[NTB] Redundant prompt and variable in a clip

  • Hi all, I m new to NoteTab (downloaded it Friday) and building clips. I ve been playing around with a clip that prompts me for information, increments one
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 1:36 PM
      Hi all,

      I'm new to NoteTab (downloaded it Friday) and building clips. I've
      been playing around with a clip that prompts me for information,
      increments one piece of that information, and builds a file. I've
      built a loop, and everything works fine except for one part. The clip
      follows:

      H="Degrow LOOP2"
      ^!Jump TEXT_END
      :Start
      ^!Continue Degrow a line card?

      rmv:islulc=^?{SM}-^?{ISLU}-^?{LGC}-^?{Line card};
      rcv:apptext!
      FORM=22v7&"CHG",SM=^?{SM},UNIT=ISLU,ISLU=^?{ISLU},LGC=^?{LGC}!

      ^!SET %LCPOS%=^?{Line card}
      ^!Inc %LCPOS%
      SET="CARD.EQSTAT[^%LCPOS%]"&"G"!
      CHG!
      END;

      ^!Goto Start

      The last piece of info filled in the clip is actually information
      given from a prompt plus one. The only way I could think of doing
      that automatically is setting a variable with that information, and
      then incrementing the variable. It works except when going through
      the prompts it asks for the same information (Line card) twice. I
      want it to use the information from the first time it asked.

      It's a minor detail, but it bothers me. Is there a way around this
      that I've missed? I'm using NoteTab Light (Trial Mode) and Win98.

      Thank you for any suggestions.

      Lorraine

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 1:58 PM
        Hi Lorraine,

        In the future, please post Clips to the NoteTab Clips List. This
        time you only get 3 lashes across the eyeball with a wet noodle
        instead of 99. :)

        >It works except when going through the prompts it asks for the
        >same information (Line card) twice. I want it to use the
        >information from the first time it asked.

        You have to use sqaure brackets for the. You can mix the, but
        the square ones will open up before the clip actually runs and
        the curley ones when the script gets to them while running.

        >rmv:islulc=^?[SM]-^?[ISLU]-^?[LGC]-^?{Line card};
        >rcv:apptext!
        >FORM=22v7&"CHG",SM=^?[SM],UNIT=ISLU,ISLU=^?[ISLU],LGC=^?[LGC]!

        Good going for just starting out! :)

        Happy NoteTabbin',
        Jody Adair

        The NoteTabbers' Assistant Page
        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/

      • ... Oops. Sorry. I am assuming by Clips List, that you mean the Advanced list? That s the only other choice of lists that I ve found. When reading the list
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 2:41 PM
          On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:58:20 -0600, you wrote:

          >In the future, please post Clips to the NoteTab Clips List. This
          >time you only get 3 lashes across the eyeball with a wet noodle
          >instead of 99. :)

          Oops. Sorry. I am assuming by Clips List, that you mean the Advanced
          list? That's the only other choice of lists that I've found. When
          reading the list descriptions, and posts from the past, I thought this
          is where I wanted to be. Bad judgement on my part. However, I do
          kind of like wet noodle lashes, so it's not all bad. :-)

          >You have to use sqaure brackets for the. You can mix the, but
          >the square ones will open up before the clip actually runs and
          >the curley ones when the script gets to them while running.

          Square brackets didn't work at all. It would run through the loop the
          first time, but never come back and ask for information for the next
          one. It would just keep building the same set of lines over and over
          with the same set of information. I would never be prompted to input
          again. I'm trying to pattern this like the address list in the
          Samples.clb except that I'm using one piece of info twice and I don't
          want it to ask me twice. I'm getting the feeling that it's not
          possible... at least not this late in the day. :-)

          >Good going for just starting out! :)

          Thanks... I cheated. I copied (or tried to) from the samples.

          Lorraine

        • Kay Roath
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1 3:47 PM
            3/1/1999 4:41 PM L╡ wrote
            > On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 15:58:20 -0600, you wrote:

            >>You have to use sqaure brackets for the. You can mix the, but
            >>the square ones will open up before the clip actually runs and
            >>the curley ones when the script gets to them while running.

            > Square brackets didn't work at all. It would run through the loop the
            > first time, but never come back and ask for information for the next
            > one. It would just keep building the same set of lines over and over
            > with the same set of information. I would never be prompted to input
            > again. I'm trying to pattern this like the address list in the
            > Samples.clb except that I'm using one piece of info twice and I don't
            > want it to ask me twice. I'm getting the feeling that it's not
            > possible... at least not this late in the day. :-)

            ^!SET %LCPOS%=^?{Line card}
            Move this line to the top of your clip (above the :Start
            loop)

            It doesn't matter whether it has square brackets or curly
            braces. You need to keep the curly braces in the wizards
            inside the loop so they'll execute each time through (square
            ones are gathered and done at the beginning of a clip &
            curly ones when you reach the line they're on).

            Hey Jody - If you posted the [Clip] message here, I missed
            it. Thought it was rather strange that it was posted to the
            [Clip] group instead of here. Do I get a wet noodle if
            there's only one clip instruction in my message?

            --- Grandma Kay ---
            http://notetab.kay.net

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1 4:24 PM
              Hi L²,

              >Oops. Sorry.
              >However, I do kind of like wet noodle lashes, so it's not all bad. :-)

              No problem. <g> See the next post explaining things that Grandma
              Kay missed with Wayne's correction. :)

              >Square brackets didn't work at all. It would run through the loop the
              >first time, but never come back and ask for information for the next
              >one.

              Well, actually, it did just what it was suppose to. <g>
              That's why I mentioned to mix the clips and you saw
              Granny's remedy as well.

              Please sign up on the clips list for further discussion
              on this - thanks!

              >Thanks... I cheated. I copied (or tried to) from the samples.

              That's how a lot of us learn. That is how I learned. A
              picture is worth a million words to me. A method I use is
              start changing things to see what the effects.