[NTB] Re: bare linefeeds

  • Kay Roath
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 1999
      5/4/1999 12:08 PM Kai wrote

      > I think I have a related problem with NTP. Often when I
      > print a file in which I have wordwrap on, some paragraphs
      > do not print, except for the first line. It's as though
      > the paragraph runs out past the right margin out into
      > infinity and doesn't get printed.

      In the Margins section of the Print dialog, check Word Wrap.
      When you have Word Wrap on in NoteTab, it doesn't change
      your file structure. You still have long lines that NoteTab
      displays as if they fit your wrap criteria but it's only an
      illusion :) If you want the lines to actually be the way
      you're viewing them with word wrap on, you need to split
      them. That physically changes the file. When you're in the
      Print area, you're working with the file the way it really
      is rather than the way you chose to view it.

      --- Grandma Kay ---
      http://notetab.kay.net

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/notetab
    • Larry Thomas
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 1999
        Hi Bob,

        Below is a repeat of Kay's response which I think is the best. She posted
        this to the list on 5/4/99 at 1:21 p.m.

        5/4/1999 11:53 AM Bob Timm wrote

        > A couple of times, I've saved a batch of files and then
        > encountered an error when trying to ftp them into my web
        > server. The program tells me that it has found x number of
        > "bare linefeeds" and the file does not trasnfer.

        In the Options|Documents tab, there are 3 different way of
        saving files. DOS/Windows uses a carriage return/line feed
        combination. Make sure it's selected. Also, when you right
        click on a file tab, there's an Option for Save Format.
        Dos/Windows & ANSI should be marked. It would be a good
        idea to check that when working with file that you've had
        problems with in the past. You might need to do a Save As
        on those - I'm not sure about that. If you've been using
        DOS/Windows file format all along, it could be a setting in
        your ftp program that's stripping carriage returns when the
        file is sent. Make sure you transfer text files in ASCII
        mode.

        In NoteTab, you can search for a bare line feed using ^L.

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        http://notetab.kay.net

        Regards,

        Larry
        larryt@...

        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 1999
          5/7/1999 2:59 PM Larry Thomas wrote
          > Below is a repeat of Kay's response....

          You're such a sweetheart! I take it you save all the
          messages on the list. I've been jumping through hoops
          trying to find a way to archive messages on removeable media
          since my hard drive space is limited. TheBat doesn't handle
          it well :( Do you just have a really large c: drive or know
          some secrets to archiving?

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/notetab