[NTB] Re: Search and Look up...

  • R.S.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 1999
      Hi Jody,

      At 12:13 AM 01/03/99 -0600, you wrote:

      >Here is an example of how you can search a bit easier without
      >the wait for a page to come up before you type in.

      I thought you'd forgotten the main clips! To my surprise, they worked as they are.

      Fascinating! But how? You are typing things in NoteTab, not in your browser...

      Regards,

      RS

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 1999
        Hi R.S.,

        >I thought you'd forgotten the main clips! To my surprise,
        >they worked as they are.
        >
        >Fascinating! But how? You are typing things in NoteTab,
        >not in your browser...

        <G> NoteTab just opens/reloads the default browser and I
        suppose Windows puts the Url in the location area. I did
        not check out but about a half dozen Search Engines, but
        they all see to use the same boolean equations, especially
        for "AND" which is the plus sign. (See the search help/tips
        in some of the engines for advanced searches.)

        It is simple to figure out what format a particular engine
        uses, but a bit time consuming if you want a lot of them.
        In NoteTab type in an open doc the Url to the main engine
        page and click to it:

        1. www.webcrawler.com
        2. Type in keywords: dog cat
        (lowercase is case insensitive on the ones I checked)
        3. Hit search and then copy the text in the location window.

        http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=dog+cat

        For just a single search engine like the first post I posted
        replace your keywords with the prompt and put in NoteTab's
        launch format.

        H=WebCrawler
        ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^?[Search format: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes]

        or for a smaller wizard window:

        H=WebCrawler
        ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
        ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^?{=)

        or build onto the wizard I send it the second post:

        H=Engine List
        ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
        ^!Set %p_Engine%=^?{=_^%p_Engine%|Alta Vista|InfoSeek2|Real Names|WebCrawler}; %p_Criteria%=^?{Insert plus sign between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes=^%p_Criteria%}; %Home%=^?{Start the search?=Goto home page only^=Yes|_Search Web^=No}

        ^!Clip "^%p_Engine%"

        H=WebCrawler
        ^!IfTrue ^%Home% Skip_2
        ^!SetWizardTitle + between words: NoteTab+Pro+Fookes
        ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/cgi-bin/WebQuery?searchText=^%p_Criteria%
        ^!Goto End

        ^!Url http://www.webcrawler.com/

        Notice in that I added to just go to the start page. You replace
        the NoteTab prompt with "^%p_Criteria%" from the first example.
        The %p_Engine% label tells NoteTab which engine to use and goes to
        the associated "^!Clip".

        We ought to bring this over to the advanced list if we want to
        discuss it more.

        Happy NoteTabbin',
        Jody Adair
        http://www.mindspring.com/~kjb1611/notetab/notetab.htm