[NTB] Re: NoteTab Pro 4.6 (Public Beta #7)

  • Harder, Paul
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
      Okay, I take your point. Perhaps the solution is to let any clb serve as
      the autocorrect clb, but have the user explicitly designate which one that
      shall be -- so there's no need for the currently open clb to be the one from
      which you do autocorrect. This way, you could even apply autocorrect (or
      maybe autocomplete is better) within the clip editor!

      PH

    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
        Harder, Paul wrote:
        > Okay, I take your point. Perhaps the solution is to let any clb serve as
        > the autocorrect clb, but have the user explicitly designate which one that
        > shall be -- so there's no need for the currently open clb to be the one from
        > which you do autocorrect. This way, you could even apply autocorrect (or
        > maybe autocomplete is better) within the clip editor!

        Jap. ;o)

        Eric, please don't think I dislike it - I have asked for it. And I know
        that most of the normal users will never have a problem with this. But
        there are some, who will... ;o)

        It does not have to be a clb; but I see the point that it may be easier for
        some people to have it as a clb.

        Somewhere, deeeep in my folders I have a ready made 'export your acl file'
        from winword; I go searching for it. ;)
        Nicole

        --
        Dust Puppy: »Well. It is a long story ...
        but every saga has a beginning.«

      • Harder, Paul
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999

          Nicole, I think Eric was wise to use a clb for this. Not only does it let
          him implement a new capability by merely tweaking an existing one (without
          adding a large quantitiy of new code and feature bloat), it also allows him
          to use the full capabilities of that existing feature. Any autocomplete
          clip has all the vast capabilities that an imaginative user can program into
          any clip!

          If I want, I could even program a clip so that, if I ever type the word
          "nuke" followed by a space, my entire hard drive would then self destruct!
          Uh, maybe I won't go there... <grin>

          PH

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
            Hi Paul, Nicole, and Eric,

            >Okay, I take your point. Perhaps the solution is to let any clb
            >serve as the autocorrect clb, but have the user explicitly
            >designate which one that shall be -- so there's no need for the
            >currently open clb to be the one from which you do autocorrect.

            Perhaps Eric can do something with FarClip for it. I still cannot
            edit a clip with AutoCorrect on. When I hit one of the chacters to
            execute it my commnad gets erased. No big deal to turn it off while
            in Edit clip mode though it is not too user friendly.

            c ya,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

          • Eric G.V. Fookes
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
              Hi Nicole,

              > It is great, execpt.. I need to have a cliplibrary open to use it :(
              >
              > Based on my experience in Winword, I would find this more usefull if I had
              > a file which I can choose to be my 'autocorrect'-file.

              I agree to a certain extent. But the new auto-replace feature can do a lot more
              than WinWord's autocorrect system. NoteTab can handle tasks like autocomplete
              using Clip code and Wizards. Furthermore, you can have many libraries
              configured to provide auto-replace. The advantage with the system I used is
              that it is a lot more flexible than autocorrect in WinWord, adds very little
              bloat to NoteTab, and is much more powerful.

              > I know, which are my faults and I have deleted the whole winword file and
              > replaced it with the few words I always mispell. If the feature would only
              > be available through the clb, it would be no great enhancement for _me_,
              > because I know my clipbooks and use f2 frequently.

              It's true it is less convenient for people who work intensively with
              traditional Clipbook libraries. I suppose that one suggestion I can make is
              that you could create a Clip that does a search and replace for those few words
              that you always misspell. So your document would be revised through a single
              click of the mouse.

              > I would prefer an option for 'the autocorrectfile' to be set either through
              > options or even a clipcommand; so we could choose what to take as our
              > clipfile.

              Maybe in NoteTab Gold... <g>

              > I find it very dangerous to be clip-based; think of a letter in which you
              > write 'don't use this format' and you have a clipfile open in which you
              > have a format c:\ clip. :o(

              I don't understand what you mean by this. The auto-replace feature is only
              activated if a library is defined as such, or if you force it into auto-replace
              mode through the corresponding menu command.

              Regards,
              Eric Fookes
              -----------
              NoteTab v4.52 available from

            • Nicole Simon
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                Hi list,

                > I agree to a certain extent. But the new auto-replace feature can do a lot more
                > than WinWord's autocorrect system.

                Yes. But in this case, I just want my beloved autocorrect. And no, that's
                not just for the little selling mistakes. I use to have several things in
                Winword, like my address, my bankaccount, special webpages etc. And, oh
                yes, my name. I'm always writing Nciole or Nciole Ismon etc.

                > configured to provide auto-replace. The advantage with the system I used is
                > that it is a lot more flexible than autocorrect in WinWord, adds very little
                > bloat to NoteTab, and is much more powerful.

                This is also important.

                > traditional Clipbook libraries. I suppose that one suggestion I can make is
                > that you could create a Clip that does a search and replace for those few words
                > that you always misspell. So your document would be revised through a single
                > click of the mouse.

                No. The charme of autocorrect is that it works in the background. Once my
                list is defined, I will not even take notice of it working there. [a
                colleague of mine is named Weng. I was wondering, why there was always Fr.
                Wenig (Mrs. not so much) in my protocolls till I threw out the
                autocorrectentry...]

                > Maybe in NoteTab Gold... <g>

                Ok, would be ok with me. When do we get it? :o)

                Nicole

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                  Hi Jody,

                  > Perhaps Eric can do something with FarClip for it. I still cannot
                  > edit a clip with AutoCorrect on. When I hit one of the chacters to
                  > execute it my commnad gets erased. No big deal to turn it off while
                  > in Edit clip mode though it is not too user friendly.

                  Auto-replace is disabled while you are in the Clip editor. Nothing should
                  happen.

                  Regards,
                  Eric Fookes
                  -----------
                  NoteTab v4.52 available from

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                    Hi Eric,

                    >Auto-replace is disabled while you are in the Clip editor. Nothing should
                    >happen.

                    I must have been in an earlier version - downloaded
                    again and it works now as you say kind sir. :)

                    Später,
                    Jody Adair

                    I can only please one person a day.
                    Today is obviously not your day.