[NTB] Selecting: Light vs Pro

  • Forrest
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 1999
      In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word mode, and
      triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph. NTPro does neither; at
      best I can select a single word.

      Have I got a faulty installation or is this just the way things are in NTP?

    • RS
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 1999
        Hi Forrest,

        At 03:23 PM 06/05/99 -0400, you wrote:
        >In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word mode, and
        >triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph. NTPro does neither; at
        >best I can select a single word.
        >
        >Have I got a faulty installation or is this just the way things are in NTP?

        Here, both in NTP and NTL, I get an "Open Link in Browser" box with the
        clicked word selected on it. Clicking the combo, there's a list of URLs
        which might be from one of my browsers.

        I don't know what you mean by "click-and-hold", but holding either the Ctrl
        or the Shift keys doesn't change the result.

        I'd certainly like to be able to select words or phrases by double
        clicking. Would there be an option hidden somewhere? Other users might have
        an answer, let's wait and see.

        Regards,

        RS

        ClipWriter.

        http://home.att.net/~ptools/ClipWriter/cw.htm

        http://home.att.net/~ptools/main/index.htm

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 1999
          Hi Forrest & RS,

          >> In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word mode,
          >> and triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph. NTPro
          >> does neither; at best I can select a single word.

          I can only suspect the reason for that is the input control
          differences used in NoteTab Pro and Standard/Light if it is not
          an oversight. It works as you say in Std/Light and also Pro.

          > Here, both in NTP and NTL, I get an "Open Link in Browser" box
          > with the clicked word selected on it. Clicking the combo,
          > there's a list of URLs which might be from one of my browsers.

          You need to uncheck "Open Quick Links" under Tools for it to work.
          You will still be able to link to eMail addresses and urls, but
          will have to learn to hold the Ctrl key down when you do it.

          Happy NoteTabbin',

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab
          NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro.....
          http://www.notetab.com

        • RS
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 1999
            Hi Jody,

            At 05:29 PM 06/05/99 -0500, you wrote:

            >You need to uncheck "Open Quick Links" under Tools for it to work.
            >You will still be able to link to eMail addresses and urls, but
            >will have to learn to hold the Ctrl key down when you do it.

            Thanks! I knew you'd knew it. -:)

            And...where is that?

            Regards,

            RS

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 1999
              Hi RS,

              >>You need to uncheck "Open Quick Links" under Tools for it to work.
              >Thanks! I knew you'd knew it. -:)

              I wish I know'd more of it! ;)

              >And...where is that?

              I have no idea where "Open Quick Links" is, but you can find "Quick
              Open Links" on the Menubar under Tools. 8?D

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                > >In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word mode, and
                > >triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph. NTPro does neither; at
                > >best I can select a single word.
                > I don't know what you mean by "click-and-hold", but holding either the Ctrl
                > or the Shift keys doesn't change the result.

                Just like a click, but without releasing the button. Click-hold = standard
                text selection, double and triple click usually work as described above.

                I guess I'll have to buy NTStandard also and switch back and forth...

              • Carl Swann
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                  Forrest wrote:

                  > > >In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word mode, and
                  > > >triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph. NTPro does neither; at
                  > > >best I can select a single word.
                  > > I don't know what you mean by "click-and-hold", but holding either the Ctrl
                  > > or the Shift keys doesn't change the result.
                  >
                  > Just like a click, but without releasing the button. Click-hold = standard
                  > text selection, double and triple click usually work as described above.

                  Is this relevant, Forrest?? In NTP, use the mouse to click the
                  start-point of the block of text you wish to highlight; then, while
                  holding down Control+Shift, use the mouse to click on the end-point of
                  your desired text block. That latter click will highlight the entire
                  block for you.

                  HTH...

                  oOOo-(_)-oOOo

                • Forrest
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                      Forrest wrote:
                      >In NTLight, double-click-and-hold enters select-by-word
                      >mode, and triple-click-and-hold enters select-by-paragraph.
                      >NTPro does neither; at best I can select a single word.

                      NoteTab sees a paragraph as a single display line. That
                      means you can get different results depending on whether
                      word wrap is on or off. If you double click in the blank
                      area in front of a screen line, the whole line is
                      highlighted. If you double click inside the line, you get
                      word highlighting.

                      --- Grandma Kay ---
                      http://notetab.kay.net

                    • Forrest
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                          Hi Kay and All,

                          > If you double click in the blank area in front of a screen
                          > line, the whole line is highlighted.

                          It doesn't work like that for me is in Pro, Std, or Light for me.

                          In Pro I get the word and trailing space given "Quick Open Links"
                          is off. In Pro, to select the line you can place your mouse
                          pointer at the far left and when it turns into a right facing
                          arrow click.

                          Keeping with the idea of how NoteTab works with paragraphs one
                          might fine it easier to select a whole paragraph that is soft
                          wrapped by pressing Ctrl+W and click once on the left margin when
                          the arrow is right. :)

                          > If you double click inside the line, you get word highlighting.

                          In Pro, the word and the trailing space. If you hold the shift
                          key down, place the cursor at the end of the word before the
                          space then only the word is selected.

                          Now, double clicking on don't only gets don see it as an ending
                          punctuation mark I suppose.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                            Hi Jody, Forrest, and All,

                            Thanks Jody for telling me about the "Tools|Quick Open Links", I couldn't
                            find the thing in the Options though I looked twice. Looking more times
                            wouldn't have made any difference, I guess. It probably isn't there.

                            Some long time ago I must have found that option, and set it to Quick
                            Links, which was no doubt the right decision, because after trying the
                            double-click-to-select-word and Control+Double-Click to launch links for
                            half an hour, I was climbing up the walls.

                            Suggestions for Eric:

                            NoteTab should differentiate when you click on an URL and launch your
                            browser, while if it is not an URL it should just highlight the word.

                            Also: yes, and no. No, I cannot select a line by triple-clicking. And yes,
                            that should be possible. (I wouldn't mind the Control+Double-click here.)

                            Regards,

                            RS

                            ClipWriter.

                            http://home.att.net/~ptools/ClipWriter/cw.htm

                            http://home.att.net/~ptools/main/index.htm

                          • Kay Roath
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 7, 1999
                              06/07/1999 3:17 PM Forrest wrote

                              Like what it does with Shift+Ctrl+Right Arrow but you want
                              to use the mouse?

                              --- Grandma Kay ---
                              http://notetab.kay.net