[NTB] Replace question

  • djust@netvision.net.il
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
      How do I prevent the not-found error box appearing after
      repeated replaces, when the search reaches the last one on the
      page?

      Thanks,
      David.

      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
        Hi David,

        >How do I prevent the not-found error box appearing after
        >repeated replaces, when the search reaches the last one on the
        >page?

        I believe that can only be done in a clip with the "S" option.

        ^!Replace "This" >> "That" AS

        It replaces all occurrences from the cursor position to the
        bottom of the page.

        Strange thing though, I do not see the error now no matter what
        I try. What version are you running?

        c ya,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

      • djust@netvision.net.il
        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
          > Hi David,
          >
          > >How do I prevent the not-found error box appearing after
          > >repeated replaces, when the search reaches the last one on the
          > >page?
          >
          > I believe that can only be done in a clip with the "S" option.
          >
          > ^!Replace "This" >> "That" AS
          >
          > It replaces all occurrences from the cursor position to the
          > bottom of the page.
          >
          > Strange thing though, I do not see the error now no matter what
          > I try. What version are you running?
          Good evening, Joseph!
          4.52/np.

          Thanks,
          David.

        • djust@netvision.net.il
          Message 4 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
            > Hi David,
            >
            > >How do I prevent the not-found error box appearing after
            > >repeated replaces, when the search reaches the last one on the
            > >page?
            >
            > I believe that can only be done in a clip with the "S" option.
            >
            > ^!Replace "This" >> "That" AS
            I have to use a loop with repeated "^!Find"s, since I'm essentially
            trying to replace a regular expression and I don't think that 4.52
            supports Replace-ing regular expressions.
            However, the clip's working just fine now with
            ^!Find ^PHardcover S
            ^!IFError enddeletes
            I can't understand why you weren't getting the error message.
            Try something like
            :horribleloop
            ^!Find whatever
            ^!Goto horribleloop
            and you should get it once you pass the last "whatever" on the
            object page.
            Without the S, I kept getting it, and without the ^!IfError, the clip
            was either suffering from some sort of paralysis or getting stuck
            in the loop which I had intentionally written. Seems to need both.

            Thanks,
            David.

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
              Hi David,

              >> ^!Replace "This" >> "That" AS
              >I have to use a loop with repeated "^!Find"s, since I'm essentially
              >trying to replace a regular expression and I don't think that 4.52
              >supports Replace-ing regular expressions.

              You should be able to use the A option for all occurrences. You
              should be able to search for regular expressions, just don't check
              the box that says to use them.

              ^!Find ^PHardcover SA
              ^!IFError enddeletes

              Add "W" to do the whole doc.

              >However, the clip's working just fine now with
              >^!Find ^PHardcover S
              >^!IFError enddeletes

              True. I didn't tell you about the IfError, because you wanted to
              know about not getting the error. In other words, I forgot. <g>

              >:horribleloop
              >^!Find whatever
              >^!Goto horribleloop

              That's true and expected without the "S."

              >Seems to need both.

              Yessirrie Bob! Glad you figured it out so it will help
              you remember that way. :-)

              c ya,
              Jody Adair
              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

              http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

            • News2You Copy Writing
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                Is there a clip that will search out duplicates in a list (for example, and
                e-mail list?) I am looking for something where I don't have to ask address
                by address, just ""show me the dupes"

                Possible?

                TIA,

                Ev

                mailto:elb@home-work?subject=show_me_the_dupe

              • News2You Copy Writing
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                  By the way, the lists are plain text and one to a line. Very simple.

                  Ev

                  Message 8 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                    Hi Ev,

                    >Is there a clip that will search out duplicates in a list
                    >(for example, and e-mail list?)
                    >just ""show me the dupes"

                    This is just a basic one that will show dups. Your eMail
                    addresses must each be on one line.

                    H=Check4Dups
                    ^!SetWizardTitle Find Duplicates
                    ^!Set %Save%=Dups^%nl%
                    ^!Jump Doc_End
                    ^!InsertText ^p^p
                    ^!Jump 1

                    :Start
                    ^!Select Eol
                    ^!Set %Row%=^$GetRow$
                    ^!Set %Data%=^$GetSelection$

                    :Find
                    ^!Find "^%Data%" IS
                    ^!IfError DoNext
                    ^!Jump +1
                    ^!Append %Save%=^%Data%^%nl%
                    ^!Inc %Row%
                    ^!Jump ^%Row%
                    ^!If "^$GetRow$" = "^$GetLineCount$" Info
                    ^!GoTo Start

                    :DoNext
                    ^!Jump +1
                    ^!GoTo Start

                    :Info

                    :EndBreak
                    ^!IfTrue ^$GetRow$ End
                    ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ = 0 InsEnd
                    ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
                    ^!Goto EndBreak

                    :InsEnd
                    ^!InsertText ^p
                    ^!Jump 1

                    ^!Info [L]^%Save%

                    Happy NoteTabbin',
                    Jody Adair
                    http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm

                  • News2You Copy Writing
                    Message 9 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                      Jody, THANKS, it works like a charm. Now, this may be beyond simple clips,
                      but is it possible to get NoteTab to DELETE the dups leaving one of the
                      duplicated addresses?

                      Also, NoteTab being as through as it is, it is finding PARTS of addresses
                      that are the same. For example:

                      Adc63@...
                      Xyz63@...
                      Elb63@...

                      And

                      63@...

                      All get highlighted as dupes of 63@...

                      Hmmmmmmmmmmm, what now?

                      Ev

                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                        Hi Ev,

                        >Jody, THANKS, it works like a charm. Now, this may be beyond simple >clips, but is it possible to get NoteTab to DELETE the dups leaving
                        >one of the duplicated addresses?

                        That's how I had it before I changed it to what you wanted it to
                        do - look at it. :)

                        >Elb63@...
                        >63@...
                        >
                        >All get highlighted as dupes of 63@...
                        >
                        >Hmmmmmmmmmmm, what now?

                        I think I can fix that with the "C" option. Remeber this is
                        just the basic one. If you have triplicates it will not get
                        the two extras. Just run it till no more show up in the info
                        box. :-) I have one the does a lot more, but it's too long
                        to post here.

                        H=Try This
                        ^!SetWizardTitle Find Duplicates
                        ^!Set %Save%=Dups^%nl%
                        ^!Jump Doc_End
                        ^!InsertText ^p^p
                        ^!Jump 1

                        :Start
                        ^!Select Eol
                        ^!Set %Row%=^$GetRow$
                        ^!Set %Data%=^$GetSelection$

                        :Find
                        ^!Find "^%Data%" ISC
                        ^!IfError DoNext
                        ;^!Jump +1
                        ^!DeleteLine
                        ^!Append %Save%=^%Data%^%nl%
                        ^!Inc %Row%
                        ^!Jump ^%Row%
                        ^!If "^$GetRow$" = "^$GetLineCount$" Info
                        ^!GoTo Start

                        :DoNext
                        ^!Jump +1
                        ^!GoTo Start

                        :Info

                        :EndBreak
                        ^!IfTrue ^$GetRow$ End
                        ^!If ^$IsEmpty(^$GetLine$)$ = 0 InsEnd
                        ^!Replace "^p" >> "" SB
                        ^!Goto EndBreak

                        :InsEnd
                        ^!InsertText ^p
                        ^!Jump 1

                        ^!Info [L]^%Save%

                        c ya,
                        Jody Adair
                        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

                      • Kay Roath
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                          2/2/1999 7:31 PM News2You Copy Writing wrote

                          > Jody, THANKS, it works like a charm. Now, this may be beyond simple clips,
                          > but is it possible to get NoteTab to DELETE the dups leaving one of the
                          > duplicated addresses?

                          View Menu - Options - Tools - Sort Removes Duplicates
                          (checked) if you don't mind having the email addresses
                          sorted.

                          --- Grandma Kay ---
                          Introduction to NoteTab 4,5 Clip Programming
                          http://notetab.kay.net

                        • News2You Copy Writing
                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                            Grandma Kay,

                            I looked for and found this option, checked it, clicked ok, closed and
                            rebooted the program, made sure it was still checked, and tried it. Sort it
                            did, remove dupes it did not which is really to bad since having this as one
                            function would be great. Any ideas why it did not work?

                            Ev

                            Message 13 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                              Hi Ev,

                              >Sort it did, remove dupes it did not which is really to bad
                              >since having this as one function would be great. Any ideas
                              >why it did not work?

                              You should just be able to select all 0r just what you want
                              sorted and do it. If you are in 4.52 it should work. Do take
                              a close look at your file though. Select All and scroll up
                              and down looking to make sure there are not spaces behind some
                              of them. Sometime that is common in eMail files, or at least
                              the ones that drove me nuts for awhile when I was sorting them.

                              c ya,
                              Jody Adair
                              Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                              http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611

                            • Claes Gauffin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Feb 2, 1999
                                At 01:14 1999-02-03 -0500, you wrote:

                                >I looked for and found this option, checked it, clicked ok, closed and
                                >rebooted the program, made sure it was still checked, and tried it. Sort it
                                >did, remove dupes it did not which is really to bad since having this as one
                                >function would be great. Any ideas why it did not work?

                                I had that problem. Nowadays I always _first_ do a Modify/Lines/Trim blanks,
                                _then_ a Modify/Lines/Sort. Keeps me happier:)

                                /Claes

                              • Kay Roath
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 3, 1999
                                  2/3/1999 12:14 AM News2You Copy Writing wrote

                                  > I looked for and found this option, checked it, clicked ok, closed and
                                  > rebooted the program......<snip>

                                  You don't need to restart NoteTab after making changes in
                                  Options :) The advice from others about spaces should solve
                                  your dup not deleted problem but you might also want to
                                  make sure that Case Sensitive Sorting (Tools tab in Options)
                                  isn't checked.

                                  Sorting will work on selected text only or all text if
                                  nothing is selected.

                                • h.paulissen@facburfdcw.unimaas.nl
                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 13, 2002
                                    Hi Julie,

                                    > blahblahblah=http://link1.com
                                    > blah=http://link2.com
                                    > thisisnumber3=http://link3.com
                                    > etc.
                                    >
                                    > How can I quickly get rid of everything from the beginning of
                                    > the line
                                    > until the http so I just have a list of the links? I'm
                                    > assuming this can be
                                    > done with regular expressions?>

                                    Right!

                                    Check Regular Exp. in the Replace Diaolog Box.

                                    Search for ".*{http}" (without the quotes)

                                    Replace with "\1" (ditto, \1 stands for the pattern between {})

                                    TIP:

                                    You can go to the start of the document by doubleclicking in a non-active
                                    area of the Replace Diaolog Box.

                                    Hugo
                                  • Alec Burgess
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 13, 2002
                                      Hugo.
                                      > TIP:
                                      >
                                      > You can go to the start of the document by
                                      doubleclicking
                                      > in a non-active area of the Replace Diaolog Box.

                                      Neat trick, thanks! (If not using Regexp and search
                                      direction is UP it looks like you can get to the bottom
                                      in the same way). Eric is SOOOO brilliant.

                                      Regards ... Alec