[NTB] Re: system resouces ... ??

  • Julie Gleitsmann
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
      >At 05:53 PM 1/4/99 -0800, you wrote:
      >>Hi all:
      >>
      >>does anyone know of a small program or clip to check system resources
      >>for win 98 ??

      Just read this:

      And now for today's tip...

      NEXT TIME, TAKE THE DIRECT ROUTE

      In a previous tip, we told you that you can use the Startup tab of the
      System Configuration Utility to disable those elusive auto-start
      programs (the ones that start whenever Windows 98 starts). We also
      showed you how to open this utility: Select Start, Programs,
      Accessories, System Tools, System Information; and in the resulting
      window, select Tools, System Configuration Utility. Whew!

      There's a much easier way to get there, without all those menu
      commands. Select Start, Run type

      msconfig

      and click OK.

      Julie

    • Bill Scott
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
        Thanks Larry ... I had forgotten about that option in windows 98 ...
        actually
        tho I was hoping that someone had or knew of something like ps -ef which
        is a unix process boogy ... for windows 98 ... it looks at the process
        and helps you figure out who is or was or is about to go belly up ...
        <G>

        Bill the scott ..... *||:>)

        MAY THOSE THAT LOVE US .... LOVE US AND THOSE TAH NAY LOVE ... us
        MAY GOD TURN THIER HEARTS ... AND IF HE CAN NAY TURN THIER HEARTS
        MAY HE TURN THIER ANKLES SO WE'LL KIN THEM BY THIER LIMPING ...
        NO SPELL CHECKER USED ..... *||:>)

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
          Hi Julie, and All,

          >>>does anyone know of a small program or clip to check system resources
          >>>for win 98 ??

          >There's a much easier way to get there, without all those menu
          >commands. Select Start, Run type

          Copy your path from the Start/Run button in 98 (or however you
          want to get the path) and then you can launch it from NoteTab.

          H=System Monitor
          ^!C:\WINDOWS\Sysmon.exe

          Happy NoteTabbin',
          Jody Adair
          http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm

        • Julie Gleitsmann
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
            Hi,

            I sent this over the weekend and I think it fell into a cyberhole somewhere.

            This clip opens a document in Word for me:

            ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc

            How can I paste the clipboard contents into this document when it opens?

            thanks,
            Julie
            -----
            If there is disorder in the culture, it merely reflects the disorder in our
            souls. - Cal Thomas

            http://maranatha.net/jlg
            http://maranatha.net/jlg/joy (updated 11/12)

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
              Hi Julie,

              >^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
              >
              >How can I paste the clipboard contents into this document when it opens?

              ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
              ^!Delay ^?[Delay till paste in 1/10th sec increments]
              ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

              ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
              ^!Delay 15
              ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

              You might need to play around with Focusapp. I couldn't
              try any of these due to a path problem to Word.

              ^!C:\MSOffice\Office\WINWORD.EXE c:\julie\KeysForKids.doc
              ^!Delay 15
              ^!FocusApp Microsoft Word*
              ^!KeyBoard Ctrl+V

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                thats cool ... I just pasted it into a new clip and it ran ... You amaze
                me buddy .. and you almost know your KJB as good as me .... *||:>)

                I have a question for your crsytal ball ..... I let this sys mon run ...
                with everything like I normally have it and .... it will be going along
                at aboot ..
                35% or so and then ... with me not doing anything .... it jumps to ....
                100%
                and then .... along for awhile ... and babing ... 80% ..... I am going
                to ask this question .... I let my cpu heat sink fan get pretty clogged
                and then I replaced the battery ... and cleaned the fan ... still I am
                losing .... time ...
                do you kin that the cpu is flaky .... or ... the fluctuation is normal
                ... I always am online and have a bunch of stuff running .... *||:>)
                .... trying tae justifiy
                a faster cpu .... I'M A WEE BIT THRIFTY ... YE KNOW ...

                BILL

              • SCOTTSNET - Toby Scott
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                  Bill,

                  If you are doing nothing and the computer starts running on its own, it is
                  almost always Find Fast -- Microsoft's indexer working overtime. You can go
                  to the Control Panel and change the schedule for it. I thing by default it
                  runs every hour. It needs to run about once a day. I've turned mine off
                  entirely.

                  -Toby

                • Bill Scott
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                    Thanks laddie ... that seems to have helped .... I think I found the
                    problem though I had some options set in webcelarator that was using
                    alot of system resources .... but when I changed them ... it still pop's
                    up ... but stays way more stable ... I have a large amount of memory so
                    ... it is not writng to disk but in mem.... anyway ... the find fast tip
                    is good I set mine back from every
                    two hours to 24 let watch that for a wee while and see .... *||:>)

                    Thae's quite a fine last name ye hav ladd...

                    Cheers

                    Bill and Margie Scott

                  • Larry Thomas
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                      Hi Bill,

                      At 07:01 AM 1/5/99 -0800, you wrote:
                      >Thanks Larry ... I had forgotten about that option in windows 98 ...
                      >actually
                      >tho I was hoping that someone had or knew of something like ps -ef which
                      >is a unix process boogy ... for windows 98 ... it looks at the process
                      >and helps you figure out who is or was or is about to go belly up ...
                      ><G>
                      >
                      >Bill the scott ..... *||:>)

                      I worked with Unix/Xenix for about eight years (1985-1993) and I am fairly
                      familiar with the ps -elf (processes) command. It was, along with the
                      "Kill Processes" command, a real time saver for me in a time when software
                      was not freindly and wanted to print out 100 plus pages of garbage after my
                      printer got jammed or the ribbon got twisted or jumped out of the print
                      head. I have thought about this and as close as I can get is the DOS mem
                      command (mem /d). You can run this command from NoteTab and capture the
                      output in an open NoteTab document using the following clip:

                      ---------< start clip >---------
                      H="MEM /D"
                      ^$GetOutput("Mem /D")$
                      ---------< end clip >-----------

                      Regards,

                      Larry Thomas
                      larryt@...

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 5, 1999
                        Hi Bill,

                        >Thanks laddie ... that seems to have helped .... I
                        >think I found the problem though I had some
                        >options set in webcelarator that was using alot of
                        >system resources .

                        Glad you are getting somewhere with this. In the
                        future, lets try to stay a bit more NoteTab
                        related please, especially on the basic list.
                        Also, when replying, please keep the person's name
                        in the post so we know who you are talking to -
                        thanks!!!

                        >I have a question for your crsytal ball ..... I
                        >let this sys mon run ... with everything like I
                        >normally have it and .... it will be going along
                        >at aboot .. 35% or so and then ... with me not
                        >doing anything .... it jumps to .... 100% and then
                        >.... along for awhile ... and babing ... 80% .....

                        Since I'm already posting:

                        Do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and see what is running when you
                        resources are high. do the same after they drop and
                        see if anything started up. Also, check the programs
                        running by closing them one at a time. You might
                        need to do a "End Task" from the Ctrl+Alt+Del window.

                        The places you want to check for programs starting on
                        their own are:

                        C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\
                        C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI (Check for run=Program\Path or load=Program\Path
                        or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSEDIT.EXE)

                        C:\WINDOWS\REGEDIT.EXE
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Run
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\RunOnce
                        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\RunServicesOnce

                        Später,
                        Jody Adair

                        I can only please one person a day.
                        Today is obviously not your day.
                        Tomorrow does not look good either. :-)

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 12, 1999
                          gi us a wee push .... nicole

                          *||:>)

                        • Nicole Simon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 12, 1999
                            Larry Thomas wrote:
                            > I have thought about this and as close as I can get is the DOS mem
                            > command (mem /d).

                            There are unixports for windows out there and as far as I remember there is
                            also a ps.

                            Perhaps you give one of the freeware unixcollections a try?

                            Nicole

                            --
                            Dust Puppy: »Well. It is a long story ...
                            but every saga has a beginning.«

                          • Nicole Simon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 12, 1999
                              Bill Scott wrote: