[NTB] Re: Drag/Drop Text

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29, 1999
      Hi Jody,

      >I've looked all over and cannot find a way to
      >turn off the drag/drop of text. Can it be done?

      No.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.6 available from

    • Kay Roath
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 29, 1999
        3/28/1999 11:06 PM Jody wrote
        > I've looked all over and cannot find a way to
        > turn off the drag/drop of text. Can it be done?

        I started with Std because I didn't think I could do without
        drag & drop (1 reason, anyway) but after adjusting to Pro
        (because of the betas), I forget that it's even there until
        I drag & drop things I didn't mean to drag & drop :( I
        don't think there is a way to turn it off. Thank Goodness
        for Undo!

        --- Grandma Kay ---
        http://notetab.kay.net

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 1999
          Hi Eric and Kay,

          >>I've looked all over and cannot find a way to
          >>turn off the drag/drop of text. Can it be done?

          Eric firmly answered:
          >No.

          That sounds like I can't look forward to a way to turn it
          off anywhere in the near future if at all.

          Grandma wrote:
          >Thank Goodness for Undo!

          Well yeah, but what do you do after you wear all the paint
          off the undo button, then you know it is the button with no
          paint on it, but then you wear it down so bad that the
          spring to bring it back to the normal un-operated position
          pops out and hits you in the eye? :)

          Oh well, I guess I will just have to learn to live with it.
          Sure am glad I don't have a remote mouse though else I would
          have been looking for it out in the woods at 2:30 AM. <g>
          Still with all the goodies in 4.6 the aggravation drag/drop
          causes me is well worth it - thanks Eric.

          Happy NoteTabbin',

          http://www.sureword.com/notetab/
          NoteTab Home Page - Go Pro......
          http://www.notetab.com

        • Eric G.V. Fookes
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 1999
            Hi Jody,

            >>>I've looked all over and cannot find a way to
            >>>turn off the drag/drop of text. Can it be done?
            >
            >Eric firmly answered:
            >>No.

            <g>

            >That sounds like I can't look forward to a way to turn it
            >off anywhere in the near future if at all.

            No, I don't think I will add an option for this, sorry. As I mentioned in
            the past, adding too many options slows down program loading, uses more
            system resources, and generally makes a program more difficult to learn.

            If it seemed like an essential option, or that NoteTab would be one of the
            rare in its class not to have it, then I would definitely add it. Do you
            know many programs that let you turn drag-and-drop editing off?

            Regards,
            Eric Fookes
            -----------
            NoteTab v4.6 available from

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 1999
              Hi Eric,

              >Do you know many programs that let you turn drag-and-drop editing off?

              No, you can rest your case. However, I will be sure to let you know if
              I find the a competitor does. :) I do 95% of any of my select/copy/cut
              in NoteTab, so the others aren't as much of a nuisance. Eudora seems to
              be less sensitive, but that just may be that I don't edit as much in it
              so it does not show up as often.

              I am happy for those though that requested it for a long time now have
              it finally. I really gave it an honest try out before even looking for
              a way to turn it off.

              Bye for now,
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.sureword.com/sojourner/
              http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611/
              http://www.sureword.com/notetab/

            • Wayne VanWeerthuizen
              Message 6 of 8 , May 1 6:13 PM
                Jody wrote (1999 Mar 29):
                >I've looked all over and cannot find a way to
                >turn off the drag/drop of text. Can it be done?

                Eric answered:

                Jody wrote again:
                >No, you can rest your case. However, I will be sure to let you know if
                >I find the a competitor does. :) I do 95% of any of my select/copy/cut
                >in NoteTab, so the others aren't as much of a nuisance. Eudora seems to
                >be less sensitive, but that just may be that I don't edit as much in it
                >so it does not show up as often.
                >
                >I am happy for those though that requested it for a long time now have
                >it finally. I really gave it an honest try out before even looking for
                >a way to turn it off.

                I was skeptical when the drag-and-drop for NoteTab Pro was first being
                discussed, and I advised against adding it.

                I just wanted to follow up and admit that I've been catching myself
                using it more and more lately. I think I am starting to like the drag
                and drop feature.

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/notetab
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1 9:30 PM
                  Hi Wayne and All,

                  > I think I am starting to like the drag and drop feature.

                  I've used it a few times and starting to get the hang of
                  it not messing me up when I do not want it.

                  Bye for now,
                  Jody Adair
                  Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                  http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                  http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                  http://www.sureword.com/notetab

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/group/notetab
                • David Park
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2 7:43 AM
                    > From: Jody [mailto:KJB1611@...]
                    > Hi Wayne and All,
                    >
                    > > I think I am starting to like the drag and drop feature.
                    >
                    > I've used it a few times and starting to get the hang of
                    > it not messing me up when I do not want it.

                    One thing that I found disconcerting about the new drag and drop
                    feature was the changing cursor icon. Sometimes I will select text
                    (to copy it, for example) and then single-click on the selected text
                    to unselect it. In the latest version of NoteTab, the cursor changes
                    to the drag icon as soon as the mouse button is pressed, so it quickly
                    changes and then changes back to an arrow during a single-click. In
                    Word 97, there is about a half-second delay before the cursor changes,
                    so that it doesn't change at all during a quick click.

                    I'm not sure if the description above makes sense, but maybe the
                    cursor change could be delayed in NoteTab. Another option would be to
                    not change the cursor until the text starts being dragged.

                    Anyway, I like the drag/drop feature, and I'm glad it is now available
                    in NoteTab Pro.

                    David Park
                    dpark@...
                    http://www.sazan.net/