[NTB] Re: system resouces ... ?? ... *||:>)

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
      Thanks Larry ... I had forgotten about that option in windows 98 ...
      actually
      tho I was hoping that someone had or knew of something like ps -ef which
      is a unix process boogy ... for windows 98 ... it looks at the process
      and helps you figure out who is or was or is about to go belly up ...
      <G>

      Bill the scott ..... *||:>)

      MAY THOSE THAT LOVE US .... LOVE US AND THOSE TAH NAY LOVE ... us
      MAY GOD TURN THIER HEARTS ... AND IF HE CAN NAY TURN THIER HEARTS
      MAY HE TURN THIER ANKLES SO WE'LL KIN THEM BY THIER LIMPING ...
      NO SPELL CHECKER USED ..... *||:>)

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
        Hi Julie, and All,

        >>>does anyone know of a small program or clip to check system resources
        >>>for win 98 ??

        >There's a much easier way to get there, without all those menu
        >commands. Select Start, Run type

        Copy your path from the Start/Run button in 98 (or however you
        want to get the path) and then you can launch it from NoteTab.

        H=System Monitor
        ^!C:\WINDOWS\Sysmon.exe

        Happy NoteTabbin',
        Jody Adair
        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm

      • Julie Gleitsmann
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
          Hi,

          I sent this over the weekend and I think it fell into a cyberhole somewhere.

          This clip opens a document in Word for me:

          ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc

          How can I paste the clipboard contents into this document when it opens?

          thanks,
          Julie
          -----
          If there is disorder in the culture, it merely reflects the disorder in our
          souls. - Cal Thomas

          http://maranatha.net/jlg
          http://maranatha.net/jlg/joy (updated 11/12)

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
            Hi Julie,

            >^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
            >
            >How can I paste the clipboard contents into this document when it opens?

            ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
            ^!Delay ^?[Delay till paste in 1/10th sec increments]
            ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

            ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
            ^!Delay 15
            ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

            You might need to play around with Focusapp. I couldn't
            try any of these due to a path problem to Word.

            ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
            ^!Delay 15
            ^!FocusApp Microsoft Word*
            ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
              thats cool ... I just pasted it into a new clip and it ran ... You amaze
              me buddy .. and you almost know your KJB as good as me .... *||:>)

              I have a question for your crsytal ball ..... I let this sys mon run ...
              with everything like I normally have it and .... it will be going along
              at aboot ..
              35% or so and then ... with me not doing anything .... it jumps to ....
              100%
              and then .... along for awhile ... and babing ... 80% ..... I am going
              to ask this question .... I let my cpu heat sink fan get pretty clogged
              and then I replaced the battery ... and cleaned the fan ... still I am
              losing .... time ...
              do you kin that the cpu is flaky .... or ... the fluctuation is normal
              ... I always am online and have a bunch of stuff running .... *||:>)
              .... trying tae justifiy
              a faster cpu .... I'M A WEE BIT THRIFTY ... YE KNOW ...

              BILL

            • SCOTTSNET - Toby Scott
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                Bill,

                If you are doing nothing and the computer starts running on its own, it is
                almost always Find Fast -- Microsoft's indexer working overtime. You can go
                to the Control Panel and change the schedule for it. I thing by default it
                runs every hour. It needs to run about once a day. I've turned mine off
                entirely.

                -Toby

              • Bill Scott
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                  Thanks laddie ... that seems to have helped .... I think I found the
                  problem though I had some options set in webcelarator that was using
                  alot of system resources .... but when I changed them ... it still pop's
                  up ... but stays way more stable ... I have a large amount of memory so
                  ... it is not writng to disk but in mem.... anyway ... the find fast tip
                  is good I set mine back from every
                  two hours to 24 let watch that for a wee while and see .... *||:>)

                  Thae's quite a fine last name ye hav ladd...

                  Cheers

                  Bill and Margie Scott

                • Larry Thomas
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                    Hi Bill,

                    At 07:01 AM 1/5/99 -0800, you wrote:
                    >Thanks Larry ... I had forgotten about that option in windows 98 ...
                    >actually
                    >tho I was hoping that someone had or knew of something like ps -ef which
                    >is a unix process boogy ... for windows 98 ... it looks at the process
                    >and helps you figure out who is or was or is about to go belly up ...
                    ><G>
                    >
                    >Bill the scott ..... *||:>)

                    I worked with Unix/Xenix for about eight years (1985-1993) and I am fairly
                    familiar with the ps -elf (processes) command. It was, along with the
                    "Kill Processes" command, a real time saver for me in a time when software
                    was not freindly and wanted to print out 100 plus pages of garbage after my
                    printer got jammed or the ribbon got twisted or jumped out of the print
                    head. I have thought about this and as close as I can get is the DOS mem
                    command (mem /d). You can run this command from NoteTab and capture the
                    output in an open NoteTab document using the following clip:

                    ---------< start clip >---------
                    H="MEM /D"
                    ^$GetOutput("Mem /D")$
                    ---------< end clip >-----------

                    Regards,

                    Larry Thomas
                    larryt@...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                      Hi Bill,

                      >Thanks laddie ... that seems to have helped .... I
                      >think I found the problem though I had some
                      >options set in webcelarator that was using alot of
                      >system resources .

                      Glad you are getting somewhere with this. In the
                      future, lets try to stay a bit more NoteTab
                      related please, especially on the basic list.
                      Also, when replying, please keep the person's name
                      in the post so we know who you are talking to -
                      thanks!!!

                      >I have a question for your crsytal ball ..... I
                      >let this sys mon run ... with everything like I
                      >normally have it and .... it will be going along
                      >at aboot .. 35% or so and then ... with me not
                      >doing anything .... it jumps to .... 100% and then
                      >.... along for awhile ... and babing ... 80% .....

                      Since I'm already posting:

                      Do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and see what is running when you
                      resources are high. do the same after they drop and
                      see if anything started up. Also, check the programs
                      running by closing them one at a time. You might
                      need to do a "End Task" from the Ctrl+Alt+Del window.

                      The places you want to check for programs starting on
                      their own are:

                      C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\
                      C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI (Check for run=Program\Path or load=Program\Path
                      or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSEDIT.EXE)

                      C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Run
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\RunOnce
                      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\RunServicesOnce

                      Später,
                      Jody Adair

                      I can only please one person a day.
                      Today is obviously not your day.
                      Tomorrow does not look good either. :-)

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 12, 1999
                        gi us a wee push .... nicole

                        *||:>)

                      • Nicole Simon
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 12, 1999
                          Larry Thomas wrote:
                          > I have thought about this and as close as I can get is the DOS mem
                          > command (mem /d).

                          There are unixports for windows out there and as far as I remember there is
                          also a ps.

                          Perhaps you give one of the freeware unixcollections a try?

                          Nicole

                          --
                          Dust Puppy: »Well. It is a long story ...
                          but every saga has a beginning.«

                        • Nicole Simon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 12, 1999
                            Bill Scott wrote: