[NTB] NoteTab Pro 4.6 (Public Beta #7)

  • Eric G.V. Fookes
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
      Hi all,

      I have to apologize, but I just couldn't resist... I've added another
      really neat feature to NoteTab 4.6. It's an Auto-Replace function (or
      AutoCorrect, or AutoComplete, or whatever you call it) based on the
      Clipbook. I hope you will find it useful. As usual, you'll find details of
      the latest features in the accompanying WhatsNew.txt file.

      You can download NoteTab Pro beta #7 from the following link...

      NoteTab Pro (size 891'622 bytes):
      http://www.notetab.ch/temp/ntp46-7.zip

      Reminder:
      Please note that this is a date-limited beta version. Do not distribute it
      or make it available to others in any way over the Internet or other
      distribution channels. Make frequent backups if you intend to use this
      program on important files. Beta testing is only recommended for
      experienced users. Clip programmers can take a look at the "Examples4.6"
      library to see some of the latest Clipbook features demonstrated. Please
      send eventual bug reports to <beta@...>.

      Feedback appreciated.

      Regards,
      Eric Fookes
      -----------
      NoteTab v4.52 available from

    • Nicole Simon
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
        Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:
        > Clipbook. I hope you will find it useful. As usual, you'll find details of
        > the latest features in the accompanying WhatsNew.txt file.

        It is great, execpt.. I need to have a cliplibrary open to use it :(

        Based on my experience in Winword, I would find this more usefull if I had
        a file which I can choose to be my 'autocorrect'-file.

        I know, which are my faults and I have deleted the whole winword file and
        replaced it with the few words I always mispell. If the feature would only
        be available through the clb, it would be no great enhancement for _me_,
        because I know my clipbooks and use f2 frequently.

        I would prefer an option for 'the autocorrectfile' to be set either through
        options or even a clipcommand; so we could choose what to take as our
        clipfile.

        I find it very dangerous to be clip-based; think of a letter in which you
        write 'don't use this format' and you have a clipfile open in which you
        have a format c:\ clip. :o(

        just my to cents
        Nicole

        --
        Dust Puppy: »Well. It is a long story ...
        but every saga has a beginning.«

      • Nicole Simon
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
          Nicole Simon wrote:
          > Eric G.V. Fookes wrote:
          > > Clipbook. I hope you will find it useful. As usual, you'll find details of
          > > the latest features in the accompanying WhatsNew.txt file.

          I forgot: Eric, I think you can start a new section on the librarypage for
          this feature. :o)

          Nicole

          --
          Dust Puppy: »Well. It is a long story ...
          but every saga has a beginning.«
          Greg: »You waited for days to use that line, didn't you.«
          User friendly (www.userfriendly.org) - 1998-11-27

        • Harder, Paul
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999

            Actually, you don't have to have a cliplibrary open, merely selected. If
            the last cliplibrary you used is the one you want, and if it's not already
            selected, just press the Esc key twice.

          • Nicole Simon
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
              Harder, Paul wrote:
              > Actually, you don't have to have a cliplibrary open, merely selected. If
              > the last cliplibrary you used is the one you want, and if it's not already
              > selected, just press the Esc key twice.

              I'm sorry for not being precise. I do have an clipbook open _all_ the time.
              But I don't have *the one* clb, I have several. To be precise: The first 10
              clbs are there to be accessed fast via shortcuts with alt+number; the
              others are the more rare used.

              Having an autocorrectfeature based on an clb, I would have to have this clb
              always selected to have it automagicly be my wizard. This will not happen -
              because I do not plan to add my autocorrections to every single clb. :o)

              Nicole

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                Okay, I take your point. Perhaps the solution is to let any clb serve as
                the autocorrect clb, but have the user explicitly designate which one that
                shall be -- so there's no need for the currently open clb to be the one from
                which you do autocorrect. This way, you could even apply autocorrect (or
                maybe autocomplete is better) within the clip editor!

                PH

              • Nicole Simon
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                  Harder, Paul wrote:
                  > Okay, I take your point. Perhaps the solution is to let any clb serve as
                  > the autocorrect clb, but have the user explicitly designate which one that
                  > shall be -- so there's no need for the currently open clb to be the one from
                  > which you do autocorrect. This way, you could even apply autocorrect (or
                  > maybe autocomplete is better) within the clip editor!

                  Jap. ;o)

                  Eric, please don't think I dislike it - I have asked for it. And I know
                  that most of the normal users will never have a problem with this. But
                  there are some, who will... ;o)

                  It does not have to be a clb; but I see the point that it may be easier for
                  some people to have it as a clb.

                  Somewhere, deeeep in my folders I have a ready made 'export your acl file'
                  from winword; I go searching for it. ;)
                  Nicole

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999

                    Nicole, I think Eric was wise to use a clb for this. Not only does it let
                    him implement a new capability by merely tweaking an existing one (without
                    adding a large quantitiy of new code and feature bloat), it also allows him
                    to use the full capabilities of that existing feature. Any autocomplete
                    clip has all the vast capabilities that an imaginative user can program into
                    any clip!

                    If I want, I could even program a clip so that, if I ever type the word
                    "nuke" followed by a space, my entire hard drive would then self destruct!
                    Uh, maybe I won't go there... <grin>

                    PH

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                      Hi Paul, Nicole, and Eric,

                      >Okay, I take your point. Perhaps the solution is to let any clb
                      >serve as the autocorrect clb, but have the user explicitly
                      >designate which one that shall be -- so there's no need for the
                      >currently open clb to be the one from which you do autocorrect.

                      Perhaps Eric can do something with FarClip for it. I still cannot
                      edit a clip with AutoCorrect on. When I hit one of the chacters to
                      execute it my commnad gets erased. No big deal to turn it off while
                      in Edit clip mode though it is not too user friendly.

                      c ya,
                      Jody Adair
                      Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                      http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

                    • Eric G.V. Fookes
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                        Hi Nicole,

                        > It is great, execpt.. I need to have a cliplibrary open to use it :(
                        >
                        > Based on my experience in Winword, I would find this more usefull if I had
                        > a file which I can choose to be my 'autocorrect'-file.

                        I agree to a certain extent. But the new auto-replace feature can do a lot more
                        than WinWord's autocorrect system. NoteTab can handle tasks like autocomplete
                        using Clip code and Wizards. Furthermore, you can have many libraries
                        configured to provide auto-replace. The advantage with the system I used is
                        that it is a lot more flexible than autocorrect in WinWord, adds very little
                        bloat to NoteTab, and is much more powerful.

                        > I know, which are my faults and I have deleted the whole winword file and
                        > replaced it with the few words I always mispell. If the feature would only
                        > be available through the clb, it would be no great enhancement for _me_,
                        > because I know my clipbooks and use f2 frequently.

                        It's true it is less convenient for people who work intensively with
                        traditional Clipbook libraries. I suppose that one suggestion I can make is
                        that you could create a Clip that does a search and replace for those few words
                        that you always misspell. So your document would be revised through a single
                        click of the mouse.

                        > I would prefer an option for 'the autocorrectfile' to be set either through
                        > options or even a clipcommand; so we could choose what to take as our
                        > clipfile.

                        Maybe in NoteTab Gold... <g>

                        > I find it very dangerous to be clip-based; think of a letter in which you
                        > write 'don't use this format' and you have a clipfile open in which you
                        > have a format c:\ clip. :o(

                        I don't understand what you mean by this. The auto-replace feature is only
                        activated if a library is defined as such, or if you force it into auto-replace
                        mode through the corresponding menu command.

                        Regards,
                        Eric Fookes
                        -----------

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                          Hi list,

                          > I agree to a certain extent. But the new auto-replace feature can do a lot more
                          > than WinWord's autocorrect system.

                          Yes. But in this case, I just want my beloved autocorrect. And no, that's
                          not just for the little selling mistakes. I use to have several things in
                          Winword, like my address, my bankaccount, special webpages etc. And, oh
                          yes, my name. I'm always writing Nciole or Nciole Ismon etc.

                          > configured to provide auto-replace. The advantage with the system I used is
                          > that it is a lot more flexible than autocorrect in WinWord, adds very little
                          > bloat to NoteTab, and is much more powerful.

                          This is also important.

                          > traditional Clipbook libraries. I suppose that one suggestion I can make is
                          > that you could create a Clip that does a search and replace for those few words
                          > that you always misspell. So your document would be revised through a single
                          > click of the mouse.

                          No. The charme of autocorrect is that it works in the background. Once my
                          list is defined, I will not even take notice of it working there. [a
                          colleague of mine is named Weng. I was wondering, why there was always Fr.
                          Wenig (Mrs. not so much) in my protocolls till I threw out the
                          autocorrectentry...]

                          > Maybe in NoteTab Gold... <g>

                          Ok, would be ok with me. When do we get it? :o)

                          Nicole

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                            Hi Jody,

                            > Perhaps Eric can do something with FarClip for it. I still cannot
                            > edit a clip with AutoCorrect on. When I hit one of the chacters to
                            > execute it my commnad gets erased. No big deal to turn it off while
                            > in Edit clip mode though it is not too user friendly.

                            Auto-replace is disabled while you are in the Clip editor. Nothing should
                            happen.

                            Regards,
                            Eric Fookes
                            -----------
                            NoteTab v4.52 available from

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 1, 1999
                              Hi Eric,

                              >Auto-replace is disabled while you are in the Clip editor. Nothing should
                              >happen.

                              I must have been in an earlier version - downloaded
                              again and it works now as you say kind sir. :)

                              Später,
                              Jody Adair

                              I can only please one person a day.
                              Today is obviously not your day.