machine with 64 MB of RAM and Windows NT 4.0 on it. Is

        Maybe it's related with IPC under NT? With 266MHz and W95 OSR2.5
        everything works fine..

        > misconfiguration while installation?

        If you post that config someone might be able to tell you..

        nice time,
        towb

      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
          Tobias Weber wrote:
          > With that feature you start a new instance of ntb which then has to contact the
          > one already running to open the file. Just drag'n'drop to ntb in the Taskbar,

          wait till ntp is opened again and then drop it.

          > Uh? Here that only happens with those 2MB log files..need tail for Win32..

          Want it? Have it. ;o) [and grep, head, touch, wc, cp, mv....]

          Nicole

          --
          »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
          enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
          Anthony V. Vitale

        • ALeX Julien
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
            Hi again

            Tobias Weber <towb@...> wrote

            > > send it to Note Tab light (with the "send-to-function" in the (context
            menu)

            > With that feature you start a new instance of ntb which then has to
            contac=
            > t the
            > one already running to open the file. Just drag'n'drop to ntb in the
            Taskb=
            > ar,

            A new instance? Only if you have “Allow multiple instances” activated,
            isn't it? I dont, and sending-to is lightning fast if NTL is already
            running, with no new instances started.

            And for speed sake, maybe I'm taking the option of leaving NTL
            running. It's light enough on resources to do so, I guess :).

            ALeX

          • Tobias Weber
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 11, 1999
              > > Uh? Here that only happens with those 2MB log files..need tail for
              > > Win32..
              >
              > Want it? Have it. ;o) [and grep, head, touch, wc, cp, mv....]

              Thanks, but I just checked on djgpp (ww.delorie.com) once again and
              un*xified my Win95. I needed a shell able to redirect the stderr: bash ;-)

              Another thing concerning speed: When you hit Close all Files ntb does just
              this and *then* redraws the doc tabs. But if you open a lot of files the tabs are
              updated each time a new one is added. So if ntb is minimized while opening
              loads of files (I sometimes have around 180 in use..) it takes only half the time!

              Yours,
              towb

              PS Ups..I just wanted to check 'sign message'..Is it bad manners to put in
              those 'PGP follows' blocks?

            • Tobias Weber
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 11, 1999
                > A new instance? Only if you have “Allow multiple instances” activated,
                > isn't it? I dont, and sending-to is lightning fast if NTL is already
                > running, with no new instances started.

                I don't know how it's handled in Windows, but on Un*x the exe would be
                started as always and had to take care of everything else itself. In our case:
                Check Registry; if Multiple Instances is disabled, find a running ntb and tell it
                to read the file.
                What annoys me about drag'n'drop is that ntb brings itself to foreground after
                reading a file. If I want to open several files from different dirs I always have to
                alt+tab to my file manager..pity that Favorites just don't fit my type of work..

                read u,
                towb

              • Kay Roath
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 13, 1999
                  06/11/1999 3:05 PM Tobias Weber wrote

                  > If I want to open several files from different dirs I
                  > always have to alt+tab to my file manager..pity that
                  > Favorites just don't fit my type of work..

                  Try this clip from the SampleCode Library.

                  ;-------start clip
                  H=Open multiple files
                  ; Sample code for displaying a Clip wizard with a File Open
                  ; field "T=O", with possibility of selecting multiple files "S=M"
                  ^!Open ^?[(T=O;S=M;F="Text Files (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")Prompt]
                  ;-----end clip

                  (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")
                  this is the part where you would add the file types you want
                  in the ^!Open line.

                  We can add a repeat prompt if this works for you so you can
                  keep on picking dirs/files from the same clip til you're done.

                  --- Grandma Kay ---
                  http://notetab.kay.net

                • Tobias Weber
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 14, 1999
                    > > If I want to open several files from different dirs I
                    > > always have to alt+tab to my file manager..pity that
                    > > Favorites just don't fit my type of work..
                    >
                    > Try this clip from the SampleCode Library.

                    Hey, I'm not that stupid ;-)
                    I've got some deep dir sructures on my net drives, and do regularly have to
                    edit files hidden somewhere in there. It just ain't automizable (word correct?),
                    the fastest way is drag'n'drop from my file manager. And I want NTP to stay in
                    the background to accept drops instead of popping up after every file. It's
                    almost as enerving as MSIE: If a page is done, the win just hijacks the focus
                    and disturbs me in writing important emails ;-)

                    But I think I'll just stop carping around and go back working with the net's best
                    text editor..read u,
                    towb