[NTB] Fonts

  • ted orr
    Message 1 of 9 , May 14 5:58 AM
      Hello,
      I am starting to use notetab quite a bit since I have some free time. It
      is a wonderful program. Could someone please tell me how to transfer
      fonts from my hard driveĀ  to the fonts folder in Notetab.
      Thanks
      Ted Orr

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/notetab
    • Donna Bluemink
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
        Dear Jody, It is not readily evident just how to add a new font as there is
        no folder for the fonts. Is the trial version more limited than the "bought"
        version? DEB
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi Donna,

          >Dear Jody, It is not readily evident just how to add a new font
          >as there is no folder for the fonts. Is the trial version more
          >limited than the "bought" version? DEB

          Fonts go with your other fonts. Try:

          C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ for Win95/98. I assume it is the same for other
          Windows versions, or close to it.

          No, except for a dictionary and thesaurus comes with the
          registered version.

        • Donna Bluemink
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
            Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
            directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried adding
            it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went to the
            Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it to. DEB

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
              Hi Donna,

              If you downloaded a file from MS with the Georgia font in it or a
              package so to speak with a few files in it, you should just hav3e
              to double click on the file and it should ask if you want to
              install the fonts. (For some reason "core fonts" is coming to
              mind, but do not worry about it if it does not ring a bell.)

              Fonts do not go in NoteTab's folder structure. NoteTab just
              lists all the fonts that Pro or Std/Light uses found in the
              Windows Fonts folder.

              The following is some help and off topic about how to read drive
              paths. I hope I made it simple enough and clear enough for you.
              If you need to reply to it, please post on the NoteTab Off-Topic
              List. The sign-up eMail address is in my sigline.

              When you see a disk path like C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\ (note the letter
              in front and the backslashes) it is sort of like an address. That
              is, it is a specific location on your hard drive. My guess is
              you only have an A:\, C:\, and probably a D:\ drive.

              A:\ is your floppy drive.
              C:\ is your main drive with your programs and files for Windows
              to be run.
              D:\ is your CD drive that you insert CD-ROMs into. The CD-ROM
              drive will increase in the alphabet if you section off your C:\
              drive into smaller sections so to speak known as partitions.
              (They can be compared to the partitions used in large offices to
              make sections/dividers for certain employees.)

              The text you see after the drive designation is called a
              directory (or folder) in most cases, but the text may be a file
              in what is called the root directory, having no directories. For
              example: C:\FRUNLOG.TXT.

              You read the disk path front left to right. Think of it as a
              file system or an outline. Your C:\ drive has a lot of
              directories on it. They are listed in alphabetical order. Each
              directory can have several sub-directories.

              So, given the drive path, "C:\WINDOWS\FONTS\," you go into
              Windows Explorer or My Computer and locate your C:\ drive. Click
              on it and depending on your configuration you will see a number
              of folders listed, possibly on the right side, a new window might
              pop up, or you will see a bunch of folders and a few files after
              them. You should see a folder called Windows. Click on it
              (noting that it is the first folder in the path you are going
              to). When the Windows folder opens, look for the Fonts folder.
              That is where your fonts reside. If I remember correctly Win95
              also had a few fonts in the Windows folder.

              >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no
              >font directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense.
              >I tried adding it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't
              >work. Next I went to the Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there
              >is no font list to add it to. DEB

              Happy Topics,
              Jody

              The NoteTab Off-Topic List
            • Rick Friedline
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2001
                At 04:56 PM 11/1/01, Donna Bluemink wrote:

                >Jody, I want to add Georgia font to Note Tab Pro but there is no font
                >directory in Note Tab Pro files. Sorry I am a little dense. I tried
                >adding
                >it to the list inside Note Tab Pro but that didn't work. Next I went
                >to the
                >Note Tab Pro file in my drive and there is no font list to add it
                >to. DEB

                Hi Donna,

                I'm not Jody, but ... you can only use fixed-width fonts in Pro.
                Georgia is a proportional width font, so it will not be available under
                choices in Document|Font.

                I use Andale Mono as my font for Pro.

                NTLight CAN use proportional fonts - I know, it sounds like a
                contradiction.

                HTH

                Rick

              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                  Hi Donna,

                  > > >Is it possible to add other fixed fonts to Note Tab pro. I'm
                  > > >using the trial version at the moment and do not like the font
                  > > >selection. DEB
                  > >
                  > > If it is a true fixed width font, yes, you can. Just add it where
                  > > your other fixed fonts are at. You might have to restart NoteTab.

                  In your desire to use Georgia, you missed this VITAL bit in Jody's
                  response!

                  The Georgia font that I know is plainly not a "true fixed width font".
                  So you are probably asking the impossible.

                  The current version of NOTETAB PRO ONLY WORKS WITH FIXED WIDTH FONTS.

                  If you have the font installed in Windows and it is fixed width then
                  it will show up as available to NOTETAB PRO.

                  Greg
                • Donna Bluemink
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                    Rick, Your answer said what I needed to know. Georgia font works best on my
                    online site but I was never told it was not fixed, just that it workd better
                    than all the others that I tried from Word Perfect's selection. Thanks. DEB

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2001
                      Hi Donna,

                      >Georgia font works best on my online site but I was never told it
                      >was not fixed, just that it workd better than all the others that
                      >I tried from Word Perfect's selection.

                      Variable width fonts will work in all (or at least most) places
                      in NoteTab Pro except the document edit window. Pro will also
                      print in variable width fonts. I suggest that you check to see
                      if the Georgia font is a standard issue with Windows. If not,
                      and you use it on your web pages, it may be best to reconsider
                      unless you just want to do it for yourself and the people that
                      happen to have it installed on their computer. Browsers use the
                      fonts from the visitors computer to view the web page. If the
                      font is not installed, then the page will be displayed in
                      whatever the default font is. In other words, your page that you
                      view may look different or perhaps a bit messed up if you do not
                      use a standard font. I took these out of NoteTab's HTML | Font
                      Clip. (Thanks Greg. ;)

                      Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif
                      Times New Roman, Times, Serif
                      Courier New, Courier
                      Wingding, Symbol
                      Comic Sans MS
                      Impact
                      Lucida
                      Palatino
                      Verdana

                      The HTML discussion list address is in my signature line if you
                      are interested in joining it.

                      Happy HTML'n!

                      The NoteTab and Html List...