[NTB] Re: Speed of notetab light

  • Alessandro Caffarra
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
      From the launch bar of Explorer, my computer starts NoteTab STD in about 2
      seconds, with no files to open.
      I've a PII 450 with 256Mb RAM

      -----Messaggio originale-----
      Da: Grey Cat [mailto:greycat@...]
      Inviato: giovedì 10 giugno 1999 1.28
      A: notetab@egroups.com
      Oggetto: [NTB] Re: Speed of notetab light

      6 seconds to minimized on the tool bar and 1 second to full window. I have
      tips turned off. I've a pentium 133 with 64K and a hot video card. I use
      InoculateIT free virus software (VirusScan wouldn't work with my setup).

      Cat

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
        [...]

        Please, if you (all, not only Allessandro) answer on posts, cut down your
        qoutes. It is very unpolite to have _one_ line of your text and 114 lines
        qoute.

        Many of us
        a) pay for the time online in telephonecost + ispcost
        b) archive the mails from the list -> much more harddisk needed.

        Nicole

        --
        »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
        enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«

      • Tobias Weber
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
          > I´m a student from germany and i recently installed the note tab light

          Yup, me too ;-)

          > and i really like the program. Unfortunately there is one thing that makes

          You're important: I is always capital in English.

          > send it to Note Tab light (with the "send-to-function" in the

          With that feature you start a new instance of ntb which then has to contact the
          one already running to open the file. Just drag'n'drop to ntb in the Taskbar,

          > context-menu) it takes several minutes until the text appears in NTL.

          Uh? Here that only happens with those 2MB log files..need tail for Win32..

          > During this time the system seems to be nearly overloaded, other programs

          Tried to disable Word Wrap?

          > Pentium 200 Mhz machine with 64 MB of RAM and Windows NT 4.0 on it. Is

          Maybe it's related with IPC under NT? With 266MHz and W95 OSR2.5
          everything works fine..

          > misconfiguration while installation?

          If you post that config someone might be able to tell you..

          nice time,
          towb

        • Nicole Simon
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
            Tobias Weber wrote:
            > With that feature you start a new instance of ntb which then has to contact the
            > one already running to open the file. Just drag'n'drop to ntb in the Taskbar,

            wait till ntp is opened again and then drop it.

            > Uh? Here that only happens with those 2MB log files..need tail for Win32..

            Want it? Have it. ;o) [and grep, head, touch, wc, cp, mv....]

            Nicole

            --
            »So, you're searching for alien life forms? Don't you meet
            enough strange people in discussion lists like this one? ;o)«
            Anthony V. Vitale

          • ALeX Julien
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 10, 1999
              Hi again

              Tobias Weber <towb@...> wrote

              > > send it to Note Tab light (with the "send-to-function" in the (context
              menu)

              > With that feature you start a new instance of ntb which then has to
              contac=
              > t the
              > one already running to open the file. Just drag'n'drop to ntb in the
              Taskb=
              > ar,

              A new instance? Only if you have “Allow multiple instances” activated,
              isn't it? I dont, and sending-to is lightning fast if NTL is already
              running, with no new instances started.

              And for speed sake, maybe I'm taking the option of leaving NTL
              running. It's light enough on resources to do so, I guess :).

              ALeX

            • Tobias Weber
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 11, 1999
                > > Uh? Here that only happens with those 2MB log files..need tail for
                > > Win32..
                >
                > Want it? Have it. ;o) [and grep, head, touch, wc, cp, mv....]

                Thanks, but I just checked on djgpp (ww.delorie.com) once again and
                un*xified my Win95. I needed a shell able to redirect the stderr: bash ;-)

                Another thing concerning speed: When you hit Close all Files ntb does just
                this and *then* redraws the doc tabs. But if you open a lot of files the tabs are
                updated each time a new one is added. So if ntb is minimized while opening
                loads of files (I sometimes have around 180 in use..) it takes only half the time!

                Yours,
                towb

                PS Ups..I just wanted to check 'sign message'..Is it bad manners to put in
                those 'PGP follows' blocks?

              • Tobias Weber
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 11, 1999
                  > A new instance? Only if you have “Allow multiple instances” activated,
                  > isn't it? I dont, and sending-to is lightning fast if NTL is already
                  > running, with no new instances started.

                  I don't know how it's handled in Windows, but on Un*x the exe would be
                  started as always and had to take care of everything else itself. In our case:
                  Check Registry; if Multiple Instances is disabled, find a running ntb and tell it
                  to read the file.
                  What annoys me about drag'n'drop is that ntb brings itself to foreground after
                  reading a file. If I want to open several files from different dirs I always have to
                  alt+tab to my file manager..pity that Favorites just don't fit my type of work..

                  read u,
                  towb

                • Kay Roath
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 13, 1999
                    06/11/1999 3:05 PM Tobias Weber wrote

                    > If I want to open several files from different dirs I
                    > always have to alt+tab to my file manager..pity that
                    > Favorites just don't fit my type of work..

                    Try this clip from the SampleCode Library.

                    ;-------start clip
                    H=Open multiple files
                    ; Sample code for displaying a Clip wizard with a File Open
                    ; field "T=O", with possibility of selecting multiple files "S=M"
                    ^!Open ^?[(T=O;S=M;F="Text Files (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")Prompt]
                    ;-----end clip

                    (*.txt;*.ini)|*.txt;*.ini")
                    this is the part where you would add the file types you want
                    in the ^!Open line.

                    We can add a repeat prompt if this works for you so you can
                    keep on picking dirs/files from the same clip til you're done.

                    --- Grandma Kay ---
                    http://notetab.kay.net

                  • Tobias Weber
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 14, 1999
                      > > If I want to open several files from different dirs I
                      > > always have to alt+tab to my file manager..pity that
                      > > Favorites just don't fit my type of work..
                      >
                      > Try this clip from the SampleCode Library.

                      Hey, I'm not that stupid ;-)
                      I've got some deep dir sructures on my net drives, and do regularly have to
                      edit files hidden somewhere in there. It just ain't automizable (word correct?),
                      the fastest way is drag'n'drop from my file manager. And I want NTP to stay in
                      the background to accept drops instead of popping up after every file. It's
                      almost as enerving as MSIE: If a page is done, the win just hijacks the focus
                      and disturbs me in writing important emails ;-)

                      But I think I'll just stop carping around and go back working with the net's best
                      text editor..read u,
                      towb