[NTB] Re: Selecting: Light vs Pro

  • Forrest
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
      From: Carl Swann <cswann@...>
      To: <notetab@egroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, June 07, 1999 12:10 PM
      Subject: [NTB] Re: Selecting: Light vs Pro

      > > Just like a click, but without releasing the button. Click-hold =
      standard
      > > text selection, double and triple click usually work as described above.
      > Is this relevant, Forrest??

      It's as relevant as anything else. I certainly know how how to use alternate
      selection methods, but word- and sentence/line-level granularity control (you
      should pardon the expression) is pretty standard* and is very handy. It was
      a similar issue involving a certain pro-level word processor that caused me
      to investigate NT in the first place...

      (* on some platforms it's completely standard, but Microsoft is Microsoft...)

    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
        Forrest wrote:
        >In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word
        >mode, and triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph.
        >NTPro does neither; at best I can select a single word.

        NoteTab sees a paragraph as a single display line. That
        means you can get different results depending on whether
        word wrap is on or off. If you double click in the blank
        area in front of a screen line, the whole line is
        highlighted. If you double click inside the line, you get
        word highlighting.

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        http://notetab.kay.net

      • Forrest
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
            Hi Kay and All,

            > If you double click in the blank area in front of a screen
            > line, the whole line is highlighted.

            It doesn't work like that for me is in Pro, Std, or Light for me.

            In Pro I get the word and trailing space given "Quick Open Links"
            is off. In Pro, to select the line you can place your mouse
            pointer at the far left and when it turns into a right facing
            arrow click.

            Keeping with the idea of how NoteTab works with paragraphs one
            might fine it easier to select a whole paragraph that is soft
            wrapped by pressing Ctrl+W and click once on the left margin when
            the arrow is right. :)

            > If you double click inside the line, you get word highlighting.

            In Pro, the word and the trailing space. If you hold the shift
            key down, place the cursor at the end of the word before the
            space then only the word is selected.

            Now, double clicking on don't only gets don see it as an ending
            punctuation mark I suppose.

            Happy NoteTabbin',

            http://www.sureword.com/notetab
            NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
            http://www.notetab.com

          • RS
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
              Hi Jody, Forrest, and All,

              Thanks Jody for telling me about the "Tools|Quick Open Links", I couldn't
              find the thing in the Options though I looked twice. Looking more times
              wouldn't have made any difference, I guess. It probably isn't there.

              Some long time ago I must have found that option, and set it to Quick
              Links, which was no doubt the right decision, because after trying the
              double-click-to-select-word and Control+Double-Click to launch links for
              half an hour, I was climbing up the walls.

              Suggestions for Eric:

              NoteTab should differentiate when you click on an URL and launch your
              browser, while if it is not an URL it should just highlight the word.

              Also: yes, and no. No, I cannot select a line by triple-clicking. And yes,
              that should be possible. (I wouldn't mind the Control+Double-click here.)

              Regards,

              RS

              ClipWriter.

              http://home.att.net/~ptools/ClipWriter/cw.htm

              http://home.att.net/~ptools/main/index.htm

            • Kay Roath
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                06/07/1999 3:17 PM Forrest wrote

                Like what it does with Shift+Ctrl+Right Arrow but you want
                to use the mouse?

                --- Grandma Kay ---
                http://notetab.kay.net