[NTB] Re: Variables in Wizards

  • Nicole Simon
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 1999
      Nicole Simon wrote:
      > Quick guess: Try ^?{}

      Sorry, didn't saw Jody had an answer on this (I relied on my agent to show
      me all follow-ups directly beneath the mail)

      Nicole

      --
      Dust Puppy: »Well. It is a long story ...
      but every saga has a beginning.«

    • richardg@singnet.com.sg
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
        This goes back to a 2/3/1999 thread ...

        The issue is not being able to use a ^%ValueList% in a [] Wizard.
        Per Jody, the reasoning is that, since the ValueList needs to be set
        before the Wizard is executed, and since the Wizard gets executed
        1st, then there is no basis for the ValueList.

        I disagree. If you WANT the ValueList to have a string, all you have
        to do is to set it in one clip, and then call the clip that has the
        [] Wizard. The ValueList variable gets set before the [] is executed.

        If the clipwriter chooses to NOT set the ValueList, then I think the
        result should be to just treat it as a blank list. (Which is the way
        the {} works if ValueList is empty.)

        What is happening now is that the "value" shown when the [] Wizard
        runs is "%ValueList%"

        Why not just use {}? Well, because my clip assembles some text that
        has 5 parameters, and I don't want the user to have to enter them one
        by one. He should see the whole [] set, and fill in the appropriate
        ones, tabbing to the next. Further, after the [] is executed, I
        should be able to set ValueList to the input value, so that becomes
        the default for next time, and he only changes variables that need be.

        By the way, the syntax I'm using is

        ^!Set %Line%=^?[Line Number=^%LineNumberValueList%]
        ^!Set %LineNumberValueList%=^%Line%
        ^!Set %ColStart%=^?[First Column=^%FirstColumnValueList%]
        ^!Set %FirstColumnValueList%=^%ColStart%
        etc

        If there is a workaround, or a better way to do this, please let me
        know!

        Dick

        --- In notetab@y..., Jody <KJB1611@m...> wrote:
        > Hi Steve,
        >
        > >ie. I have to enter multiple items, many of which have the
        > >data the same. I'd like to not have to edit the clip each
        > >time and manually enter the data.
        > >
        > >What I tried: ^!Set %zip%=^?[Zip=|^%zip%|98362]
        >
        > Variables need to use the curley quotes so that command is
        > acted upon when it is its turn in the script. NoteTab will
        > ask the square prompts before starting the actual script so
        > the variable is not set. Try:
        >
        > ^!Set %zip%=^?{Zip=|^%zip%|98362}
        >
        > Happy NoteTabbin',
        > Jody Adair
        > http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm

        ----
        > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/notetab
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
          Hi,

          >Why not just use {}? Well, because my clip assembles some text that
          >has 5 parameters, and I don't want the user to have to enter them one
          >by one. He should see the whole [] set, and fill in the appropriate
          >ones, tabbing to the next.

          You can have the curly wizards show up all at once by putting them on the
          same line. You can also define several variables separated by a semi colon
          on the same line. Like so:

          ^!Set %var1%=^?{Wiz1=}; %var2%=^?{Wiz2=}; %var3%=^?{Wiz3=}

          Lotta
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
            richardg@... wrote:

            > This goes back to a 2/3/1999 thread ...
            >

            > What is happening now is that the "value" shown when the [] Wizard
            > runs is "%ValueList%"
            >
            > Why not just use {}? Well, because my clip assembles some text that
            > has 5 parameters, and I don't want the user to have to enter them one
            > by one. He should see the whole [] set, and fill in the appropriate
            > ones, tabbing to the next. Further, after the [] is executed, I
            > should be able to set ValueList to the input value, so that becomes
            > the default for next time, and he only changes variables that need be.
            >
            > By the way, the syntax I'm using is
            >
            > ^!Set %Line%=^?[Line Number=^%LineNumberValueList%]
            > ^!Set %LineNumberValueList%=^%Line%
            > ^!Set %ColStart%=^?[First Column=^%FirstColumnValueList%]
            > ^!Set %FirstColumnValueList%=^%ColStart%
            > etc
            >
            > If there is a workaround, or a better way to do this, please let me
            > know!
            >
            > Dick

            Hi Dick,

            See if this will help. These are the 4 lines you have above,
            when I put this in a clip I get a 2 line wizard.

            ^!Set %Line%=^?{Line Number=^%LineNumberValueList%};
            %LineNumberValueList%=^%Line%; %ColStart%=^?{First
            Column=^%FirstColumnValueList%};
            %FirstColumnValueList%=^%ColStart%

            hrs
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 13, 2001
              Hi Richard,

              >This goes back to a 2/3/1999 thread ...
              >
              >The issue is not being able to use a ^%ValueList% in a [] Wizard.
              >Per Jody, the reasoning is that, since the ValueList needs to be set
              >before the Wizard is executed, and since the Wizard gets executed
              >1st, then there is no basis for the ValueList.
              >
              >I disagree.

              I don't with what I said. ;) See the post I just sent to the
              Clips list on this which explains why I replied the way I did.
              Perhaps we will both agree then. Please send anymore Clip
              questions/answers/replies to the Clips list. See below.

              Happy Clip'n!

              Subscribe, UnSubscribe, Options
              http://www.egroups.com/group/ntb-clips